Unrealistic run outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unrealistic run outs

Something that's been bugging me for a while is the number of run outs in first class matches when it feels completely out of sync with the actual situation. I keep having batsmen get themselves run out when I'm playing a patient game - they're on 1 or 2 bars of aggression while I'm trying to get them settled and all of a sudden they take off running when they've just hit the ball straight at a fielder. The highlight shows the fielder stopping the ball and picking it up but they start running anyway and sure enough they're out when they've barely made it past half way. It's not even a case of the bat being an inch away from being safe, you could see before they start running that they'd never make it.

I could understand it if they were on 6 or 7 aggression when chasing runs at the end of a match but this kind of thing is happening far too regularly when they're supposed to be playing a patient or defensive game.

I've even had it happen on 0 aggression when I'm playing for the draw in the final innings and have no realistic shot at a win. I send them out simply trying to survive and they'll suddenly think "Right, I've blocked it to the closest fielder - clearly the sensible choice here is to stretch my legs and see if the fielder slips on an unseen damp leaf when going for the throw".

Another one that is particularly frustrating is when they hit the ball just past a fielder and go for a quick run, making it to the other end just as the fielder gets to the ball. But instead of thinking "That was a nice single" they decide it's a cracking idea to go for 2 when you can see the fielder is close enough to the ball and close enough to the nearest wicket that it'll be an easy throw before the batsmen have a chance of making it. Again, if you're in the dying overs on high aggression I could understand it but early in an innings when you're trying to build steadily you have to think a blind person would see that was hopeless.

It's little things like this that sometimes happen a couple of times in the same innings, and it feels so unrealistic for the situation that it makes you wonder if it really matters what instructions you set.

Anyone else noticing the same?

The problem here imo is that you are linking the run out to what happens on the field, whereas what I think happens is that the game model decides a run out has happened and then generates a clip. Like, what you see isn't what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by frustratedofnewport View Post
      The problem here imo is that you are linking the run out to what happens on the field, whereas what I think happens is that the game model decides a run out has happened and then generates a clip. Like, what you see isn't what happened.
      Should'nt be the case. Should it? The two things should be integrated rather than being independent

Comment

Probably shouldn’t be the case but seems to be. I have usually taken run outs and retired hurt as percentage chances of getting out rather than modes of dismissal commensurate with game play because there are so many run outs while you are trying to block your way to a draw and retired hurt on flat pitches.

Comment

Working...
        X