Glory at Grace Road - A Leicestershire Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T20: Northamptonshire (H)

Our last two T20 games have been ridiculous, here’s hoping for 3 in a row. We do have to make changes from the Durham match though. Carberry and Sheen are both in, as Rashid and Kumara are unavailable. Moin Ashraf makes his T20 return as well, he replaces Carl Malkin.

We win the toss, and will be batting first.

Utterly dreadful. Only 4 batsmen reached double figures, as we yielded far too easily. A lack of cutting edge with the bowling didn’t help, and we were deservedly beaten.

Powerplay:
    Leics: 44-0
    Northants: 33-0

10 Overs:
    Leics: 69-2
    Northants: 63-1

15 overs:
    Leics: 102-5
    Northants: 91-2

Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

• T20: Yorkshire (A)

After that abject display, we face Yorks in a bid to rectify it. We don’t change the team, and are told to bat.

That’s more like it! An imperious display by Stack led the charge for the Foxes, as he hit 94. Horton and Carberry hit quick runs, and Kieswetter clocked up another 50, as we went over the 200 mark in a magnificent display.

Yorkshire never really stood a chance, and the 111 run margin says a lot. Freck and Topley destroyed the batting, and secured us a vital 2 points.

Powerplay:
      Leics: 60-1
      Yorks: 57-5

10 Overs:
      Leics: 98-1
      Yorks: 78-6

15 overs:
      Leics: 152-2
      Yorks: N/A

Comment

• T20: Derbyshire (A)

To complete our trio of T20 games, we have a trip to Derbyshire. That’ll be fun! We keep an unchanged team yet again, after that stunning display. In the sunshine, we’ll be batting first, our choice this time.

Yet another powerful display of hitting saw us go even better than we did against Yorks. Stack sealed his first T20 century in the final over in a majestic display which also saw Carberry hit 74. Horton was slow off the start, but some quick runs from Kies helped us at the end.

Derbys also enjoyed the lifeless pitch, and only finished 24 short. Hughes hit 89 to make up for his dreadful bowling display, but getting Smith pegged Derbys back enough. Borrington smashed some late runs, but by that point it was far too late.

Powerplay:
        Leics: 56-1
        Derbys: 56-0

10 Overs:
        Leics: 94-1
        Derbys: 98-0

15 overs:
        Leics: 148-2
        Derbys: 132-2

Batting Award:
        David Stack – Pretty self explanatory.

Bowling Award:
        Samit Patel – Bowling Graeme Smith turned the game around for us.

Comment

• CCD1: Warwickshire (A)

We’re off to Edgbaston now after those stunning batting displays for a FC match. Warwicks are second in the table, so this will be difficult. We make two changes for this one, Carberry and Groenewald in for Thakor and Malkin. Cobb plays his 100th FC match.

We win the toss, and we will be batting first.

In one of our best batting performances of the season so far, we piled on the runs. A partnership of 271 runs between Horton and Stack saw us into a commanding position. Once the two centurions had departed, we tried to accelerate the scoring, so we did lose a few wickets. However, Josh Cobb stepped up to the plate in his 100th FC game, and nearly got a century. He fell short on 89 from 92 in a brutal display of hitting, that gave us a big total, and plenty of time to work with.

Unfortunately, the track was as good for Warwicks as it was for us. Rob Newton has been in superb form all season, having clocked up over 1000 runs before this match. His double century in this one doesn’t come as much of a surprise, mainly disappointment that he took the match away from us. Once he and Bell were gone, the rest was easy, but by then the game was headed for a draw.

We piled on 276 in 46 overs in a bid to try and make a game of it, Hannon and Horton being the most destructive of the batsmen. Unfortunately, Cobb picked up a 3 week injury during the innings; not quite the 100th game he would have liked.

We got a couple of wickets, but we didn’t expect much. A good draw nonetheless, we picked up some very valuable points.

Batting Award:
          Paul Horton/David Stack – A wonderful display of batting from two players in different stages of their careers

Bowling Award:
          No-one – Not their fault this time, they were hard pushed to get anything on this track.

Comment

• We have two new arrivals in the dressing room now, as our youth players are here.

Jim Anthony is a 19 year old opener, who looks incredibly promising. In 21 2nd XI matches, he’s already chalked up 1000 runs, and averages 48.50. With a pretty handy 56.8% strike rate as well, he looks good to remain with the team in future.

We also welcome Martin Birch into the fold, a 20 year old wicketkeeper. He averages just shy of 30 for the second team, and whilst he probably won’t ever make it as a global superstar, he may make it as a squad player.

At this point, we’ll also examine who is out of contract later this season. As it stands the following leave at the end of the year:

- G Smith
            - S Thakor
            - A Hannon
            - J Sheen
            - D Stack
            - O Freckingham
            - B Raine
            - M Ashraf

Thakor, Ashraf and Stack are givens for new contracts, the others less so. Hannon has displayed good form recently, and Sheen has been consistent, so they are on the maybe list. Freck has been decent as well, but a bit one dimensional so far in terms of formats, so he is in limbo for now. Smith and Raine are confirmed departures at the end of the season, and will seek pastures new.

Comment

• Great showing in your last two 20/20 games mate!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog View Post
                Great showing in your last two 20/20 games mate!!
                Cheers! They do make up a lot for what's coming though, I don't get good results without some bad ones on the horizon.

Comment

• I'm back (again), and I have half a season's worth of posts for me to post. Brace yourselves people....

Comment

• T20: Lancashire (H)

Our next match is a chance for a couple of rotations within the team. Anthony and Fuller come in, with Ashraf and Sheen resting up. Ideally I need an all-rounder back so I can rest Patel.

We win the toss, and decide to have a bowl first.

Once again, Jos Buttler was the key as we fell to defeat. We couldn’t shift him or Proctor until it was too late, and then it was game over. Stack and Carberry fought valiantly, but to no avail.

Powerplay:
                    Lancs: 52-1
                    Leics: 37-1

10 Overs:
                    Lancs: 104-1
                    Leics: 66-1

15 overs:
                    Lancs: 149-2
                    Leics: 117-1

Batting Award:
                    David Stack – Another tremendous knock

Bowling Award:
                    Nah.

Comment

• CCD1: Middlesex (H)

Another home game now, as we play 4th placed Middlesex. Jim Anthony makes his FC debut in place of the injured Cobb in our only change for this one. Thakor remains with the 2nd XI to rediscover his form.

We lose the toss, and are told to bowl.

I hate matches like this. The ones where the first two innings are very low scoring, so the 3rd innings is ridiculous, on a thoroughly dreadful pitch. They have the stench of inevitability about them. As you can imagine, I’m more than angry. Morgan was unstoppable, and I’m ashamed of the entire team.

At least Rashid is now back. To replace Stack who is now on England duty. It never rains but it pours.

Comment

• I should point out that this story isn't dead yet, I have plans to bring it back again come the new year. After all, I wouldn't want to leave this mid season, would I?

Comment

• Hi, are you carrying on with this story? It's been great viewing so far!

Comment

• Originally posted by yorkshire View Post
                            Hi, are you carrying on with this story? It's been great viewing so far!
                            Hopefully, just need the time to do it first

Comment

• Good to know

Comment

Working...
                              X