T20 run rate plummets after a good start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T20 run rate plummets after a good start

I recently purchased ICC 14 on iPad and one of the more frustrating issues I'm having is by batsmen's complete inability to capitalise on a good start in T20 games.

I know it's hardly a real life phenomenon that bowlers can pull back an innings after the openers get off to a flyer, but my issue is slightly different. Basically I have two batsmen in, maybe my openers but not always if I lose an early wicket or two, going along nicely at a run rate of 9-10, scoring plenty of boundaries.

Then suddenly, often around the 7-10 over mark, they'll go from fluent, free flowing batting to being seemingly incapable of hitting the ball off the square - playing and missing 2-3 times an over and playing defensive shots instead of going for boundaries. This normally happens for 3-4 overs, even though I'm batting on 7-8 bars before eventually they get out. I'm then unable to stop the rot and am left with a procession of batsmen scoring say 7 runs off 10 balls before duly getting out. If I put them on 6 bars or less they'll hang around for a bit longer but score at an equally slow run rate. The end product is that I might scrape 160 when I was looking good for 200 at the halfway point.

It's so annoying, cause they'll go from scoring at a SR of 160+ and hitting the ball all round the park to tentatively prodding at everything, playing and missing and playing out dot balls. If a batsmen who's scoring quickly goes for a big heave and gets out, fine. But generally if a player stays in and is batting well they'll actually accelerate as the innings progresses, not suddenly grind to a halt for no reason!

Can anyone help me with this? At times it almost seems like that there's a predetermined ballpark figure that the computer thinks your team should score against the opposition bowling attack, and if you're going to quickly the match engine slams on an emergency break to slow you down!

Sorry to hear you've had a few frustrating innings - it is what makes winning all the more fun!

I've never really found sustaining a high run rate a major problem. Of course once the field restrictions are lifted it can be harder to score, but I have racked up a number of 200+ scores, including a 218 with England.

I very much doubt that there is any kind of predetermination going on, but perhaps others have views?

Comment

Working...
    X