The English Revolution – A DaveK tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveK93 View Post
    I can’t help but think that New Zealand may punish us if we don’t bowl better.
    Being a Kiwi, that sounds good!

Comment

NZ will be a great challenge! Maybe save some spread fields with a couple of slips so you can stem the flow of runs, but still pick up edges to the slip cordon?

I have got Williamson out several times by bowling outside off(which he likes), but loading the off side with a 7-2 field. On two occasions in the 2015 series in my England game, he cut short deliveries hard to point - luckily both catches were held! He had a poor series and was dropped at leg slips a couple of times when I was tucking him up with a different bowler! McCullum made up for things in the series (as their top scorer), although they didn't win any of the Tests - Cook, Stokes and Lyth made sure of that!
      Last edited by Graham_5000; 07-14-2015, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamB View Post
        Being a Kiwi, that sounds good!
        Originally posted by Graham_5000 View Post
        NZ will be a great challenge! Maybe save some spread fields with a couple of slips so you can stem the flow of runs, but still pick up edges to the slip cordon?
        I'll have the first test up tomorrow, but I'll say this much - it was nowhere near the type of match I was expecting it to be.
        Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Look forward to it.

Comment

Look forward to seeing the first test result tomorrow! Interesting to see the challenge New Zealand provide, and the team starting to take shape for the Ashes.

Comment

New Zealand – 1st Test Match

We go to Lords for our first test of the home season. New Zealand are a team very much on the up I recent seasons, so this will be a difficult match. Gary Ballance is out the squad altogether, with James Taylor coming in. As usual, the spinner spot is very much up for debate. Given Borthwick’s first match in the WIndies, he comes straight back into the team, with Moeen Ali acting as 12th man.

We win the toss, and elect to bat.

We got off to a rough start, losing both Cook and Lyth with 25 on the board. A century partnership between Root and Borthwick got us back onto a stable footing. Borthwick was castled by Boult for 59, but Root carried on to make 74. Bell, Taylor and Stokes didn’t impress, but Bairstow put on a useful 62 to put us up to 312.

Given our dire bowling performances in the Caribbean, I’d be forgiven for expecting yet another one here. We reduced the Kiwis to two down early on, with Guptill and Latham being dispatched. The bowlers sensed an opportunity, and didn’t let off, as we rolled NZ for 183. The highest partnership throughout the innings was a total of 38, between Williamson and Taylor.

We had a sizeable lead at this point, and decided to attack. However, it backfired, and we were rapidly reduced to 157-7. Bairstow and Broad stopped the rot though; their partnership of 46 saved some face. Broad departed for 20, and Bairstow 45, but a late cameo of 42 from Wood and Anderson pushed us to 270.

New Zealand started much stronger this time, with Latham and Guptill put on a century stand to open. Wood got us the breakthrough though, trapping Latham dead centre. After that, it was very much another collapse. From 103-1, New Zealand then fell all out for 229. Borthwick took a bit of a battering, going for over 5 an over, but much of that was down to Guptill.

Next Time: 1-0 and all to play for. Headingly is very much a different beast though, can we hold on?

Comment

New Zealand – 2nd Test Match

We go into the test match sporting the same squad we did last time out. Bairstow stays down at 8 in the order, which looks a little ridiculous. It does highlight the talent we have at our disposal though. Buttler is still to come back, but it could end up being that they both play, with one as a batsman.

The pitch looks compliant for both turn and seam, so the seam trio of Wood, Anderson and Broad should yet again find purchase. Borthwick plays as the spinner yet again, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if Joe Root turns his arm over for a few overs if we get stuck.

Winning the toss, we once again select to bat first.

For the first session, we looked as if we had got the toss spot on. Lyth fell just before lunch with the score on 90, but we looked pretty solid. Fast forward to lunch though, and we were 8 down for 209.

New Zealand had got everything about the middle session correct, and we were struggling. Cook top scored with 67 as we would eventually be all out just after tea for a paltry 219. Stokes and Root had offered a little resistance, but for the most part we crumbled. Given we were trying to protect the series, we hadn’t gone about it in a good way.

We knew we needed to get after the Kiwis hard and fast if we were to stand any chance in this match. Latham was removed by Jimmy just before the close as we got off to a useful start.

Come the morning though, and classic Anderson was in full swing. New Zealand quickly found themselves floundering at 69-5, Anderson having taken 4. Wood had picked up the other, bowling Watling with a beautiful yorker.

Anderson and McCullum were having none of it though, and they decided to smash their way through our bowling attack. We were at a complete loss as to how to remove them, and they quickly brought themselves just short of our total. Anderson took one to the arm though from Wood, and was forced to retire. The all-rounder was in visible pain, and it must have unsettled the rest somewhat as they collapsed to 247 all out, giving them a minute lead.

We were still 2 down by the time we matched the lead though, Lyth and Borthwick both removed.Cook didn’t last much longer, and at 51-3, the reality was that we looked very likely to lose. We decided to adopt a tactic out of the New Zealand playbook though, and countered. Bell and Root took after the bowlers, Root scoring his half century with a S/R of over 100.

It took an inswinging delivery from Boult to break the 148 run partnership, trapping Bell in front of middle and leg. It was a marginal call, but marginal enough. Taylor came in and played a typical innings, scoring 35 from 31 before a mix up in calls saw him run-out.

There was no stopping Root though, and he soon reached his first century of 2015. He eventually was last man out for 137 from 197, but he’d done his job well. 338 was an imposing total on this pitch, and it gave us enough of a lead to attack.

Attack we did. Guptill couldn’t get started, and fell for a slow 6. Anderson tricked Latham into edging behind, and suddenly we smelled victory. Stokes trapped Williamson in front, before Watling and McCullum were swiftly dispatched. Ross Taylor stood firm for a while with the tail, but it was a fruitless effort, and we wrapped up a decent victory.

Worth remembering though, Anderson was injured. He could have made the difference, so we certainly can’t treat this game as one we deserved to win.

Next Time: Edgbaston calls as we look to banish our World Cup demons. Can it be done, or will the WC runners up get revenge for the tests?

Comment

England

New Zealand

Comment

Disappointing effort from the Kiwis.

Comment

Disappointing effort from the Kiwis.
                      I suspect they would have had a better showing had Anderson not been injured. Nothing I threw at them worked to remove the McCullum/Anderson partnership, and they could have both pushed well on. I also got lucky that Root countered superbly, that could have backfired. The second test was definitely more luck than judgement.

Comment

England ODI Squad

We take the opportunity to rest a few players up with the Ashes soon to happen. We also look to continue the trend of selecting more aggressive natured players to suit the ever changing face of the short format cricket.

Jason Roy is added to the openers department, and it will be two of Roy, Vince and Hales that will line up in Birmingham. Captain Morgan leads the squad, with Root and Taylor expected to fill in alongside him. All 3 upcoming keeper talents in England are selected, and one of the "Treble-B's" will go in at least. Bairstow and Buttler have both got cricket at this level under their belt, but Billings has a raw aggressive talent that could come in handy.

In the bowling department, we have a selection of all-rounders. Willey impressed at Malahide, whilst Stokes and Borthwick have both been solid during the test series. Finn will be looking to banish his World Cup demons, whilst Matt Coles will be looking to make good on his chance. His move back to Kent has so far proved successful, and he will be looking to stay in the team once the experienced internationals return, should that happen. Adil Rashid takes the second spinner spot over Moeen.

Comment

Well done against the Kiwis. Look forward to the ODIs

Comment

New Zealand – First ODI

The unlucky four to miss out are Billings, Roy, Bairstow and Borthwick. Vince stays in after his 77 against Ireland, with Hales up top with him. Root and Morgan hold the middle order, with Rashid, Stokes, Buttler and Willey all expected to provide fireworks. Matt Coles stays in, and could well provide runs if he needs to.

We lose the toss, but are given the opportunity to bat first.

We started off cautiously, with Hales the more aggressive of the two batsmen. Vince was more content to nurdle the singles, but with 10 gone, a run rate of 4.4 was too slow. The two openers started to ramp up the scoring, and both reached their half centuries by the 20 over mark.

The scoring did slow slightly at this point, with Santner and Elliot doing an effective job of keeping things tight. It didn’t stop Vince reaching his first ODI century though, an impressive feat for only his second ODI match. Hales followed shortly after, reaching his first, and the pair also broke the record opening partnership for England in an ODI. They increased it to 222, only ending when Hales fell early in the powerplay.

This brought in James Taylor, who much like the other two, attacked. A quickfire partnership of 68 meant we didn’t rest on our laurels, and kept the Kiwis under the pump. Vince finally departed for 144, whilst Taylor would hit 71 from 46. Both were bowled by Grant Elliott. The rest of the order didn’t contribute too much, but the damage was well and truly done.

ENG:
                            10 overs: 44-0
                            20 overs: 113-0
                            30 overs: 178-0
                            40 overs: 253-1
                            50 overs: 334-5

New Zealand were under pressure to attack early, but Willey struck early, removing McCullum and Latham early on. Williamson and Taylor tried to steady the ship, but both fell one after the other, Stokes and Coles sharing a wicket each.
                            Danger man Guptill was bowled by Finn for only 19, as we pressed on. Ronchi took a shine to Rashid’s bowling, and clouted him around, but Willey and Coles did a successful job of removing Elliott and Santner to keep a partnership from forming. Stokes came back triumphantly to dismiss Ronchi, before getting Southee in the same over. Coles mopped up, with Boult edging to Buttler to wrap up a convincing win.

NZ:
                            10 overs:
                            52-2
                            20 overs: 114-4
                            30 overs: 201-6
                            40 overs: N/A
                            50 overs: N/A

Next Time: The Oval welcomes us for the first time this summer, can we continue to please the home faithful?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveK93 View Post
                              I suspect they would have had a better showing had Anderson not been injured. Nothing I threw at them worked to remove the McCullum/Anderson partnership, and they could have both pushed well on. I also got lucky that Root countered superbly, that could have backfired. The second test was definitely more luck than judgement.
                              You deserved your victory. I was just being patriotic.

Comment

You deserved your victory. I was just being patriotic.
                                Haha, maybe. It was definitely a tighter test match than the first, there were times I felt as if I was on the back foot. Personally, I'm not keen on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X