Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20-20 Matches

Hi all,

New Poster, but have been playing ICC since the original (I'm that old!)

On the whole I enjoy the franchise, but have always struggled with the dynamics of 20-20.

Batting

I've always disliked the way the aggression works when relating to One-Day, but in particular 20-20.
    I find that there is no aggression factor which will be suitable for singles, anything other than 8 (max) aggression is sometimes meaningless.

I wish you could instruct batsmen for different types of batting when required. I played 2 games recently. Game 1) Batting first, for experiment I tried all batsmen on 7 aggression the whole innings - after 6 overs I was 9/2. 12 overs 51/3. Final total 103/5. Now as Leics, I expect poorer scoring (and pitches etc can make a difference) but the frustration lied in the 62 dot balls, and complete non-attempt to score runs.

Another game, again batting first (similar conditions) and scored 62/2 after 6 overs (again all 7 aggression) but only 5 dot balls.

9/2 vs Lancs, 62/2 vs Warks. If I was to assume the game considered Lancs bowlers to be better, then what should have been the approach? Always start as 8 aggression? I find the batting aspect almost entirely random.

Also related - New batsmen (Assume a decent enough batsman) - say 4 balls of the over to go (obviously this is very situational) - 7/8 aggression and there is roughly a 50% chance they will be out by the end of the over, but anything else (i.e 4/5/6) and it's likely to be 3-4 dots. Again should 8 be used to hope they get off strike (I find the batsmen strike doesn't help here particularly)

Bowling/Fielding (Briefer)

In many ways the reverse of the above - stopping singles - I find it irritating even with close fielders to stop singles the computer will still take a single, and most overs 4-5 singles will be conceded where really only 2-3 were runs. But I can't figure out what aggression the computer is using to get these singles.

Any suggestions would be helpful - I'm generally fine with the fundamentals of the CC, and One-Day but have always horribly under-performed in 20-20 with almost every game being generally down to who is perceived to being best rather than any real sense of strategy.

Thanks.

In 20/20, I've had more success by starting both batsmen on 7 bars and keeping them there until the last four or so overs. If you lose too many wickets, go down to 6 bars for a couple of overs.
    Then if enough wickets remain after 16 overs, I put them on 8 bars.

Bowl at standard length outside off-stump to the most defensive default field possible using three bars aggression.

Comment

Like Graham said - seam bowlers outside off stump.
      Try not to bowl spin directly on to batsmas preferences - so adjust the spot your aiming for.
      Set up your own field placings - improves it quite a bit I found.
      Have about 6 bowlers you can pick from - including all rounders and part time bowlers (Root etc) so if one is getting hit for 12+ an over you have a 6th bowler to fall back on.
      Mixing seam and spin - I always open bowling with one of each.
      Only pick one or two out and out bowlers so you have batting capability down to number 9 if possible .... If you lose some quick wickets then it'll be manageable.

I have rarely found that going to 8 bars for the full 20 overs works - normally all out before the last few overs have been bowled so 7 bars until the batsmen gets to say 40% settled then up to 8 bars.
      Last 5-8 overs at 8 bars as Graham said depending on workers in hand etc.
      If you're chasing then I adjust according to the RRR - if less than 8 runs then 7 bars but as soon as 8 an over is required go to 8 bars. If the rate goes below 6.5 for example and you don't need to knock the runs off by a certain over for a league etc then you can even afford to lower you aggression.

It's definately a learning curve .... For everyone

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I have noted in the past few games that pace has worked generally a little better. The average score conceded as Leics is 158 (lowest 109/9, highest 231/2) and as Warks it's 135 (lowest 96ao, highest 179/6). Based both over 8 matches.

I think the conclusion that team ability massively overrides tactics in 20-20 with regards to batting (to lesser a degree bowling although weaker bowlers gift more 4/6 shots - but fielding settings can neutralise this to a degree)

With Warks - Often whether chasing or setting a score, I can bat at 7 most the innings, and I'll score 5-8 an over and I step this up around over 15 depending on settled/wickets remaining. Averaging 157 (rounding up when chasing) Out of 8 games I won 6 lost 2.

With Leics - Erratic at best. After 6 overs at 7 aggression, I scored as low at 11/2 and as high as 51/1 (with a 31/8 in too ^^). However often I'd be 3-4 wickets down, for about 25. I played a few with 5 aggression early doors after these 8 with less wickets but only averaging 2-4 an over. I averaged 105, Winning 1 tying 1 losing 6.

Ah well - I'm probably used to the days where you could win 50%+ with just about any team. New learning curve.

Comment

I've found that getting the right batting order is a huge aspect too, get your best players in early. Both batting and bowling.

I also use ball-by-ball a lot in the latter end of the innings (both OD and T20), something I picked up from DVDDD a while ago, it gives you more time to adjust your tactics to the match situation.

Comment

Working...
          X