No announcement yet.

This game is just too hard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible. I just tried sidangers suggested field settings in my first T20 of the season as Essex, and won comfortably. At one stage I had Hants at 36/7. Incredible.

Only thing is that I feel like I'm gaming it a little now, but I'm consoling myself with the idea that I've only set the field and bowling plan - if my bowlers aren't consistent enough it wont work.

GrahamB - I couldn't agree more that one shouldn't have to have a deep understanding of how to set a field in cricket in order to have a reasonable chance of winning. Not exactly accessible to the casual gamer is it?

Comment

The default fields certainly do need improving and it's something I hope we can work on in the very near future. I know there are some complexities with it, not just including balancing.

Comment

Originally posted by Raver View Post
        Thanks sidanger, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Interesting field settings though - quite aggressive and reliant on having bowlers with pretty good accuracy I would have thought (?). I wonder if they'll work as well in domestic cricket.

GrahamB - are you saying that default fields "should" result in a similar chance, or that they "do"?
        Yeah they work even better in domestic cricket, my Warwickshire team bowled Hampshire out for 17 in T20 but it is full of England internationals as I'm in 2029 now!

Comment

Originally posted by sidanger View Post
          I struggle a bit with getting fast bowlers to perform in first class/test games but custom fields can make a huge difference in OD/T20 matches.

For ODIs & T20s I always have F,MF,FM & M bowlers on 2 bars of aggression aiming outside off stump with a full length (shown below):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1736[/ATTACH]

Then I have the following field settings

F,MF (powerplay)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1737[/ATTACH]

F,MF (non powerplay)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1738[/ATTACH]

M,FM (powerplay)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1739[/ATTACH]

M,FM (non powerplay)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1740[/ATTACH]

Give these a try and see if your short format results improve.
          Originally posted by sidanger View Post
          Spin bowlers I have 2 bars aggression aiming outside off stump with a good length (shown below):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1741[/ATTACH]

The field settings as follows:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1745[/ATTACH]

Some examples of how these are working below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1742[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1743[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1744[/ATTACH]
          Excellent work mate.. Thanks a lot for this... It has worked like a charm in Tests and ODIs for me... I have many bowlers who average under 30 in Test cricket for me... I am in year 2023.. I have beaten the invincible England many times in Test series now... My team is number 1 in Test and ODIs... And number 1 in ODIs since 2017...

But one problem, these field sets don't work in T20Is like it has worked for me in ODIs and Tests... My bowlers leak a lot of runs especially spinners... These field sets are really good for Fast bowlers in Tests and ODIs but not spinners... But in T20Is, not suitable for all bowlers...

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
            The default fields certainly do need improving and it's something I hope we can work on in the very near future. I know there are some complexities with it, not just including balancing.
            I think it would be amazing if this were looked at - placing fielders who are outside the circle up against the boundary would be a great help with regards to the defensive default fields. Sweepers could be placed on the boundary for the 3rd most aggressive default field setting, but with a couple of slips still in place etc etc.

Originally posted by estmsm View Post
            Excellent work mate.. Thanks a lot for this... It has worked like a charm in Tests and ODIs for me... I have many bowlers who average under 30 in Test cricket for me... I am in year 2023.. I have beaten the invincible England many times in Test series now... My team is number 1 in Test and ODIs... And number 1 in ODIs since 2017...

But one problem, these field sets don't work in T20Is like it has worked for me in ODIs and Tests... My bowlers leak a lot of runs especially spinners... These field sets are really good for Fast bowlers in Tests and ODIs but not spinners... But in T20Is, not suitable for all bowlers...
            Sounds like you have everything well set up estmsm. I am playing with Aus and Eng at the moment in separate saved games (dip in and out of both). I am doing well in Tests with England (1st), but not as well with Aus (4th). ODIs and T20s are mixed (2nd & 4th with Eng, and 5th & 2nd with Aus). I haven't had that many bowlers averaging less than 30 in Tests, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for my dominant England side (in 2022).
            Last edited by Graham_5000; 02-11-2016, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raver View Post
              I've been reflecting some more on sidangers excellent posts. I'm definitely going to try his exact prescription, but it seems to me that what is behind it is essentially placing a high premium on bowling to a field when defending in a short-form game. Trouble is that while I love cricket, I've never paid that much attention to field settings, so it doesn't come natural to me.

What seems obvious is that bowling short will require more square and behind square fielders, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to consider.
              I’ve found that if you start out with a generic field, and then watch (either via replays, or look at his wagon wheel) to assess where the runs are being scored. I tend to leave the vast majority of fielders in their default spots, but I’ll often move 2-3 players on the off-side to try and cut off singles. I’ve noticed that having a deep cover (on the rope) is a really effective move with the quicks as the AI love to smack it hard through cover.

I should note, this is for OD or T20 only, I stick with the default field settings for the 4 or 5 day matches and find that if you bowl consistently outside off the majority of the time, you’ll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_5000 View Post
                I think it would be amazing if this were looked at - placing fielders who are outside the circle up against the boundary would be a great help with regards to the defensive default fields. Sweepers could be placed on the boundary for the 3rd most aggressive default field setting, but with a couple of slips still in place etc etc.

Sounds like you have everything well set up estmsm. I am playing with Aus and Eng at the moment in separate saved games (dip in and out of both). I am doing well in Tests with England (1st), but not as well with Aus (4th). ODIs and T20s are mixed (2nd & 4th with Eng, and 5th & 2nd with Aus). I haven't had that many bowlers averaging less than 30 in Tests, but it doesn't seem to be an issue for my dominant England side (in 2022).
                Yes, very well in Tests and ODIs but struggling in T20Is... Yet to win a T20I WC... Ha ha... Hmmm thats cool... England's regen players are terrific, the batsmen especially, they can make up for less bowlers averaging less than 30... Any tips for T20I bowling?

Comment

Working...
                X