Weighting of Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighting of Form

Sometimes I just don't get how form is calculated. If I compare two bowlers the one that looks like most probably has the better form is nearly 2 stars below the one that looks like has worse form.

Does player ability have more effect on their form?

When I compare Rabada and Hunn performances over 4 first class game the won with better strike rate, similar economy rate, average but has bowled more overs has the worse form. Rabada did play one T20 game, but his form increased slightly from it.

Rabada has slightly over 1 star while Hunn has slightly under 3 star as shown in the attached images.
    Last edited by LastWicket; 08-09-2016, 01:05 AM.

Pretty sure ability has at least some effect on form, and I fairly often use it to help judge the quality of players. Easy way to see this is the case is by looking at the 'batting form' for the bowlers in your squad - although it doesn't have an effect on their overall form, you can see that some bowlers get batting form with very low scores. I've attached an extreme example here!

Comment

I'm pretty sure form is calculated against a player's personal average so a player with fantastic stats like Rabada might be considered slightly out of form even when taking lots of wickets (if each wicket is costing a few more runs than his average).

How do other forum users judge form versus player ability when making selection decisions? I've found it tricky in a recent SA save - lots of good fast bowlers to choose from but when do you drop a player as good as Dale Steyn? Even at 25% of his best form he should still take wickets regularly...

Also I know it's been adjusted for this edition but the calculation of form for bowlers in limited overs games still doesn't seem to reward economical bowling very much. Tight bowling can win these games but the form rating can still dip dramatically for bowlers who are bowling tightly but not taking wickets.
      Last edited by Michael H; 08-10-2016, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X