RIP Phillip Hughes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Phillip Hughes

I know this isn't necessarily game related but I thought I would publicly pass on my condolences to Phillip Hughes' family and friends as well as the Australian Cricket Team.

Also best wishes go to Sean Abbott, I couldn't imagine what you are going through! It was 100% defiantly not your fault and a freak accident.
    As an Australian, I speak for everyone when I say the whole Nation is behind you supporting you.

Cam
    ===========

~I Love Lamp~

RIP Phil.

No doubt was still capable of becoming a regular in the test side.

Following cricket for 4 decades, never seen an incident like this take a life.

Rocks Cricket to the core.

Comment

RIP Phil Hughes.

Comment

Terribly sad news
        RIP

Comment

RIP Philip Hughes

As a close follower of cricket, I've followed a large part of Hughes' career as a cricketer. For most cricket fans, this death is essentially of someone we've gotten to know and respect. This, along with dying at such a young age and not having come close to reaching the prime of his career, makes it doubly heartbreaking.

Comment

Such sad news. As most of you know we were big fans of Phil and were proud to have him on the cover of the 2009 game in Australia. Such great potential and you had the feeling he was about to make a big impact. He will be missed.

Comment

It was indeed shocking.... RIP Phil Hughes......He was a regular in my 2013 cricket captain MI side...... it would be a strange feeling whenever i will play my 2013 game.... U really were a star Phil..... Cricket will never be the same for us without u..... It's so sad for the cricketing world to loose such a promising player at such a young age.... I really pray to god to provide strength to his friends and family to cope up with his loss...

And best wishes for Sean Abbott too... It was not ur fault buddy...

Comment

Not criticism at all, but it's just funny to see how Pakistan are bowling regular bouncers to New Zealand, in spite of recent events! Goes to show how intrinsic bouncers are to cricket. Even hints about banning the bouncer is ludicrous.

Comment

I've never liked the cricket ball. It's too hard. All it takes is a bad bounce and people can get injured anytime. Batsmans wear helmet bowlers wear nothing and when batsman hits it hard ball can hit on bowlers head. Last year a Zimbabwean bowler lost 4 teeth.

I wish they replace this hard ball and get a softer ball where batsmans won't have to wear helmet anymore. Tennis players don't wear helmet. Much safer than cricket. No one wants to get hit by a brick. Helmets can never be safe. Specially when barsmans are taking runs and fielders balls out batsmans neck.

I was hit by a ball. It was a freekick when ball hit me on the right side of my head. Luckily it was a foorball not a cricket ball.

We love cricket and we want to see bouncers but with a safer ball. Like tennis.

Comment

Originally posted by str View Post
                    I've never liked the cricket ball. It's too hard. All it takes is a bad bounce and people can get injured anytime. Batsmans wear helmet bowlers wear nothing and when batsman hits it hard ball can hit on bowlers head. Last year a Zimbabwean bowler lost 4 teeth.

I wish they replace this hard ball and get a softer ball where batsmans won't have to wear helmet anymore. Tennis players don't wear helmet. Much safer than cricket. No one wants to get hit by a brick. Helmets can never be safe. Specially when barsmans are taking runs and fielders balls out batsmans neck.

I was hit by a ball. It was a freekick when ball hit me on the right side of my head. Luckily it was a foorball not a cricket ball.

We love cricket and we want to see bouncers but with a safer ball. Like tennis.

Please tell me you are joking... All respect to Hughes of course here who I loved to watch play (even though he didn't like performing the couple of times I saw him live ) but this is an extremely rare event. The amount of times this has happened goes to show how rare it is and I don't think we should change the fundamentals of cricket because of it.

Comment

It's not rare Pakistan opener Ahmed Shehzad was hit by similar ball earlier of this month. Umpire of Israel cricket died. Raman Lamba of india died. Last year a Pakistani Cricketer died.

No need to ban bouncers. A softer ball and bigger boundary will do.

Comment

I'm sorry but there are 5 reported cases that resulted in death in the last 50 years. Unfortunately I think it's just a ridiculous suggestion.
                        Last edited by Hampshire; 11-30-2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

RIP Phillip you will be sorely missed by Australia and the cricketing world abroad.

In regards to "banning the bouncer" or "softening the ball up" or "upgrading the helmets to that of a medieval knight" that is completely unnecessary. This was nothing more than a one in a million freak accident. I can't speak out of certainty but I am sure even those who've lost their lives to this game we love would agree that nothing should change.

How about spectators? If we start to encourage that the game ball itself is dangerous we will lose stadium numbers because people will be too scared of being hit by the ball. More sixes being slapped than ever these days and I myself would be honoured to have Clarkey hit the winning 6 runs in the WC final and have it smack me right in the face.

You can pad up a NFL players all you want, necks will still break. You can contain the force at which a rugby player can tackle another, necks will still break. Cricket may not be a contact sport (no person to person contact) but in terms of raw contact between human and object it is above any other professional sport.

To summarise, fear of the ball hitting you is something we've all had to grow with. A terribly unfortunate accident and when the players and officials have recovered from this incident I have little doubt they will stand for the rules to not be touched.

Comment

Originally posted by str View Post
                            It's not rare Pakistan opener Ahmed Shehzad was hit by similar ball earlier of this month. Umpire of Israel cricket died. Raman Lamba of india died. Last year a Pakistani Cricketer died.

No need to ban bouncers. A softer ball and bigger boundary will do.
                            An incomprehensible number of cricket games go on every day. I don't think plucking out a few incidents justifies you calling it not rare. And also, 'Hamshire was referring to the rarity of deaths in cricket matches, which are almost non-existent (in terms of a cricket ball causing a death).

Comment

Hi Chris,

Please provide the Update to reschedule the match of 5th Dec Ind vs Aus due Philip Huge death , also the should be a message of this horrible incident.
                              After Historical Retired Players Stats ,Captains Record
                              Is my Next Dream

Comment

Working...
                              X