Poor Bowling In First Class Cricket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Bowling In First Class Cricket.

I need tips for how to restrict teams as well as take wickets within first class games. My Bowling averages are sky high, I'm using Warwickshire who have a pretty decent Bowling attack,the the likes of Boyd Rankin and Chris Woakes however I am unable to maintain a good standard of performance.

The shorter formats are fine and I consistently perform well however in first class Cricket I may set a good total of 400+ only for the other team to achieve and better this score with losing only maybe 3 wickets. This tends to lead to many draws and not being able to challenge the top end of the table.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for this format they wud be much appreciated.

Originally posted by Tipsysmokey View Post
    I need tips for how to restrict teams as well as take wickets within first class games. My Bowling averages are sky high, I'm using Warwickshire who have a pretty decent Bowling attack,the the likes of Boyd Rankin and Chris Woakes however I am unable to maintain a good standard of performance.

The shorter formats are fine and I consistently perform well however in first class Cricket I may set a good total of 400+ only for the other team to achieve and better this score with losing only maybe 3 wickets. This tends to lead to many draws and not being able to challenge the top end of the table.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for this format they wud be much appreciated.
    At one end, I try and bowl line and length, but I place a couple of fielders to try and negate a batsman's preferences e.g. if they have a strong front foot and off-side preference, I might have a short cover, deep cover sweeper and a long off.

At the other end, I like to bowl against a batsman's preferences when they are strong preferences, so I might bowl short and on leg stump to a front foot, off-side loving batsman.

Sometimes I bowl to the batsman's preferences but overload the fielders for catches in these areas. Often they nick to slip when receiving pitched up, outside off deliveries if they are a player who like those sort of deliveries. I find that a batsman with a strong off-side preference can be given what he wants, but with a 7-2 field, including catchers in the slips, gully and short cover.

If a pace loving batsman is in and doing well, try bringing on a spinner with a balanced field (sweepers, catchers, and fielders saving one).

It doesn't always work, but I find I do reasonably well.

One final tip - don't keep hitting space - before long you have knackered bowlers and the opposition are 100 for 0!!
    Last edited by Graham_5000; 06-30-2015, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips I'll put it into practice, barkers in good form for me at the mo jst shame for everyone else.

Comment

Working...
      X