Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas

Hi, I've come up with a few suggestions I've gathered over the years playing this game (and lurking here) for discussion. Some are bigger in scope, and would be major changes that might not even be possible, and some suggestions are smaller QoL ideas with improving the depth of the game in mind.
    The simplest ones are in italics, and the ideas I consider the most important are in bold.

Graphical/Animations:

Bowling speeds in the UI.

Bowling variations, especially t20. (slower ball, cutters, out/inswing, spinners)

't20' batting shots animated, and different bowling/batting styles animated.

Less offside slog sixes. It seems to happen too much, and with weird shots.

Animation of someone leaving a ball that bowls them.

Show opposition captain

Match Gameplay:

Keeper options. The option to swap keepers, or keep up close.

Nightwatchmen.

AI selection refinement

Management Gameplay:

Appoint a captain (for each format, maybe) with a visible leadership skill at the start of the season. They become the default captain for that year.

Choose central contracts.

The ability to ask any international player to sign (I guess have it so not all would be willing to sign) instead of a predetermined list.

Bowlers slow down as they age.

Some players retire from certain formats, or international games, as they near the end of their career. Also, asking players to come out of retirement.

More injuries, including some long term injuries, and concussions. Some players are more susceptible to injuries (maybe physio can fix them, too).

Absolutely pointless addition, but shirt numbers.

Major Additions/Revisions:

Traits:
    Add some personality and flavor to the players, especially the regens.
    Examples:
    Bowls Bouncers, like Wagner from NZ. (more likely to bowl short bowls)
    Quick leggies, like Rashid Khan. (they bowl quicker spinners) or loopy spinners (slower)
    Chips it to the fielder (more chance of getting out caught)
    Extra Fast (for players like Jeff Thompson or Shaun Tait who can regularly hit 150km/h+)
    Accumulator, hits 1s and 2s in limited overs
    Finisher, boost at the end of an innings.

Personalities: Things likes 'resolute', 'temperamental'. Maybe these don't become visible until after selected in a roster.

The ability to ask any international player to sign (I guess have it so not all would be willing to sign) instead of a predetermined list.

Regens overtake young players too quickly still. Maybe have no regens in the first year and better youth training/improvement for real youngsters.

Have a way to invest in cricketing infrastructure in your country, like coaching, facilities, focus on batting or bowling, etc. This will help generate better players, and the country gets more games.

More 'minnow' games. (or at least more players from non-associate nations available to sign)
    Sargey, Captain of the Omnipresent Council, Commander of the Omniscient, and Grand Lord of Overbearing Titles.

Great post Sargey, something I've been meaning to write for a while also. There are some others I would add from the experience I've gained playing a detailed version of the game (watching most balls, doing my own analytics, etc).

Graphical/Animations:

- Make the sightscreens black for white ball games

Match Gameplay / Rules of the Game:

- Intervals taken mid-over if wicket falls within the last over before a scheduled interval

- Intervals taken early if innings break falls within 10 minutes before an scheduled interval

- Introduce Over Rates and associated penalties (this would encouage using spinners)

- Illustrate which end bowlers are bowling from with greater differences in bowling from different ends (e.g. Lord's slope)

- Don't always play on the central wicket on the square - use ones to the sides leading to some boundaries being shorter / longer

- Pitch Conditions refinement:
    - Sometimes wickets flatten out and improve

- Enable different pitch conditions at different ends / lengths / lines
    - If using a left armer at one end, foot marks could make the pitch sharp turn at one end when bowling to a RHB off stump.

- When there is a 2hr rain delay, take breaks early to start early and also don't play a single over before going back in for an interval.

- I'm still doing analysis but there does appear to the case where a lot of wickets fall in overs 70 - 79 before a new ball.

- Create a scale when batting for partnerships to set their desire to chase quick singles. If you agressively go after quick singles, then could have an increase risk of run outs but also fewer dot balls. This doesn't mean a batter should be on aggressive.

- An option to keep strike without turning down runs. E.g. two batsmen set but one is scoring more quickly so looks to take most of the strike.

Comment

Great ideas overall.

Animations

I'd like to see a few extra animations for drop catches, misfields etc. That way when a catch is dropped, it would look like a good effort and not just another sitter dropped.

Make run outs actually look like run outs, I posted a screenshot in bugs where a batsmen was out of his crease by a good length but was given not out.

Updated shots such as a proper cut shot would be nice rather than the little tap or stick-your-backside-out off side slog. T20 shots would be another great addition as long as they weren't regular shots in FC matches. And then maybe only played often by V.Agg players sometimes by Agg players. Tie it into your 'temperament/personality' idea too maybe? Reverse sweeps should be in all formats though.

The leaving the ball animation and getting hit by a short ball could use also use an update.

Pitch detail that changes throughout a match. This doesn't neccasirly have to show in replays but maybe the cracks and footmarks could show alongside the pitch conditions when clicked on.

The pipe dream would be to have a massive graphics overhaul but even minor graphics changes might be a stretch as I think it's been said before graphics are one of the most expensive things to change in this game.

Backgrounds of venues change depending on time of day and country. Maybe each country has one ground for internationals plus a handful of generics for domestic comps. It's odd playing at very English looking grounds on the subcontinent.

Match Gameplay

Have separate sliders for shot aggression and run aggression. Also to be able to target certain fields such as being aggressive only against short balls when there's a gap or not playing cover drives when there are multiple slips, etc.. Basically anything to add some depth to batting gameplay like you can with bowling.

Simulate innings or rest of match.

Harder difficulty. After you've built a solid squad it's pretty smooth sailing for decades to come.

Hidden weaknesses to promote experimenting with different tactics throughout a series/competition.

Management Gameplay (and stats)

I'll keep asking for adjustable filters until it finally happens. I'd like the option to see the best spinners available without having to scroll down the bottom a massive list when sorting by bowling style and then wading through part timers. Or just wanting somewhat recent results such as most runs vs NSW in the last 5 years.

Influencing what youth players come through. Extra money could be spent to specifically recruit an LF bowler or SLA all rounder. Some player pools struggle to populate certain roles across decades. Very difficult to find more than a couple of spinners in an Aus career.

And might as well have the 'filter few' option customisable since some shorter comps won't reach the 15 wicket minimum often enough to be shown. Or maybe I want just to expand it to minimum 1000 runs or look at well established batsmen to bring into a squad or look for genuine all rounders with 100+ wickets and 1000+ runs etc.

End of year summary for international careers. Leading run scorers, etc for both your team and worldwide.

Career summary that includes how many trophies you win, win/loss ratios against teams, total wins etc.

Change teams, countries what tournaments you're involved with each season (depending on current success). Especially dropping tournaments especially the 100 or retiring from internationals to focus on domestic (and vice versa)

Retirement announcements for international saves.

Make all stats viewable at a time. For example I can't find some Aus T20 team stats when playing the Aus FC comp. Same for viewing records by ground for international venues. For example an Aus partnership record that was broken at Lords will show up on the partnership page and the old record at the MCG will still show up as a ground record. If it were the other way around though, you cannot view it since Lords is an international stadium.

Home and away stats against teams. It's more useful to know how well players perform in India rather than against India when picking a squad.

World Cup stats and records. Throw in WTC records because why not.

Tournament specific career records such as looking at most runs in the BBL or most wickets taken in the IPL.

Combined FC, OD, T20 stats such as total wickets taken in an international career across formats.

Speaking of stats include sortable lists for all stats including maidens/dots, ducks and include stats for 200s, 300s, hat-tricks etc.

This one is a hopeful suggestion more than anything but could the database for stats and rosters be optimised? Some stats take an extremely long time to load or crash the game (eg sort catches for all players). I'm guessing if all international players were made available for selection, it would be a lot of data to chug through to work out asking offers and such. Maybe an optimised database could allow for more records to be saved such series results more than two series prior and top 10 records rather than top 1. Would be handy to have the stats of the previous time you played a team on hand. That being said I have zero idea how feasible this would be in reality.

Other

Women's tournaments and World Cricket League. Not a whole career save, just a tournament.

Scenario builder. It's nice having a select few scenarios with each version but some teams haven't appeared in scenarios in a long time if at all.

Sydney Red in the BBL should be changed to Sydney Pink.

Extra keyboard shortcuts to bring up the change bowler menu, auto play, etc. as well as navigate menus.

Comment

Lots more good ideas!

Especially in regards to conditions given how important conditions are in the IRL game. Can't go wrong with depth there.
        On that note, drop-in pitches that don't deteriorate at all after 5 days

Looking back, I think that the most beneficial idea might be for progression, more for the international saves in 2 (3?) areas. As you progress through the years you should be able to influence the domestic circuit, such as improving youth scouting & training, as well as spectator facilities, training/coaching facilities. This can be tied into results somehow, so nations such as Ireland, if they get good results, can start producing better youth, get better international fixtures (series against India, Aus, or whoever is top in your save). Likewise, poor results and standings could mean a drop in funding, fixture quality. But this would need to be balanced so teams don't get stuck at the bottom. (A boost for bottom teams as well, maybe?)
        Also, you could influence the domestic schedule. Like say if you feel like you're test and fc results are poor, you could abandon the 100, or adjust how the domestic season is balanced. Though, this may be something unlockable after X number of years as an international coach.

Secondly, I've noticed that regens will often not get a domestic contract. So you'd have this regen with a 2ndXI batting average of 60+ or bowling average under 15 and they just languish in no-mans land without a domestic team. Sometimes they will get a t20 team, or go overseas. But often they get nothing and it's a youth player that gets no development. This seems to happen more in nations with a lower number of domestic teams.
        Also, regens overtaking players who are considered good prospects IRL. Like players who are in the current u19s tournament and in CC should have fairly high ceilings (or variable potential). This hasn't been as noticable in this version of the game, though. I feel this happens more in Aus, where due to the low number of high quality teams young players get written off in the game when actually they're growing into the comp and when they get more comfortable their role. A fair few players on in-game lists are better IRL than their in-game reputation they just haven't shown it. So more players should have a variable potential where in some saves they get a chance and take it and turn into quality players and some saves where they drop off their list and are never seen again.
        Sargey, Captain of the Omnipresent Council, Commander of the Omniscient, and Grand Lord of Overbearing Titles.

Comment

can we have some really basic stuff addressed?
          • Why are there barely any left handed regens?
          • Can we have some more modern sounding and multi ethnic names for regens? Fred Savage just isn't a very realistic modern English name.
          • Can Franchise teams in the IPL/Hundred/CPL etc actually recruit foreign players in future seasons? after a few seasons these squads are generally just domestic players only.
          • Can you teach the AI how to manage five man bowling attacking? if the AI has an all rounder in the top 6 and 4 front line bowlers it will only ever use 4 of them.
          • How about player attributes? How are we in 2022 and still don't have basic attributes for players

Basic things like the above need fixing way before cosmetic stuff such as adding more associates which wouldn't actually improve the quality of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by citizenerased View Post
            Basic things like the above need fixing way before cosmetic stuff such as adding more associates which wouldn't actually improve the quality of the game.
            Adding associates wouldn't improve the quality of the game? I really don't know how one could think this way, unless you work for the ECB/CA/BCCI. More associates would mean you could finally play meaningful international matches outside of the world cups, which currently isn't really the case. Take the test championship, for example: win or lose, you're going to be there if you're one if the top nine.

??????Other than that, I have to say I agree with some points, e.g. left-handed regens. Regen names also, and adding to that also find names like Makhaya Boucher very annoying.

What do you mean by attributes though? You've got the ones like aggression, balance, preferred side and so on. What else are you looking for?

Comment

Game is crying out for a ‘window option’ to allow players to take control of either their County/State OR Country when fixtures clash and the same with Challenge games clashing with the 100. A window to choose one over the other.

We all know how painful it is when returning from international duty to suddenly find your missis has selected your County/State team and tactics while you’ve been away and you’ve suddenly lost by an innings and 200 runs! She’s also moved all your Training and Physio slots too for a laugh..

Equally painful is missing that “must win” Challenge or Blast game whilst you’re away, plus having to play that unimportant 100, during the ‘Challenge’ regardless of whether you need to or not (which incidentally carries no prize money so why the hell bother)?!

Why not add a little prize money to the 100 and the equivalent competitions in other countries, this to be used for squad expansion or development, extra coaching slots, or whatever, or to allow the purchase of better players? But just for that team/competition.
              Last edited by Yorkie; 01-26-2022, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chabo272 View Post

Adding associates wouldn't improve the quality of the game? I really don't know how one could think this way, unless you work for the ECB/CA/BCCI. More associates would mean you could finally play meaningful international matches outside of the world cups, which currently isn't really the case. Take the test championship, for example: win or lose, you're going to be there if you're one if the top nine.

??????Other than that, I have to say I agree with some points, e.g. left-handed regens. Regen names also, and adding to that also find names like Makhaya Boucher very annoying.

What do you mean by attributes though? You've got the ones like aggression, balance, preferred side and so on. What else are you looking for?
                that was not meant to be dismissive of associate cricket in the real world. but in ICC, a game with a complete lack of dynamism, they would just be wallpaper. they would never advance beyond associate, their players would never go and get county contacts etc. i don't see what purpose they'd serve. the fortunes and shape of the sport do not fluctuate enough on this game to make them anything other than time wasting whipping boys.

re attributes, i meant more in depth for bowlers/batsman ala football manager. bowlers for instance have zero attributes. no difference between a seamer, swing bowler etc.

conditions actually could be much more in depth. a flattie in india for instance is a world away from a flattie in australia. pace of the wicket and wickets flattening is certainly something that should be taken into account.

sadly so many of these features (like conditions) literally date back to the original 90s games and have never been changed.

Comment

Great post. I've put up a lot of things including most of these over the past three years. One thing I was close to doing was getting the Non-white Curry Cup/Howa Bowl scores published until Facebook blanked me back in December. I'm a "Historical" player so would love to do a 1970s campaign or even a tour of the seven original Test countries.

Comment

Yeah I’m a massive football manager fan albeit I love my cricket more. I completely understand the different budgets and limitations between the two so my suggestions are made with the capabilities of the game.

-would love to see more personality to both players and pitches however that looks.
                    -would love to see the AI not always enforce the follow as this is now unique irl international cricket.
                    -continue to increase the statistical depth, this has been a good improvement in recent games
                    -would love to see a ‘morale’ factor eg player batting out of position isn’t happy, or bloke not getting a game, I guess I would love to see more depth to the contract negations and somewhat more of a challenge to managing a squad.
                    -would love their to be more a storyline involved, eg can be sacked if you aren’t meeting pre determined goals by the club. Their isn’t a sense of risk when playing if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevfromsussex&Oz View Post
                      Great post. I've put up a lot of things including most of these over the past three years. One thing I was close to doing was getting the Non-white Curry Cup/Howa Bowl scores published until Facebook blanked me back in December. I'm a "Historical" player so would love to do a 1970s campaign or even a tour of the seven original Test countries.
                      The dream for a historic mode would be being able to pick an era and just start a career from there. Give players who never really had the chance in real life a proper career, try to mimic some of the most successful teams, overturn some of history's famous results.

Originally posted by citizenerased View Post
                      can we have some really basic stuff addressed?
                      • Can we have some more modern sounding and multi ethnic names for regens? Fred Savage just isn't a very realistic modern English name.
                      Australia seemed to have a more multicultural pool of names in CC21. Definitely have regular Sri Lankan names and the odd Vietnamese name.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilted View Post

Australia seemed to have a more multicultural pool of names in CC21. Definitely have regular Sri Lankan names and the odd Vietnamese name.
                        Honestly the new pool of names for Aus was such an improvement this year!

Another random idea: it would be good to filter stats by division. Mainly for international saves, you can have a guy with a really high average in first class, but if he's in the bottom tier league he might not be international team quality. (or I'm a numpty and there is a way and I've missed it lol)

Comment

Defintely a filter for when you're searching for players. So you can search RF or off spiner. Or when you need a wicketkeeper, you should be able to search on keepers rather than troll through all the batters.

More batting tactics. Attack certain sides of the wicket, go aerial, look for a quick single.

The coaching could be expanded. I've yet to be convinced it does a great deal in the game. Especialy with regards fieliding.

Comment

Originally posted by amacca1234 View Post
                            Defintely a filter for when you're searching for players. So you can search RF or off spiner. Or when you need a wicketkeeper, you should be able to search on keepers rather than troll through all the batters.

More batting tactics. Attack certain sides of the wicket, go aerial, look for a quick single.

The coaching could be expanded. I've yet to be convinced it does a great deal in the game. Especialy with regards fieliding.
                            There is a filter on the ATG page its I just don't know how to work it properly. If I'm searching for batsmen it seems to work (warning some are classed as all-rounders like Basil D'Oliveira but I can live with that). Bowlers are problematic sometimes they are listed by averages other times by type. Usually I work-out a list and go from there.

Comment

Career summary page and overall head-to-head records (W/L/D) for all International sides would give extra incentive to keep playing the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X