How to take wickets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take wickets

As per the thread title - how do you guys do it? I didn't think I was that bad, but when I lose to a dreadful side like New Zealand by an innings, I know I'm doing something wrong.

I'm using Sri Lanka btw, complete with Murali, Mendis and Malinga, yet still struggling. Right now I'm just looking at the batsman's preferences, and bowling where he 'doesn't like it', if that makes sense. However, it feels a bit like click-and-hope when that plan doesn't work - I have no idea what else to do, and am just pressing 'play next over' hoping he gets out soon.

Any tips/tactics/solutions?

Help is at hand!

In FC/TEST matches never bowl outside off stump even if the batsman prefers the leg side unless you are really up against it (i.e. they are batting aggressively to get a big score to declare and leave enough time to bowl you out cheaply)

Don't bowl short for long periods of time. If you are against a batsman who prefers to use his front foot, bowl short for a few overs, and if he's still not out, go back to a good length.

Always attack new batsman. Go up to five aggression bars to begin with and bowl at middle and leg stump. If runs aren't an issue, but time is, bowl at six aggression bars and keep it there.

If conditions suit (very cloudy, for example) and the ball is new (less than 20 overs old), bowl at a full length to get that ball to swing in or away further. FM and M bowlers are best at this than MFs and F's.

If a batsman gets their eye in, try bowling round the wicket for a few overs, though don't bowl round the wicket too much as you'll get fewer lbw decisions going your way.

Part time bowlers are well known to be partnership breakers, especially if the batsmen are happy to try to slog them out of the ground. They may end up getting caught in the deep, or even miss the ball completely, getting out bowled or lbw.

Don't use the same bowling tactics for hours on end, but at the same time don't change your line and length every over. Get the batsman accustomed to a particular line and length, then change every so often so that they never get settled. A surprise bouncer can get many a batsman out, even compulsive hookers!
    Last edited by Jeppo; 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM.
    My collection: ICC 2005 || ICC 2009 || ICC 2011 || ICC 2012

Comment

That's brilliant. I'll try some of these tips in my next game. Thanks very much.

Comment

Great stuff, thanks for the tips.

Comment

Jeppo - re your tips for seam bowling: shouldn't it be M & MF bowlers who take advantage of cloudy conditions rather than M & FM ? This would seem more intinctively correct.

Comment

Dobcheev - as I understand it, the game considers FM to be slower than MF. Thus, the order of pace bowler speeds from slowest to fastest is M, FM, MF, F. I find that my MF bowlers don't swing the ball as much when you look at the ball tracker (when conditions are good) so I assume that this is correct.

Comment

Exactly what Kongquistador said.

While it didn't make sense to me at first, another member from these fora (can't remember his/her name - if you're reading this, sorry) argued that if you look at the written English, The second word is usually the more dominant of the two words.

Either way, in the game, from slowest to fastest: M, FM, MF, F.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification guys. M & FM it is then. I'll give the opposition the full length treatment when it looks like rain. I've been using my FM's as my main strike bowlers with the new ball ever since I started playing ICC ! Ignorance is bliss.

As the majority of matches seemingly don't feature overcast conditions, have you come up with any good fast-to-medium bowling tactics that work reasonably well when it's sunny on a flat track, or is it just a question of bowling defensively until the wicket deteriorates a bit ?
                Last edited by Dobcheev; 09-20-2011, 06:23 PM.

Comment

F and MF bowlers rely more on the pitch than overhead conditions. They are also a lot better with the new ball. While they tend to give more wicket-taking opportunities, they can't bowl long spells (You're lucky if they bowl 7 or 8 overs in a spell) and they also tend to be more expensive.

If it's sunny and the pitch is batsman friendly, you just have to grit your teeth and bowl at three aggression bars (or 4-5 for new batsman) and bowl to the batsman's weaknesses (e.g. bowl full if they have a back foot preference). Ensure there are at least two slips in against seam bowlers and have a slip and a short leg for when you turn to spin. You'd do well if you bowl a side out for under 350 in such conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeppo View Post
                    F and MF bowlers rely more on the pitch than overhead conditions. They are also a lot better with the new ball. While they tend to give more wicket-taking opportunities, they can't bowl long spells (You're lucky if they bowl 7 or 8 overs in a spell) and they also tend to be more expensive.

If it's sunny and the pitch is batsman friendly, you just have to grit your teeth and bowl at three aggression bars (or 4-5 for new batsman) and bowl to the batsman's weaknesses (e.g. bowl full if they have a back foot preference). Ensure there are at least two slips in against seam bowlers and have a slip and a short leg for when you turn to spin. You'd do well if you bowl a side out for under 350 in such conditions.
                    Cheers & much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X