England under UTBash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England under UTBash

I've been away due to my laptop BREAKING grrrr. I'm adamant that I'll do an England story well which is why i'm starting again once again!

2012/13 Schedule/Fixtures

West Indies in England (3 Tests, 3 ODI's, 1 T20i)
    Australia in England (5 ODI's)
    South Africa in England (3 Tests, 5 ODI's, 3 T20i's)
    World Cup 20 in Sri Lanka.
    England in India (4 Tests, 5 ODI's, 2 T20i's)
    England in New Zealand (3 Tests, 5 ODI's, 2 T20i's)

English Rankings as of 13 May 2012

Test Ranking: 3rd, 25pts.
    ODI Ranking: 1st, 27pts.
    T20 Ranking: 2nd, 17pts.
    Last edited by UTBash; 08-26-2012, 10:54 PM.

West Indies Squad

West Indies have travelled to England with a 16 man squad for the test series. Strangely they have only travelled with 6 recognised batsmen and 1 wicket keeper, lets hope injuries don't haunt them.

West Indies Squad

Batsmen
    Adrian Barath (Opener)
    Kieran Powell (Opener)
    Darren Bravo
    Shiv Chanderpaul
    Assad Fudadin
    Kirk Edwards

All Rounders
    Narsingh Deonarine
    Marlon Samuels

Wicket Keepers
    Dinesh Ramdin

Bowlers
    Darren Sammy (Pace)
    Tino Best (Pace)
    Fidel Edwards (Pace)
    Ravi Rampaul (Pace)
    Kemar Roach (Pace)
    Shane Shillingford (Spin)
    Shannon Gabriel (Pace)

Fudadin and Gabriel could make their test debuts in this series.

Comment

England Squad

James Taylor gets his first England call up and is rumoured to be starting in the Test Match. The last place in the 11 will be contested between Broad, Bresnan and Taylor.

England 1st Test Squad

Batsmen
      Andrew Strauss (c) (Opener)
      Alastair Cook (Opener)
      Jonathan Trott
      Ian Bell
      Kevin Pietersen
      James Taylor

Wicket Keepers
      Matt Prior

All Rounders
      Tim Bresnan
      Stuart Broad

Bowlers
      Steven Finn
      James Anderson
      Graeme Swann

Comment

1st Test Teams

West Indies are at full strength, and Taylor takes the 11th place, bolstering the lower order on his debut. Broad starts ahead of Bresnan as the fourth bowler but Bresnan will play a part in the series.

Comment

1st Test vs WIndies

I've seen Dave K's way of doing the days and have decided to adapt this approach!

We won the toss and chose to bat.

Day One
          We took the first session, losing only Strauss for 21 thanks to some dodgy fielding by the West Indians. Cook ended the morning on 43 and him and Trott left the field with 79 on the board. Cook brought up his 50 and the team 100 in the 38th over with a clip through mid wicket as we continued to dominate. Trott brought up his 50 just as majestically, with a chinese cut for 4, lucky lucky! At the end of the afternoon session we were 173-1. The West Indies took the new ball with 25 minutes of the day left and with the final ball of the day Cook (152) was trapped in front by Rampaul. We ended on 293-2 with Trott on 116.

Day Two
          The WIndies started aggressively and were rewarded as new man Bell (1) was caught in gully off the bowling of Rampaul early on. Their pacemen fired through our middle order, taking 5 wickets for the next 100 runs. At 406-8 we were expecting to in the field soon, however, a surprising partnership of 109 between Broad (71) and Anderson (55*) took us to 515, before Broad went and Anderson had to retire hurt, leaving us a bowler short. We had an hour left on Day 2 to take a few wickets and put them under pressure. We were unable to and they ended day 2 on 69-0

Day Three
          The West Indies lost 2 wickets in the first session, those of Barath (70) and Powell (26), however they looked to be making a competitive total as Chanderpaul (73) and Darren Bravo (58) made a handy partnership and some handy runs. Cue Finns' devastating spell. 6/29 off 6 overs, including 5 batsman getting ducks, resulted in the WIndies falling to 281 all out. We were given the chance to enforce the follow on however I felt with time left in the game, our middle order batsmen may need a bit of practise from the first innings slump, so I decided against the follow on. Cook and Strauss took us to 68-0 by the end of the day.

Day Four
          Our openers did too well, reaching 64 and 100*, so only Bell managed to get a decent bat, reaching 46* before we declared with a lead of 457 with one session left in the day. Lets hope my decision doesn't backfire on us! WIndies ended the day on 102-2. The last day is poised to entertaining or painstakingly boring, no middle man.

Day Five
          The West Indies started the day well before a mini collapse at the end of the first session leaving them struggling on 169-5. Darren Bravo retired hurt, so this meant we only needed 9 wickets to win the game. However, the Windies' tail wagged and it was a disappointing end to a game in which we performed for 3 and a half days. Finn had a shocker, taking 0 wickets for 98. Our lack of a fourth bowler didn't help but this was one we should have won! Whoops it's my fault, guess this may have to be a two-niller!

Batting Award: Alastair Cook. Averaging over 100 over the 2 innings, great batting display in the first innings.

Bowling Award: This is a hard one, Finn had a 7 fer but then a nightmare.... Okay Steven Finn, but a bit reluctantly after that second innings.

I am NOT writing this much from now on, I get carried away...
          Last edited by UTBash; 08-21-2012, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UTBash View Post
            I've seen Dave K's way of doing the days and have decided to adapt this approach!
            Glad you like it! Will be interesting to read, and of course see how the WIndies do without an injured keeper!
            Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

2nd Test vs WIndies

Squad News: Toby Roland-Jones for Anderson.

Team News: Roland-Jones for Anderson, Bresnan for Broad. Roland-Jones has had a good start to the first class season and Broad was unimpressive with the ball in the last game, although he batted well, I know Bresnan can do a similar job with the bat.

Samuels comes in for Darren Bravo for West Indies.

West Indies won the toss and chose to bat

Day 1
              Very nearly a day to forget! The West Indies were cruising at 240-2 with opener Powell way past 100 before a final hour collapse to 298-8. Finn and Bresnan went through their middle order pretty easily.

Day 2
              Bresnan and Finn finished the job early on bowling the WIndies out for 312 in horrendous overcast conditions. We struggled to get to grips with the bad conditions, and although many of us got starts, nobody really pushed on! We ended the day on 288-9.

Day 3
              As expected we lost our last wicket in the first over after Finn fired a 6 and was out next ball. 294 all out and we trailed by 18. We had a session to take advantage of the conditions before it was forecast to change. Despite Kirk Edwards' century, no other batsmen managed to support him well enough. We bowled well and in particular Finn and Bresnan once again led the attack, West Indies finished on 258-7.

Day 4
              Job almost done. We finished the 3rd innings off swiftly, bowling them out for 266. We needed 285 to win and we were confident. Cook, Trott and Bell all passed fifty to take us to 273-2, needing just 12 to win.

Day 5
              Game over, 8 wicket win!

Batting Award: Jonathan Trott. A great 99* to take us to the end after being required earlier than expected.

Bowling Award: Tim Bresnan. Two good four wicket hauls, followed closely by Finn for this award.

Series State: England lead 1-0 with one game left.

Comment

3rd Test vs WIndies

Squad News: Onions and Chris Metters in for Broad and Roland-Jones. Simon Kerrigan was due to be called up but broke his finger, so Metters was called up as the young spinner.

Team News: Onions in for Roland-Jones. Unfortunately Metters misses out due to the constant overcast conditions over the 5 days.

West Indies won the toss and chose to field.

Day 1
                A very good day considering. We battled through the conditions to reach 203-1 in a rain affected day, KP passed 100 batting at 3 and Cook finishes on 88*.

Day 2
                A day of domination. Cook passed 100 early on and KP made 179 before their partnership of 342 was broken midway through the afternoon. Cook fell on 200 and Trott and Bell ended the day unbeaten after both passing 50 in the final session. We were 527-3.

Day 3
                Okay I may have enjoyed batting a bit too much. We ended the day on 864-6, with Trott and Bresnan joining the hundred club. Trott finishes the day on 197 and Bresnan on 117. Roll on day 4!!

Day 4
                BAT ON! NOTE: This is on NORMAL difficulty! We batted until we were all out in the final session, which allowed us to make 1093 all out, a personal record. Trott (276) and Bresnan (194) made an all time 7th wicket partnership record of 357! It was fun! Okay so maybe the win is a bit much to get, but at least we will win the series, haha, imagine we lost. The Windies ended the day on 59 without loss.

Day 5
                A rain affected day in which the in form Powell batted through to make 134 not out and WIndies ending on 134. Match drawn, but who cares? We've kept our ranking intact and broke a record, and had a bit of fun to finish the series before we need to knuckle down with the big boys!

Heres the scorecard of that mammoth innings....

And the game......

Batting Award: Jonathan Trott. One of four massive innings'.

Bowling Award: Steven Finn. 16-5-28-1, a lot better than Swann and Bresnan who went at 4 an over and got a few wickets.

Series State: England win 1-0.

Comment

Test series vs West Indies (STATISTICS)

Top 5 English Batsmen (Runs & AVG)
                  1. J Trott - 545 runs @ 136.25
                  2. A Cook - 526 runs @ 105.20
                  3. K Pietersen - 242 runs @ 80.67
                  4. I Bell - 212 runs @ 70.67
                  5. T Bresnan - 208 runs @ 104

Top 5 West Indies Batsmen (Runs & AVG)
                  1. K Powell - 339 runs @ 84.75
                  2. S Chanderpaul - 228 runs @ 45.60
                  3. K Edwards - 181 runs @ 36.20
                  4. A Barath - 172 runs @ 34.40
                  5. Darren Bravo - 92 runs @ 92

Top 5 English Bowlers (Wickets & AVG)
                  1. S Finn - 16 wickets @ 22.56
                  2. G Swann - 11 wickets @ 39.00
                  3. T Bresnan - 10 wickets @ 21.60
                  4. S Broad - 3 wickets @ 55.00
                  5. J Trott - 2 wickets @ 38.00

Top 5 West Indian Bowlers (Wickets & AVG)
                  1. R Rampaul - 13 wickets @ 55.23
                  2. D Sammy - 9 wickets @ 59.44
                  3. K Roach - 5 wickets @ 94.20
                  4. F Edwards - 5 wickets @ 117.80
                  5. N Obody - lol

Series Awards

Batting Award: Alastair Cook. More consistent than Trott, however that doesn't take anything away from Trotts' performances, any other series and he would've picked up the award.

Bowling Award: Steven Finn. Showed signs of genius with the ball, especially with his devastating spell in the first test.

SUMMARY

Our bowling was disappointing in this series and we need to bounce back when the Saffers come to visit after our one dayer's and t20's with the WIndies and Aussies. Bresnan has taken his opportunity and more, making sure he is the man chosen over Stuart Broad as I prefer 4 bowlers to 5. Roland-Jones may not get a chance for a while and James Taylor will be sent back to his club to try and pick up some form for the South Africa series after only averaging 24 with the bat. Anderson will be a big boost in our next test series.

Comment

ODI Series Squad

For this series I've kept the bulk of the test side while introducing some younger players such as Chopra, Bairstow and Briggs. I've selected a few spinners because for me they always play a big part in the one day game. Anderson is back in the squad but is still unfit, it will be down to the last minute whether he plays the first game or not.

England ODI series squad

Batsmen
                    Alastair Cook (Opener)
                    Ian Bell (Opener)
                    Jonathan Trott
                    Varun Chopra (Opener)
                    Eoin Morgan
                    Ravi Bopara

Wicket Keepers
                    Jonny Bairstow
                    Matt Prior
                    Craig Kieswetter

All Rounders
                    Samit Patel
                    Tim Bresnan

Bowlers
                    Graeme Swann (Spin)
                    James Anderson (Pace)
                    Steven Finn (Pace)
                    Danny Briggs (Spin)

Comment

XI's

I've gone with an experimental XI for the first game, i think the extra 10 overs can be filled by the part timers Bopara and Trott, maybe one or two from Bell......

Comment

We won the toss and chose to bowl, the wicket was immaculate but I prefer to chase.

The West Indies got off to a bad start losing an early wicket, but they rebuilt, and at a good run rate too. Powell (91) was supported by handy contributions by the top order batsmen, but their lower order was unable to push on from the good start at the end. Briggs was disappointing going for 65 off his 10, Bopara was the surprise taking 2-43 off 10.

We never scored quickly enough, Cook and Chopra the main culprits, scoring at a strike rate of 52.00 each. The required rate climbed and we kept wickets in hand, with a good partnership forming between Trott (82) and Bell (50). We needed 77 off 11, and losing the two wickets of the set men meant we were unable to push on to win the game, falling short by 6 runs.

I should've realised how far down we can bat and gone more aggressive earlier, oh well i'm STILL learning at the one day game.

Batting Award: Jonathan Trott. A good 82 but a shame he couldn't take us home.

Bowling Award: Tim Bresnan. The best figures at a decent economy, proving to be a massive part of my squad.

Comment

2nd ODI vs WINDIES

Team News: Anderson in for Briggs.

We won the toss and had a bat this time.

We improved slightly with our total, reaching 236-6. Once again batsmen got starts and didn't push on, with 3 men getting into the 40's. Darren Sammy once again did well and restricted the runs during his spells. Eoin Morgan hit an unbeaten 59 off 64 to take us to our final total.

My idea was that if we bowled aggressively at the start and took a few wickets, we'd be into the bowlers in no time. Unfortunately it didn't go this way, and their openers raced to 50-0 off 9. 3 wickets for the next 20 runs left the WIndies on 70-3 and we thought we could take advantage here, but we didn't. A partnership of 117 between Powell and Deonarine took the West Indies into a strong position and although they both fell before the end, the job was easy enough for Ramdin and Sammy to finish off.

Very disappointed to have lost a home series against a weak side, but hopefully we'll find our form for the big games. I'm shocking at one dayers.

Batting Award: Eoin Morgan. Unbeaten half century at a good rate.

Bowling Award: Steven Finn. Somebody had to have the award, can't say he did much wrong but nobody else did much right.

Comment

3rd ODI

Team News: Samit Patel for Varun Chopra. Bell to open.

Once again we won the toss. We bowled.

At 140-1 after 30 overs, the West Indies were set to make a big total. But when Powell (54) and Chanderpaul (83) both well in quick succession, the collapse of all collapses happened. 6 of the last 8 West Indian batsmen failed to pass 1 run. Anderson led the collapse, ending with figures of 7.3-0-28-5.

An easy chase. Too little too late, but a similar story of batsmen getting starts and not continuing. Never the less a satisfying win, finally. Well done James Anderson!

Batting Award: Jonathan Trott. Took the game home with his second half century of the series.

Bowling Award: Quite obviously James Anderson. Can't wait to get him on the test scene for the first time under myself.

Series State: West Indies win 2-1.

Comment

ODI Series VS West Indies (STATISTICS)

Top 5 English Batsmen (Runs & AVG)
                              1. J Trott - 144 runs @ 72.00
                              2. I Bell - 125 runs @ 41.67
                              3. A Cook - 120 runs @ 40.00
                              4. M Prior - 96 runs @ 32.00
                              5. E Morgan - 72 runs @ 72.00

Top 5 West Indies Batsmen (Runs & AVG)
                              1. K Powell - 234 runs @ 78.00
                              2. N Deonarine - 136 runs @ 45.33
                              3. S Chanderpaul - 119 runs @ 39.67
                              4. D Sammy - 46 runs @ 46.00
                              5. A Barath - 33 runs @ 11.00

Top 5 English Bowlers (Wickets & AVG)
                              1. T Bresnan - 7 wickets @ 20.43
                              2. J Anderson - 5 wickets @ 13.60
                              3. R Bopara - 3 wickets @ 22.67
                              4. S Finn - 3 wickets @ 39.00
                              5. G Swann - 3 wickets @ 41.67

Top 5 West Indian Bowlers (Wickets & AVG)
                              1. D Sammy - 5 wickets @ 18.50
                              2. T Best - 3 wickets @ 44.00
                              3. K Roach - 3 wickets @ 47.00
                              4. S Shillingford - 2 wickets @ 56.50
                              5. R Rampaul - 1 wicket @ 135.00

Series Awards

Batting Award: Jonathan Trott. Two good innings, wasn't supported enough by fellow batsmen, bar a couple.

Bowling Award: Tim Bresnan. If Anderson had played all 3 then maybe it would be him receiving this award.

SUMMARY

A boring, unexciting, average series with two sides performing distinctly averagely. Our scoring speed and batsmen consistency was disappointing and although at time we bowled well, on the whole it was just as bad. Swann needs to find some form desperately.

Comment

Working...
                              X