Fixtures as a "smaller" nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixtures as a "smaller" nation

I was thinking of starting a career as a minor nation i.e. Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, but don't want to spend the whole time playing 2-test series. Does the schedule change once you improve in the rankings, or is it programmed so Ban/Zim only ever play short series?

Originally posted by konrad_middlesex View Post
    I was thinking of starting a career as a minor nation i.e. Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, but don't want to spend the whole time playing 2-test series. Does the schedule change once you improve in the rankings, or is it programmed so Ban/Zim only ever play short series?
    NZ seem to have "two test" series a lot too. It would be great to have at least three.

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamB View Post
      NZ seem to have "two test" series a lot too. It would be great to have at least three.
      Yeah with 3 tests you get a proper decider. I'm assuming by your reply it hasn't been changed then?

Comment

Originally posted by konrad_middlesex View Post
        Yeah with 3 tests you get a proper decider. I'm assuming by your reply it hasn't been changed then?
        Unfortunately not, it would seem.

Comment

Yeah it definitely should be based on current rankings if this is not the case. I'd love to have a longer test series with Zimbabwe.

Comment

It's hard to balance the fixtures because people forget about the team they are playing. If Australia are ranked 8th and India 1st then you would think Australia would get only a 2-Test series because of their poor positioning, however because India are positioned 1st they should get a 3-5 match series?

Countries like New Zealand, Zimbabwe, Kenya etc have less test matches and one dayers because they have a smaller following of cricket in their countries. Even if a team like Bangladesh climbed the ranks to 3rd or 2nd, they would still play the same amount of matches because the following wouldn't have increased much more (although ranking higher would certainly improve your supporters base in the long run)

Comment

Originally posted by morty View Post
              It's hard to balance the fixtures because people forget about the team they are playing. If Australia are ranked 8th and India 1st then you would think Australia would get only a 2-Test series because of their poor positioning, however because India are positioned 1st they should get a 3-5 match series?

Countries like New Zealand, Zimbabwe, Kenya etc have less test matches and one dayers because they have a smaller following of cricket in their countries. Even if a team like Bangladesh climbed the ranks to 3rd or 2nd, they would still play the same amount of matches because the following wouldn't have increased much more (although ranking higher would certainly improve your supporters base in the long run)
              Except if Australia were ranked eighth and New Zealand were ranked second and they both played India in the same year. Wouldn't you expect the Indian Cricket Board to give New Zealand 3-5 test matches and Australia just 2 instead of the other way round. Because New Zealand would provide a greater spectacle which would probably bring more people to the ground as well as attract more TV viewers

Comment

Yeah, NZ is a bit sad.. Graham, have you played a home series against Australia yet? I'm at 2025 and haven't played one...

Comment

It's possible to create 3 test series with countries like NZ, Zimbabwe with my editor.
                  Check out my ICC fixture editor

Comment

Working...
                  X