Need some help of the general kind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help of the general kind

Hello to everyone..Bought this game yesterday.It is my first try to understand Cricket so any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
    Though i am not stranger to SportsSims -mainly OOTP(Baseball) and in the past FM-, i have to admitt that i don't know anything about Cricket.

So here are my first questions:
    Starting with an English Club and i would like to know what are the main statistics for to choose batters & bowlers..I don't know any good players or any players at all to be exact so i have to rely on numbers. As i suspect there must be a combination (Bat Avg.& Innings played?). Also i would like to know what is typical considered to be a good number for Bat Avg. and Bowl Avg.

Abbreviations: Got most of them but still i don't understand what CpM,5i and Ct/St stands for.

As a general strategy i prefer to stay away from veterans and try to built around promising prospects..Can this be succesfull in ICC or do i need to built around experienced players?

Also any information on where to start would be useful..Would you recommend a club to start with? Or even a league..Is it easier for me to start an Australian or Indian career as a first try or i chose well with the English Clubs?

Thanks in advance for your time..

Originally posted by BabyLemonade View Post
    Hello to everyone..Bought this game yesterday.It is my first try to understand Cricket so any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
    Though i am not stranger to SportsSims -mainly OOTP(Baseball) and in the past FM-, i have to admitt that i don't know anything about Cricket.

So here are my first questions:
    Starting with an English Club and i would like to know what are the main statistics for to choose batters & bowlers..I don't know any good players or any players at all to be exact so i have to rely on numbers. As i suspect there must be a combination (Bat Avg.& Innings played?). Also i would like to know what is typical considered to be a good number for Bat Avg. and Bowl Avg.

Abbreviations: Got most of them but still i don't understand what CpM,5i and Ct/St stands for.

As a general strategy i prefer to stay away from veterans and try to built around promising prospects..Can this be succesfull in ICC or do i need to built around experienced players?

Also any information on where to start would be useful..Would you recommend a club to start with? Or even a league..Is it easier for me to start an Australian or Indian career as a first try or i chose well with the English Clubs?

Thanks in advance for your time..
    Hey there! Yep, cricket is one of the complicated ones if you don't know much about the game - I'll try and clear up as much as I can!

Main stats - In the long form of the game (4/5 day matches), batting and bowling averages are the most important stat, although if these are from over a very small number of innings, they may not be a good reflection of the player's ability and could be down more to luck. For these matches, I would consider a bowling average under 30 to be an indicator of a pretty good bowler, and a batting average in the high 30s to be a mark of a decent batsman.

This changes in the shorter formats a little - not only are batting and bowling averages deflated slightly for 50 overs, and quite a lot so for 20 overs (due to there being less time to bat), but strike rates (for batsmen) and economy and strike rates (for bowlers) become important. The batsman's strike rate (along, in game, with his aggressiveness level) indicates a batsman who is quicker at making runs, and therefore more use in a shorter game, whereas the bowler's economy/strike rates show the trade off that that bowler gives between accuracy and keeping runs down, and taking wickets, both of which are useful to restrict the opposition.

CpM = Catches per match, 5i = number of 5 wicket innings (when a bowler takes 5 wickets in one innings) and Ct/St = Catches/Stumpings, how many of these a player has taken in the period of time specified.

Prospects are always my favourite way to go in ICC too, and I would say that the English career is the best place for this as it allows you to pick your players and not have to focus on signing a few superstars. I would recommend getting two or three good solid cricketers of 27/28 into your team in the first couple of years as well though, meaning you can develop players alongside being competitive in the meantime.

Also, as a note, the English careers get easier as you move past the first year, when you are able to pick your own squad and not depend on the real-life ones!

Good luck! If you still have questions, feel free to mention them!

Comment

Thanks a lot for your time..
      I'm getting into it slowly and my first impression of the gameplay is very positive..

Feeling a little lost with the training screen but i'll find my ways. I would love to learn some basic strategies for Cricket so any site/book reference would help me as well.
      I think i made a good choice with Somerset County Club..We seem to have a quite solid team. Managed to draw the first official game of the season and win by an innings & 96 runs Durham. A promising start.

Thank you once again for your kind reply! I'm sure i'll return with some (probably stupid) questions.

Comment

The first few replies on the following thread may help you in terms of strategy, but the language used is a bit complicated:

The advice is also a bit excess...

Comment

Thank you..That was helpful indeed.

Comment

Working...
          X