T20 Struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T20 Struggles

Firstly, let me preface that I'm playing 2016 on IOS. I'd post in that forum but it hasn't had any action in over a year so I'm thinking that I'm not likely to get much of a response!

Really enjoying the game so far, lots to like. I've had a few trial games before settling on trying to rebuild Derbyshire on Normal difficulty. I've simmed through 2 seasons to get some squad turnover going and recruit some players to start turning things around.

I've had success in year 3 in FC games. Pretty happy there. RR isn't an issue in the longer format, had 4 games, 1 loss, 2 wins and a draw. I've not played a one day game yet, but I'm thinking I'll be somewhat ok as 50 overs is still a while and my score after 50 overs of a FC game isn't terrible. Enough room to push on, anyway.

T20 however, jeez. That is a write off. Relatively small sample size, but I've played a few games and lost by 9 wickets twice. My team isn't amazing, but I do have Kieran Pollard and my guys have career T20 averages in the 20s with the bat and high 30s with the ball. I do still have a few defensive guys in there, but I just don't have many options. Is it better to go with an under performing or not so good aggresive or V aggresive bat, or maybe stick the a better defensive guy?

By default your openers start on 1 notch down from max aggression. I simply can't get guys to score at more than 3 an over. If I turn the aggression up or leave it that high, it's an instant fall of wicket. I'm lucky if I can make it to 50. Even when I turn the aggression up, I still get guys leaving balls. T20, playing a leave!! The CPU has no issue knocking me around for 8/10/12 an over, making games incredibly one sided. I've honestly no idea what to do.

Any tips anyone can give me on T20 would be appreciated. I'm at the point already of just simming them as i'll probably be a lot more successful. I don't mind losing and accept that my squad isn't really that competitive right now anyway, but if I'm getting demolished like it's the 1985 West Indies team vs my local XI and things are so one sided things that the game appears a little "broken", design wise, then I'll just sim them.

Thanks for the help, and listening to me rant

Hi,

Yes, we haven't used the iPhone forum for a while. With the new project that we started and released in 2014. The game now has minimal differences across all platforms, we want to keep it one forum rather than separate forums for each platform.

Firstly, check out the Rough guides format stickied thread at the top of this forum.

Ball-by-ball is a must in 20 overs (and at key stages in 50 overs). If you get a 4 or 6 in the first couple of balls you can turn down the batting aggression and

Don't get too caught up in aggression type. I averaged 50 in a season with a defensive batsman (Jeet Raval) at a strike rate of 140. Personally though, I really only want one defensive player in a 20 over team, unless they're really good. It generally takes me 2-3 seasons to start getting a team together how I want, depending who I'm playing with.

Get your best players at the top of the order, the longer they can bat, the better.

You really do need to have your own fields,.I'll have one or two for powerplay overs and then a few to change between in non-powerplay short-format matches. Attack with your best bowlers early, wickets are vital. I'll then go back to 2-3. A good spinner is important.

Sureshot

Comment

Whether you have your own fields or the standard ones i believe the key is to adapt the field to the batsman.

If he is pulling to leg then adjust the field according - another good reason for doing ball by ball and seeing where the boundaries are being scored.

Also having maybe 6 bowlers is a must so you don't end up with a bowler who is getting hit for 13 an over but having no alternative .... A part-time bowler will suffice here - Root, Kohli for example.

Variation has worked for me - LFM, RM, RMF, OS, SLA and LS.
      I try to avoid 2 bowlers who have the same type if that make sense.

I also look to vary where the ball in aiming for for both 20/20 and the 50 over games.
      At one end a seamer is bowling at off stump and the other seamer is aiming for middle/leg with fields placed accordingly.

Keeps the batsmen on their toes
      Last edited by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog; 07-28-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

some excellent tips there and will try those next season as i only won 2 from 14 this season in english domestic t20..i find it helps to put fielders outside the circle actually on the boundary rather than the halfway position the regular field settings use

Comment

Great input, thank you people. I think a lot of my struggles stem from having a terrible team. My guys can't get a score, and my bowlers can't get anyone out. It isn't a great combination lol

I'm trying to take a look at youngsters, and simply, they're unpredictable. It also may be that they're not going to make the grade either. I'm still getting hammered as my bowlers go for so many runs, and my bats simply can't do the same to the opponent. Think I'll go back to simming for another season, get more players in, and try for some more established players rather than such a drastic youth movement. I was just hoping to uncover 1 or 2 gems, but in reality the 30 games that is suggested in the linked thread to see if a youth player is going to make the grade or not is just resulting in me getting smashed

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
            Ball-by-ball is a must in 20 overs (and at key stages in 50 overs).

You really do need to have your own fields,

Sureshot
            So if I don't want to do either of these things, would I be best just to quick sim the T20 matches?

Comment

I've just had a T20 game that's literally killed my desire to ever play them again lol I'll post the screen shots tomorrow

Comment

I'm also playing as Derbyshire and in my third season I won 8, lost 6 in the T20 cup before losing in the quarterfinal. I think a lot of it is down to your team, I went the other way and instead of developing players signed some aggressive batsman (James Vince and Tom Westley were my openers) which made a big difference. Also made my bowlers bowl really defensively. I also use default fields and never play ball by ball.
                Last edited by 512fm; 07-29-2016, 12:44 AM.

Comment

So, here's a bit more data on my T20 struggles. This is the scorecard of one of my games against Nottinghamshire. They batted first and I lost by 110 runs, which is a pretty big difference for a game that only lasts 20 overs!

My scorecard is the first attached photo. Pretty terrible.

The CPUs scorecard is the 2nd attached photo. 76 from from 45 balls. I can only dream of that!

So I did a bit more digging into it. I'm looking at it ball by ball rather than over by over, and this was a fun passage of play during my run "chase". I say chase. It was never really a chase at all. The laws of the game said I had to bat after they'd batted, but we were never in any danger of chasing anything lol 3rd image, 5th over. 4 straight leaves. Now maybe 4 bars isn't enough aggression in T20, maybe I've got that wrong. I usually try to start out at 4, progress to 5, then to 6 after the batter is a little more settled. Not that it makes any difference. I still see no stroke played when my guy is on 6 bars of aggression.

So then I think, is there a reason for this. At least Hughes scored a few runs. Neil Broom was shocking. 4 from 24 balls?! Is it that he's just out of his depth? Is he not doing very well because, well, he's just not very good?

Photo 4 suggests, nope! I've attached his profile. Won't let me embed it into the text for some reason. Broom has a T20 100! 12 50's, average of 24, and 37 in the One Day game. Maybe.....he isn't much of a shot maker? Very defensive?

Photo 5 suggests.....nope, I've attached his profile as well. Average aggression, he's even played One Day and T20 for New Zealand.

Comment

I simmed my next game, purely to see how it would go. Like night and day. Gave Warwickshire a game and saw them off easily. Bats have a great strike rate, bowlers are suddenly economical. I get that a different team on a different day, different conditions, 2 games are never the same, but the games I play vs the games I sim are always like this. Perhaps I'm terrible at T20s, but from the tips I've read on here, start aggressive with pace, slow things down with spin and go defensive, then pace to finish. Start batters on 4 or 5 aggression and then creep it up, I seem to be doing similar things to most people. Maybe it's an iPhone thing? I've attached the scorecard for both sides as

I simmed the rest of season 3 in the end, won 3 T20s, 2 OD games and 2 FC games. I now have a 5 star FC side, and I'm thinking my OD and T20 teams will be equally rated as I've put a good squad together. Be interesting to see how De Kock scores for me, he's the #1 ranked batsman in the world. I'll keep you all posted. Even if I just play FC games and then progress to playing Test matches, I'll still enjoy this game. But boy does it have me stumped at the moment with the short format!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexB View Post

So if I don't want to do either of these things, would I be best just to quick sim the T20 matches?
                      You don't have to play Ball-by-Ball, it just works better for me (or at least, I think it does...). I'm on PC, it doesn't take me that much longer to play the matches. I'll use Play Over in certain situations too.

It also depends on your team, if you have a great team with stars, you'll need to manage them less. If you're trying to win with players who, to be blunt, aren't good enough...

Comment

I've had the same troubles in the past (and still do sometimes). There was a post on the CC 2015 forum that had a series of screenshots of a good player's field settings that really transformed my game. Personally I cant be bothered playing with field settings but that really does seem to be a key in the short format. Well that, and getting the hang of when and how to increase aggression of your batsmen. Personally I start at 5 bars and then ramp it up from there.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexB View Post

As mentioned in another thread, when bowling, I bowl outside off stump using 3 bars aggression plus the most defensive field possible. Each bowler bowls one of his four overs around the wicket, but you can probably get away without doing this.

When batting, you need to be a little more flexible. Try batting on seven bars aggression for anywhere up until eight overs have been completed, then go up to eight bars aggression. One less bar for an over for each new batsman. One less bar against a particularly successful bowler.

Comment

You are doing better than me, playing as Warwickshire I won one match in all formats all season. Used to win a fair few on last years version. I really am bad haha

Comment

Ok using the outside off stump on 3 bars and using my own fields I got to the final of the T20 World Cup with India. Holding SA to 145 but only making 108 in reply.
                              Thanks for the good advice earlier in this thread

Comment

Working...
                              X