Charles March selected in the Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles March selected in the Ashes

Just played the 2015 Ashes series as Australia. I won the series 3-1 with 1 draw.

Cook, dropped after the 1st Test, was replaced by some database player called Charles March.

Poor old fella, after only 12 FC matches, at an average a tad below 40, had to face up to Johnson and Co.

He averaged 6.87 over 8 innings. He wasn't dropped, remarkably. He was a loose cannon, and along with Robson, I knew I had England 2-down for next to nothing almost every time.

I know it's a database, and players that are picked are somewhat random. But can you imagine the ECB choosing a 23 year old with not even a full season of County experience under his belt, to replace Cook and play 4 Tests in a row with an average of less than 7? It is less than 6 months into the game (mid-2015) and already the England squad bears no resemblance to their current (real-life) squad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	53845

I found it quite funny, to be honest
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Glammy; 11-26-2014, 01:50 AM.

I mentioned this on another thread. Two things that are wrong here. Firstly the AI picks players on their inbuilt rating which we obviously can't see. So that results in selections like this. Secondly, if this rating is superior to some other players, there's a big reluctance to drop that player despite failing a lot of times. Other players who have lesser 'ratings' get dropped easily and often without regard for how they are doing/did in the matches they were selected for. The balance just isn't right between selecting based on ones ability (or whatever you want to describe someone's rating as) and performance.

Comment

It's a game and it can't be perfect.

Comment

Happens in real life though - how many time had Ashton Agar played for his state before his test debut

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog View Post
          Happens in real life though - how many time had Ashton Agar played for his state before his test debut
          Dananjaya for the SL T20 team as well, was an unknown entity.
          Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

though Agar soon got dropped from the Australian Team - he didnt complete the series and hasnt been picked since at this point. Unlike the game where the players dont get dropped even tho they have poor performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog View Post
              Varies by Country. Sri Lanka do this kind of thing a lot- but would never happen in England. Even someone like Cook who was an absolute prodigy played for 2.5 years on the County circuit before getting a test call, and that was as a last minute replacement.

Comment

Great replies, guys.

Particularly in regards to the ratings system that we don't get to see. Oh well, it was just a thought I thought I'd share with you guys.

I can't see this happening in real life (outside perhaps the sub continent), but even there I can't see it happening. Not for a 5-Test series at home.

Dick, I suppose we'll be seeing Dominic Sibley open the batting for England at the Ashes in 2015? The Surrey kid who has played 9 first Class matches at an average of 40, must be worth at least 4 Tests, surely?

Comment

Working...
                X