This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some geeky detail on fielding changes and runs engine

A few people have asked about the new fielding engine. The main aim was to give more realistic field settings, so that slips had to be closer together to avoid missing catches (as they are in real life) and close fielders for spinners needed to field closer to the wicket. The change is that players reaction times and ability to move to the ball have been altered, so that they can only use static catches initially (where they can move their hands or dive but not their feet). This means spread out slips can often still get to the ball by diving, but dives have a higher chance of drops, so there's a big advantage in using field setting as they are in real-life.

Having tweaked the timings to get that working (major job), the run scoring engine was then re-modelled so that scores are realistic. The change means the game simulates the balance between attacking and defensive fields more accurately.

I've also ironed out a few kinks in the scoring rates at various aggression levels, so that everything is balanced to give correct scores in all formats. There were changes to the balance of wickets as well and I altered the number of LBWs, which was a little high in pervious versions.
    Last edited by Chris Child; 06-30-2013, 03:34 PM.

I've also re-modelled the scoring engine for non-user matches, so the simulation of the rest of your cricket world has the same level of realism. Important for player averages etc.

Comment

I really like the new close fielding. As well as more realistic edges, diving etc, I have seen a few balls slashed to gully and point - Faf du Plessis took an amazing diving catch at gully just now for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_5000 View Post
        I really like the new close fielding. As well as more realistic edges, diving etc, I have seen a few balls slashed to gully and point.
        I agree, it's great to watch!
        Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Generally the default fields are an improvement, although it might be nice for the most defensive ones to some fielders right on the boundary, rather than a quarter of the way in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Child View Post
            I've also re-modelled the scoring engine for non-user matches, so the simulation of the rest of your cricket world has the same level of realism. Important for player averages etc.
            Does that means more high scores in OD/Odis and spinners being less effective (due to two new balls rules)? and finally more centuries in OD/ODis and the game not being extremely bowling friendly in later years?

BTW have you altered player development in this version? currently the player still seems to develop statically? like if some particular player has great second averages he is bound to become great in next 3/4 years which is kind of boring. It will be great if some one with below average 2nd team averages turn out to become great player due to dynamic and randomise player growth.
            Perhaps it can be handled via patch? or the 2nd version coming out this year?

Comment

So far I would agree that this is a batting friendly game. I think that the effect of cloud should be increased to slightly rebalance things as I just hit 331 in 40 overs with Somerset on a very cloudy day, and bowled the opposition out for 320. The pitch wasn't a belter either! In recent years I would say bowlers have fought back against the batting domination of the early 2000s. Fair enough scoring at 7 an over in a 40 or 50 over game on a sunny day, and an even wicket, but when the sky is heavy and it is seaming all over the place, some attritional, grafting cricket should be required to muster a defendable score.

Comment

I think we are being quite unfair. Last year we were complaining that the game was too bowler friendly and now we are saying it is too batsman friendly. We need to accept that it is still just a game and doesn't reflect reality exactly.

Comment

I never thought last year was too bowler friendly. Of course the game doesn't reflect reality EXACTLY, but I know the developers are always striving for accuracy which is why parameters are often tweaked when patches are released. Sometimes high scoring games do happen, but judging from the Champion's Trophy, attritional cricket has been enjoying a resurgence in the 50 over game - one can tell this, just by looking at international bowler economy rates..

Comment

Our aim is to be as realistic as we possibly can, and part of the way we achieve that is through feedback. I've been tracking the stats on games so far and the engine seems to be spot on. I'll keep tracking though, and if you find a particular element that looks odd, I'd like to know about it. One thing to note is that there are a lot of aggressive players around these days (e.g. in the Australian test squad). These players score fast, so if, for example, you're playing as or against Aus in a test, you can expect run-rates to be higher than usual.

Comment

Catches are still often going to short leg in ODI and T20 matches, hope this is changed next year if not for the next version this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Child View Post
                        Our aim is to be as realistic as we possibly can, and part of the way we achieve that is through feedback. I've been tracking the stats on games so far and the engine seems to be spot on. I'll keep tracking though, and if you find a particular element that looks odd, I'd like to know about it. One thing to note is that there are a lot of aggressive players around these days (e.g. in the Australian test squad). These players score fast, so if, for example, you're playing as or against Aus in a test, you can expect run-rates to be higher than usual.
                        Thanks for your post Chris. It is highly possible that the matches I have experienced are outliers, as I have also noticed some lower scoring 40 and 50 over matches. I think I was a little surprised at how well I scored and how well my opponent scored in a couple of matches in unfavourable conditions.

On the weather issue, please note that Johannesburg (Wanderers), Pretoria (Centurion), and Durban (Kingsmead) are in summer rainfall areas. The rain is likely to be heavy and short-lived (thunderstorms) in Jo-burg and Pretoria, and more disruptive in Durban. In fact, Durban is perfect for cricket in winter (the dry season). A T20 was rained off there the summer just gone (this is highly unusual in other parts of SA). Cape Town (Newlands) and Port Elizabeth (St George's) are generally dry in the summer (particularly later in summer). This is why the Cape Cobras and the Warriors are perhaps the most likely teams to cultivate a decent spinner, as the wickets turn a bit late in the season. Durban, Pretoria and Jo-burg are normally green tops.

On another note, I am enjoying employing short mid wickets and covers in this game - they were less useful in previous versions of the game I found.
                        Last edited by Graham_5000; 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Higher run rates in ios version

Hi chris ... Please answer me because i just made the account to tell you this
                          As you talked about higher runrates for aus ... I think indian run rates should be very high because pf the power the team posses .... I would really like u to look into it .... And its a releif to hear its gonna be some high scores on ios too hopefully

Comment

Originally posted by Sehaji View Post
                            Hi chris ... Please answer me because i just made the account to tell you this
                            As you talked about higher runrates for aus ... I think indian run rates should be very high because pf the power the team posses .... I would really like u to look into it .... And its a releif to hear its gonna be some high scores on ios too hopefully
                            The Indian team has lots of aggressive and very aggressive batsmen. You can view these on their player profiles and look at their strike-rates.

Comment

I agree that there are many aggressive batsmen, but bowlers are perfecting the art of variation, cramping batsmen for room, predicting movement within the crease and bowling inch perfect yorkers.. I think there is a pretty even balance between bat and ball around the world in all formats at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X