T20 Tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T20 Tactics

Right I need some help when it comes to T20 matches. I do quite well in the Championship and ok in 50 over games, but no matter which county I pick, I struggle to win more than one or 2 T20 games per season.

Obviously you need aggressive batsmen but what do you do with your bowlers and do you use custom field settings? Not much point in me trying the IPL or Big Bash with my current record!

What tactics do you currently use?
    Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Originally posted by KentLad View Post
      Right I need some help when it comes to T20 matches. I do quite well in the Championship and ok in 50 over games, but no matter which county I pick, I struggle to win more than one or 2 T20 games per season.

Obviously you need aggressive batsmen but what do you do with your bowlers and do you use custom field settings? Not much point in me trying the IPL or Big Bash with my current record!
      Batting - 7 bars building up to 8 bars when settled (maybe 50%)
      Al out slog (8 bars) for final 6-8 overs .. wickets permitting

Bowling - I pick 3 seamers and 3 spinners .. the variation works for me on the whole.

My seamers always bowl outside of off stump so my field is set with focus on the offside.

My spinners never bowl at a batsman's strength area.

I try to give all of them 2 overs each then just go back to the most economical ones for the final 8 overs.

Custom fields all the way!!!

You could try the IPL as the quality will be better than the county version .. that way you will get a better idea of what works for you then you can try the same tactics for County 20/20

Comment

Ok so when batting I will put all batsmen on 7 bars initially and move them up to the full 8 when they get to about 20. This normally results in me ending up 30-5 at the end of the powerplay! Occasionally one of the openers might do ok but I struggle to post more than about 140.

Bowling-wise, I avoid bowling at the batsmen's strength - i.e. if they prefer the back foot and leg-side shots, I will bowl full and outside off. I haven't really had any joy designing my own custom field settings though...

Comment

Originally posted by KentLad View Post
          Ok so when batting I will put all batsmen on 7 bars initially and move them up to the full 8 when they get to about 20. This normally results in me ending up 30-5 at the end of the powerplay! Occasionally one of the openers might do ok but I struggle to post more than about 140.

Bowling-wise, I avoid bowling at the batsmen's strength - i.e. if they prefer the back foot and leg-side shots, I will bowl full and outside off. I haven't really had any joy designing my own custom field settings though...
          I wouldn't bother with any defensive batsmen for 20/20 .. they'll push singles etc but you want guys who can potentially score at a run a ball.
          Maybe go for 6 bars if you are losing wickets cheaply.

In terms of the fielding I've never bothered with slips but I like to have 4 guys in the circle but halfway between the circle edge and the wicket - midwicket, square leg, cover and point .. all hopefully saving singles.

Once the opposition batsman "gets in" you might want to check where they are scoring then adjusting your field accordingly.
          So if your mid on is too wide and has has had four boundaries go past his right then move him across into the place where the runs are being scores.

I check the field to see where runs are being scored for each new over for 20/20 (and 40 or 50 overs too)

Comment

Thanks for the tips. My batting is improving by starting on 6 bars so scores of 150 or so are now possible. Bowling still a struggle but at least I win occasionally now!

Comment

If you've got a bowler who has taken a couple of wickets in his first 2 or 3 overs then consider bowling them out, a team that is 5 down compared to 4 down is going to struggle more when chasing or setting a total. I'm always looking for wickets rather than containing.

Comment

Even deciding on the team will be a risk of sorts

Do you go with five out and out bowlers (including all rounders) and cross you fingers
                .. or to improve batting have someone like Root or Cameron White who are bit and pieces all rounders but who can chip in with a few overs too.

I always go with five batsmen including the keeper with six bowlers in case one gets smashed out of the attack!!

Comment

Working...
                X