Changes to the AI in selection process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to the AI in selection process

There's something not quite right with the selection of batsmen. The AI uses the skill & ability to determine if the batsman should be playing in the XI. So what happens is that players like Rohit Sharma is batting at 4 and Shikhar Dhawan is batting at 5 in ODI's! This will never ever happen. Also, if three opening batsmen are chosen in the XI, the one with the lowest skill almost always bats at number 7! This is not at all realistic.

Following are the changes proposed;

- Opening Batsmen in all three formats should bat either at 1,2 or maximum 3.
    - Opening Batsmen in Tests alone can move up and down the order depending on real life scenarios. (for eg Latham bats opening in Tests but can float at 5 or 6 in limited overs but definitely not 7!)
    - All-rounders should bat 4 or later, whether they are bowling or batting all-rounders.
    - Skill should not overtake the players normal batting position. I've got Paine opening sometimes in limited over internationals (T20 he is an opener though, but definitely not ODI's)
    - True all-rounders can float 4,5,6, but bowling all-rounders should be 7 onwards. Case in point is Sam Curran, who's batting ability puts him in at 5 sometimes.

I think this issue needs serious attention!

Disagree with a bit of this and also agree with a few points.

1st proposed change. England have many great t20 batsman down as openers like Buttler, Bairstow, Vince, Hales, Roy, Livingstone, Duckett, Malan, Joe Clarke. Are you saying all of these should be packed into the top 3 or not play at all? Personally, Id rather have Roy and Bairstow at the top then be able to have say Buttler and Livingstone coming in at 5 and 6. I’m sure many other nations have similar problems with players who open batting domestically but don’t for their country because of the difference in quality batsman available.
    3rd proposed change. What about Jacques Kallis? Shane Watson? Neil Johnson (Zimbabwe) To name but a few that were all rounders and batted in the top 3. Do you believe countries shouldn’t have the choice to field potentially their most solid batsman in the top 3 just because they bowl a bit?

My suggestion would be that each player that regularly plays a different position to their primary position is given a secondary batting position and they can bat one up or one down from either position. How would you find that?

Cheers, Liam

Comment

Originally posted by Liamh92 View Post
      Disagree with a bit of this and also agree with a few points.

1st proposed change. England have many great t20 batsman down as openers like Buttler, Bairstow, Vince, Hales, Roy, Livingstone, Duckett, Malan, Joe Clarke. Are you saying all of these should be packed into the top 3 or not play at all? Personally, Id rather have Roy and Bairstow at the top then be able to have say Buttler and Livingstone coming in at 5 and 6. I’m sure many other nations have similar problems with players who open batting domestically but don’t for their country because of the difference in quality batsman available.
      3rd proposed change. What about Jacques Kallis? Shane Watson? Neil Johnson (Zimbabwe) To name but a few that were all rounders and batted in the top 3. Do you believe countries shouldn’t have the choice to field potentially their most solid batsman in the top 3 just because they bowl a bit?

My suggestion would be that each player that regularly plays a different position to their primary position is given a secondary batting position and they can bat one up or one down from either position. How would you find that?

Cheers, Liam
      Liamh92 I see that you have misunderstood what I'm trying to illustrate. While there are a number of batsmen who can play in any position, there are so many that can play only around certain positions. In a particular ODI match, I had KL Rahul opening the innings with Prithvi Shaw. Kohli at 3, Rohit at 4 and Dhawan at 5. Now I can understand if KL Rahul is a floater because he's done that time and again. But Dhawan has never played at 5 in any form of cricket. I hope you understand the point.

Coming back to your analogy with the England line-up for T20's
      Bairstow, Hales & Roy should and will bat only at 1,2 or 3. Buttler has been a finisher in his past role, so he can play at 6 or 7. Vince, Malan, Livingstone & Clarke (Duckett is rubbish?!) should definitely bat between positions 4-6 if they are chosen in the XI. Now to give you an example with CC2020, if all of them are chosen, they will assume positions based on skill and form at that point, so maybe Hales & Roy will bat 6 or 7 in the line-up. IS THAT EVER GOING TO HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE?

Comment

Originally posted by Liamh92 View Post

Cheers, Liam
        This will definitely be more realistic!

Comment

Yeah, I should have stated the points I agree with. If the system I suggested was used then players like Dhawan and Sharma would only have opener down as OD position and therefor only bat in the top 3 of OD teams selected by AI.

PS. I only included Duckett as he has decent average and SR in T20 and has performed well in T20 finals day games in years gone by! I agree that he’d never make my England T20 side though!

Comment

Working...
          X