J Taylor
    C Kieswetter
    E Morgan
    S Patel
    S Broad
    G Swann
    D Mascarenhas
    B Rankin

The England lads return for this, as does Craig Kieswetter who is back from injury. A strong line-up and we really should win this. We’ve brought ourselves back into contention in this group, so a loss would be gutting.

The performance was a bit pathetic if I’m honest. The batting was good, granted, but we should have got so many more runs. We tailed off at the end massively. Then the bowling was appalling. It was a great pitch to bat on, granted, but even so. The bowling attack, all of which have played for their countries, looked toothless against some mediocre batsmen. Still, other results went our way so we are still in this. Just.

Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

• Notts vs Surrey

Another Challenge Trophy match next, and once again, we need to win this at all costs. Lose and we can probably write off winning the trophy.

S Kelsall
      A Hales
      J Denly
      J Taylor
      C Kieswetter
      E Morgan
      P Trego
      A Carter
      J Dalrymple
      D Mascarenhas
      B Rankin

The England guys go back to the Ashes, so we have the usual suspects of Carter, Dalrymple, and Trego step in. Kelsall comes in for Ellis as well.

The result was highly unfair on Surrey I feel. We didn’t deserve to win. Peter Trego did well with the bowling, and did take some vital wickets. But, like the other bowlers, he was expensive. Surrey posted a good total, certainly a defendable one on a swinging pitch.

We started slowly, and then our batting order proceeded to collapse. Apart from Hales, Trego and Dalrymple, none of my other batsmen got past 20. Alex Hales played a magnificent game. He scored a commanding century, leading from the front, but after Trego went, we were behind the run rate, and running out of options. However, Jamie Dalrymple is really starting to show that he is a very capable game winner. He was the only bowler to be fairly economical from his 8 overs, and then supported Hales superbly, getting vital runs when needed, to see Nottinghamshire through to an undeserved victory. I’m not complaining though, I really needed those points!

Comment

• Notts vs Scots

We play Scotland again, looking to hit runs, and gain some much needed form. No reserve team today, I need to get my first team into shape it appears.

S Elstone
        A Hales
        J Denly
        J Taylor
        C Kieswetter
        E Morgan
        P Trego
        A Carter
        J Dalrymple
        D Mascarenhas
        B Rankin

My only change is bringing in Elstone for Kelsall, as Elstone can provide me with some quick runs lower down the order, and so I can promote Kieswetter up a bit.

A solid performance in the end, but I’m disappointed in how many runs we conceded. The opening bowlers were expensive, as Worker reached 82. Trego again was our best bowler, picking up 3 wickets, but did take a bit of flak from the batsmen. The three wickets were important though, and we could have been worse off without them.

Once again, our batting did not look great. It tool solid performances from Eoin Morgan (77*), who anchored the innings, and Peter Trego (40*), who had a good match all-round; to get us to the total, after our batsmen kept getting starts, but holed out cheaply. Overall, I can live with the victory, of course I can, but being critical, against a weaker opponent, we should have finished it off ages ago.

Warwickshire in the County Championship next.

Comment

• Notts vs Warwicks

S Elstone
          A Hales
          J Denly
          J Taylor
          C Kieswetter
          E Morgan
          P Trego
          A Carter
          J Dalrymple
          D Mascarenhas
          B Rankin

I decided to keep faith in the team that played the last match, in the hope that we could do some damage in this game.

It was a great match for the spectator, and I really enjoyed playing this one out. Denly and Hales found form in the sunshine, on a lifeless track, but which would crumble later on in the match. When Hales went, Kieswetter took over, and Warwickshire found themselves really up against it. In the end, we made a solid 555, with contributions from everybody. Mascarenhas just missed out on a half century, and Rankin and Carter got some runs, and we looked comfortable.

Varun Chopra had no intentions of backing off though, following in the footsteps of Denly and Kieswetter, hitting a fine century, and leaving the match finely poised. He was supported for a while by Hurley, but no batsmen really stayed long enough to help him kick on and get the full batting points. They missed out, just, after some good bowling at the death of the innings by Mascarenhas, who is finally coming into his element. We also led by enough at this stage to enforce a follow on. Given that we had a lead of 180ish, I decided to go for it, and hope that if we could break through early, in overcast conditions, that we could force the batsmen to fail.

The innings started well for us, with some tight bowling, and the early removal of Varun Chopra, as he was looking dangerous again. Westwood and Hurley looked good again, but it was the same as the first innings; no-one could stay in and get the runs. In fact, the 2nd largest partnership was from Kirby and Miller, whose 10th wicket partnership of 70 very nearly cost me the match. We just couldn’t break them, eventually doing so in the last session, leaving us an hour and a half to chase 140-odd.

Fortunately, my openers have both been T20 internationals during their careers, and showed why, as they set off like a train on fire.Even when Hales fell for 42, Kieswetter came in, and was explosive. Denly hit a measured 85, albeit a very quick one, and we got home with half an hour left in the day. A maximum points win for us, which gives us a 50 point advantage over Lancashire with 3 to play. It’s been a good year so far.

Next, we have Somerset in the Challenge Trophy, knowing that only top of the group will be enough to get through for us, as both 2nd places in the other two groups have more points.

Comment

• Notts vs Somerset

The England guys are available for this match, but I decided to leave them out due to the good form we’ve been displaying.

K Tennison
            A Hales
            J Denly
            J Taylor
            C Kieswetter
            E Morgan
            P Trego
            A Carter
            J Dalrymple
            D Mascarenhas
            B Rankin

The only change to be made is that K Tennison comes in for S Elstone, as Tennison is displaying some really attacking tendencies, that would be useful in this format.

A dominant victory in the end, as Nottinghamshire starred with both bat and ball. Once again, Denly and Hales started well, and this trend continued through the innings, Morgan and Kieswetter chipping in. Hales made a maginificent century before falling, and Tennison chipped in with a useful 31 from 27, as we finished on a high total of 264-6.

Somerset could never really get going in the end, as Andy Carter took 4 early wickets to remove the top order. Rankin then took over and took 3 wickets, leaving Somerset on the brink, and in fact, credit has to go to Marcus Trescothick for being able to stay in at the top of the order, and at least push Somerset nearer to the total.

We go top with this win, and with 2nd place Yorkshire having played all 12 games, qualification is starting to look a bit more promising.

For now, it is T20 finals day, and we want to finish it with a victory starting against Essex in the semi final.

Comment

• Notts vs Essex

K Tennison
              S Patel
              J Denly
              J Taylor
              C Kieswetter
              E Morgan
              P Trego
              A Carter
              J Dalrymple
              D Mascarenhas
              B Rankin

Hales has been selected to join Swann and Broad with England, but they did leave me Samit Patel, so it’s a straight swap. Otherwise, I’m happy with the team.

For a while, it didn’t look as if we would get the victory. We battled well, and scored at a good enough rate, and reached a respectable 188-8, Samit Patel hitting 4 6’s in his knock, and Tennison also impressed me with a calm display of batting, to attempt to keep Patel on strike. This guy looks to have potential.

Essex also played well though, Ross Taylor being the main contributor. His 71 ensured Essex kept in the game, it was down to Carter to remove him at the death. Dalrymple was given the 19th over, and 2 wickets in 2 balls sealed victory. He doesn’t take very many wickets, but at least he takes them exactly when I need them.

So, we go through to the final. I’ve been here before though, can we forget last year, and go onwards to victory?

Comment

• Notts vs Warwicks T20 FINAL

We play Warwickshire for the priviledge of holding the T20 cup. An unchanged squad will hopefully see us through.

K Tennison
                S Patel
                J Denly
                J Taylor
                C Kieswetter
                E Morgan
                P Trego
                A Carter
                J Dalrymple
                D Mascarenhas
                B Rankin

I made a very poor call by electing to bat first. I knew it was a bowler’s pitch, and there were overcast conditions later on, so I decided that this was the best it was going to get. We didn’t start well, and lost both of our openers early on. Despite this, we carried on, and James Taylor stayed in to try and give some stability. His 34 was vital to our innings, as was the late order contributions made by Dalrymple (20) and Mascarenhas (30). Mascarenhas has bailed me out a few times this season now, as he is a capable batsman.

We had only posted a total of 145, but the lads went out into the field buoyant nonetheless. This was rewarded after 2 balls, Mascarenhas picking up the wicket of Ringham for a duck. This spurred us on, and the opening bowlers of Carter and Dimi picked up 4 wickets between them. Boyd Rankin took over, and showed why he is such a classy T20 bowler, ripping through the middle order and taking 3 wickets. Only some lax bowling from Trego and Dalrymple let Warwicks back into the match, before Samit Patel steadied the ship. Trego was given the last over, with 17 needed to win, and conceded 15, giving us the victory by 1 run, but a still a win.

It also gives me the piece of domestic silverware I was yet to win, and I am delighted with a good campaign.

Normal service to be resumed though with a game against Derbyshire in the Challenge Cup.

Comment

• Notts vs Derbyshire

K Tennison
                  S Patel
                  J Denly
                  J Taylor
                  C Kieswetter
                  E Morgan
                  P Trego
                  A Carter
                  J Dalrymple
                  D Mascarenhas
                  B Rankin

An unchanged line-up again, as I keep faith with the team that won the final.

From jubilation to heartbreak.

Some good hitting from Ross Whitely has stopped us reaching the semis of the Challenge Trophy by a marginal run rate. I’m thoroughly gutted by this, but it means that the clean sweep will have to wait for another year.

To be fair, we could have played a lot better, the spinners were both shocking. Dimi, Carter and Rankin all bowled well again, but Patel and Dalrymple were expensive, as was Trego.

I thought we’d posted a decent target, given the overcast conditions, but Ross Whiteley showed what a talent he is to win the match for Derbyshire. Glamorgan go through ahead of us, and we only have 3 FC matches left now this season.

The first of these matches is against Durham

Comment

• Notts vs Durham

K Tennison
                    S Patel
                    A Ellis
                    J Casey
                    C Kieswetter
                    E Morgan
                    B Read
                    A Ireland
                    J Dalrymple
                    D Mascarenhas
                    N Arif

I decided to rest players for this match, so we could have a strong finish.Therefore Ellis, Casey and Read all come in, as do Arif and Ireland.

Again, not a great move by me, as Durham posted a mammoth first innings score. Granted, we also posted a decent score, but by that point, there was no chance a result was likely. However, Tennison did perform well, but that’s about it for this match.

I apologise for the short length of this post and the next two, I played these matches in a block, and had to go back to write the report having slept, so the memories a little fuzzy. That and I want to finish the season as well!

Comment

• Notts vs Essex

K Tennison
                      S Patel
                      A Ellis
                      J Casey
                      C Kieswetter
                      E Morgan
                      B Read
                      P Franks
                      A Carter
                      D Mascarenhas
                      D Pattinson

Ireland, Arif and Dalrymple all drop out, so Franks, Pattinson and Carter come in.

A rain hit match, significant for the return to form for Craig Kieswetter. This return to form pleases me, as we still have a title challenge to go, and those runs will be invaluable in getting a few more points on the board. With the two draws in the last two games, Surrey have caught me. It’s my fault, I got cocky and rested players. However, Surrey need to get 13 more points than I do in the last game to take the title from me. Close stuff!

Comment

• Notts vs Derbys

K Tennison
                        S Patel
                        A Ellis
                        J Denly
                        R Wessels
                        J Taylor
                        B Read
                        P Franks
                        A Carter
                        D Mascarenhas
                        D Pattinson

Morgan and Kieswetter join England, and Casey is dropped, so the refreshed Wessels, Taylor and Denly play the last match of the season. Franks and Pattinson play probably their last games, Read and Tennison keep their places ahead of Casey and Lumb.

The players knew the stakes for this match; either a win or a high scoring draw, got us the title. It started all according to plan, as my youth players for this year, Read and Tennison, guaranteed themselves contract offers with their first centuries. Read hit a measured 146, while Tennison continued on to reach 172. The declaration came with Tennison’s departure, and we aimed to get Derbyshire out quickly. Surrey at this point were behind at Warwickshire
                        The bowling lacked, well, anything. Derbyshire got over 500, and severely weakened our title chances, especially as Warwickshire had collapsed to defeat against Surrey. Durston batted well to his credit, but again, I need better back up bowlers it would appear.

The rest of the match was academic as there was no time for a result, our second innings basically just being a T20 innings for us.

It finished a draw, but did we win the title?

All will be revealed with the stats post showing the tables…

Comment

• Apologies in the delayed post, it's been a busy few days!

Anyway, the stats for this season, starting with the tables...

County Championship Division 1:

Well, we won it! A single point though, and given how big our lead was at the halfway point, we probably should have done a lot better. Still, a win is a win, so I'm not worried! Hopefully, we will kick on next season, and this won't happen. I hope...

Couny Championship D2:

Challenge Trophy Group:

T20 Group:

Comment

• Season Overviews:

FC Overview:

One Day Overview:

T20 Overview:

Once again, no standout individual performances. Not that I mind as long as we win of course!

Transfers coming up...

Comment

• Transfers

OUT:
                              K Turner
                              J Casey
                              P Franks
                              D Pattinson
                              A Ireland
                              N Edwards
                              A Russell
                              K Mills

Turner didn’t play, so he leaves as does Edwards. Casey could be a good player, but I have better youth players available. Franks and Pattinson are expensive and losing their edge,so I’m going to try and replace them with younger players. Ireland is terminated, as he was very poor, and unlikely to play for me again. Mills and Russell go back to their respective countries, having not impressed.

INS:
                              Tom Craddock
                              Sajid Mahmood
                              Tom Smith
                              K Hurley
                              J Hopper
                              Josh Cobb

No overseas players for me this time, as they weren’t effective last year, or weren’t there to play. Craddock gives me an extra spin option, something I’ve been lacking. Mahmood and Smith both arrive from Lancashire, and are good pace bowlers, Smith also being able to bat. Josh Cobb is a handy all-rounder, and can hit the ball hard. Hurley and Hopper are both regen batsmen, but both impressed against me last season. Hurley played for the Warwickshire side that held me to a draw, and nearly got another, whilst batting at 3.

Also, rejected England again, but will probably take it at the end of the season. Would this be a recommended career move?

Comment

• Well done on a successful season. You did cut it very fine in the County Championship though!

I won't be accepting the England job should I ever be offered it, because I wouldn't then have full control over my County team, but what you do is entirely up to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X