Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leicestershire CCC - The Return To the Top (Story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leicestershire CCC - The Return To the Top (Story)

Leicestershire CCC – The return to the top

As I’m sure many of you will be aware, Leicestershire had a dismal campaign in 2014 after another season went by without them managing a win in the county championship, even their limited overs cricket which has looked so promising in recent years took a backwards step as they finished 8th in the north group of the T20 Blast and 5th in group A of the Royal London Cup 2014.

This meant that come the end of the 2014 campaign it was no surprise when some the clubs promising young players decided they wanted to move to a more successful club despite behind offered some attractive deals.

My aim for this story is to try and make Leicestershire play to their potential and to bring a high standard of cricket back to Grace Road again. I know this will be no easy task as we have lost some very talented cricketers but I believe with the right signings going forward it is possible.

For my first year in charge my goal is to be competitive in all formats with emphasis on the longer format. I believe challenging for promotion this year is an unrealistic goal but I feel with a good season we could reach mid-table. Although the shorter format isn’t a priority this year I would still like to think the knockout stages are achievable in both competitions.

It time to see if we can strengthen the squad by signing anymore players, already I have a couple of positions in mind that need filling, first up an experienced middle order batsmen to take over the role of Shiv Thakor who left us at the end of last season. I also believe that despite a large amount of bowlers in the squad we don’t have a good enough bowling attack to take 20 wickets in the match I will be looking out for more bowling options as well.

We start by making a bid for Stewart Walters - ex Glamorgan, he has a batting average of 32 and could be a useful addition to the side, we him a one year deal with the club.

Our next bid is for young leg spinner Tom Craddock, he could be a useful player for the future and we offer him a three year deal with the club.

The final bid is for Sajid Mahmood, the ex-England player would bring plenty of experience to this team and he is offered a two year deal at the club.

Unfortunately all three players were reluctant to sign for us and were tempted to other clubs instead.

Nobody else left on the market looks like a good fit for the club so the decision has been made to focus on the current squad and not sign any more players.

Comment

Let’s take a look through the squad and see who the key players are this year.

Mark Cosgrove – The captain for the 2015 season. Cozzie comes over with an impressive batting average and his form and leadership will be key to making 2015 a successful season us.

Ned Eckersley – A promising young player, one of few to stick with us this year and has been rewarded with the vice-captaincy.

Niall O’Brien – Will begin with the gloves this year, impressive batting average and will need to have a good year and show his experience, key player.

Clint McKay – One of the most important members of this team, his international experience will be vital to lead this bowling attack which on paper looks slightly fragile.

Jigar Naik – The main spinner, a decent player that can be useful with bat as well as ball, his bowling stats aren’t brilliant but this could be his year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	team 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	53435Click image for larger version

Name:	cricket captain leicestersave team 1.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	53434

Comment

Best of luck, Leics was a rough ride for me last year, so I know how difficult the task at hand will be
        Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Cambridge UCCE Vs. Leicestershire CCC

The first game of the season is a trip to Cambridge University which will be good chance to bring the players together to try and find some form, the chosen eleven is likely to be the same that will start against Glamorgan next week.
          The aim is for all the batsmen to get some time at the crease and for all bowlers to get a few overs under their belts.

Name:	2015-07-10_00005.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	53436
          There are a couple of places up for grabs in the team, the first is the all-rounder, Rob Taylor gets the gig today however with some young players coming through he will have to play will to cement his place in this side. Ben Raine’s spot is also vulnerable and it was a hard decision to leave out Wyatt, he will need some good performance to keep his spot.

We have won the toss and will bowl first in what looks to be overcast conditions on day 1.
          Day 1

Leicestershire Lead The Way On First Day

An overcast day in Cambridge played host to what looked to be the start of big things for this Leicestershire team. The day began when overseas signing Clint McKay claimed the first of Casey with a brilliant Yorker sending this middle stump flying, Rob Taylor then came to join in the fun as he removed other opening batsmen Read shortly after before some careful batting from the hosts took them through to 79-2 at lunch.

The afternoon session belonged to the bowling side though as the Leicestershire quick’s tore through the middle order with two wickets for Shreck (2-30) and Raine (2-19) and one for Taylor (2-26) leaving the hosts 145-7. Jigar Naik’s (3-45) spin then came to the party as he took the remaining three wickets to leave Cambridge 178 all out before tea.

The Leicestershire openers then spent some good time at the crease and both batsmen looked in good touch as Cosgrove (38*) and Robson (31*) saw play though until the end of day 1 with the score 73-0, 105 runs behind.

Name:	2015-07-10_00006.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	53437

Comment

Day 2
            Leicestershire Openers Make Cambridge Suffer

Leicestershire’s opening batsmen carried on where they left off on day 1 as Mark Cosgrove and Angus Robson hit superb centuries.

Cosgrove reached his fifty in the 3rd over of the morning and then began to play some extraordinary shots to up the run rate and reach his century; meanwhile at the other end, Robson had been gently playing hits shot to reach 50 off 190 balls. With an hour left until lunch both batsmen looked in control as they upped the scoring rate even more, Robson then had some luck as he was dropped on 80 after edging a good ball from Sam Taylor to 2nd Slip.
            Cosgrove then passed his 150 with 20 minutes until lunch but shortly after was out for 159 from 189 balls.
            Eckersley rode joined Robson at the crease and rode his luck to begin with playing some silly shots but settled as Robson crossed the 100 mark in the last over before lunch, 274-1.

After lunch Robson looked to carry on where he left off but could only add 14 more runs before being bowled by Barry Read for a very good 114. A slow settled period for the batsmen followed before Sam Taylor took the wickets off Ned Eckersley (38) and Andrea Agathangelou (29) in the same over. Two more wickets fell shortly after; this time Crawford claiming O’Brien (6) and Rob Taylor for a second ball duck as Leicestershire reached tea 382-6.

After tea Dan Redfurn looked to make his mark as he and Jigar Naik began to build a nice solid partnership before the latter became Sam Taylor’s 3rd wicket as he departed for 28. Ben Raine (28*) was the new man and he played brilliantly with Redfurn (68*), as both batsmen looked very comfortable at the crease and the pair saw the day to a close with the score 482-7, a lead of 304.

Name:	2015-07-10_00008.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	53438

Comment

Working...
            X