Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Match engine, stats and chasing in the ODI format.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match engine, stats and chasing in the ODI format.

Hi folks,
    First post here. Hoping there could be some advice. My fave timewaster is a relatively quick 5 match ODI tournament, usually Australia v India, is it is most challenging. Love the game, and love the new interface for the 2014 edition.
    My frustration lies with say, the final five overs of a run chase (when I'm batting second). You can have a Dave Warner, for example, running along at over a run a ball, and with five to get in the last over, can just block four of the balls and you lose by two runs. Or a Jason Faulkner, with a strike rate of 112 within the game in the ODI format, scoring 3 from 20 even with almost max power. Even talented batters in the tail just can't score at a realistic and frequent rate.

I'm not expecting it to resemble IRL, it's just very frustrating to time your run chase to a realistic target in the last 20 balls, and frequently fall short due to a sometimes really weird match engine. A maiden over in the 49th over is pretty frustrating with close to fullpower on two established batsmen. There just doesn't seem to be any more urgency in the last few overs than their is in the first. Does that make sense?

Any tips from other players on how they approach an ODI chase?
    Last edited by mattt; 12-21-2014, 04:20 AM.

http://postimg.org/image/xr2giei8p/

Just attaching a screenshot to give an example.

8 runs scored from the last five overs, in near perfect batting conditions. Glenn Maxwell blocks out the last over for a maiden!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mattt; 12-21-2014, 01:25 PM.

Comment

This is what I wrote on another thread:

"I start of openers at 4 bars for few overs before moving them onto 5 until the power plays are introduced. Usually 6 bars for the PPs and 7 from maybe 42 over onwards and full aggression for the last 3 overs. You can adjust the aggression depending on the run rate and how settled the batsmen are. One thing I tend to do is identify the weak bowlers in the opposition. You can do this by checking their current season stats (as well as career stats). If they are poor; the bowler is either out of form, or not that good. So once you've done this, attack that bowler(s) (say one more aggression bar than the other bowlers). Opposingly, if you come across an absolutely brilliant bowler, you may think about playing at a lower aggression against that bowler. Just be proactive. And rather than skipping the whole over (by pressing 'play over'), click the 'next ball' option each time, which is right beside 'play over'. The highlight options can be whatever you prefer, but by clicking 'next ball' every time, you're able to react to what's happening much more effectively."

But to specifically answer your question about chasing a target in the last 5 overs, ry putting on medium match highlights and click 'next ball' each time for the last 5-10 overs. And as a rule of thumb in these last overs, use maximum aggression.

Comment

Working...
      X