Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online FC and test match games

Sureshot

Many users are reluctant to play Test and FC online because whoever wins the toss almost always wins.

I will propose again that I think that the pitch shouldn't deteriorate and weather should remain the same because of the huge advantage of the toss online.

You also don't get to play lots of games so the toss doesn't even itself out.

I don't play online but the varying weather drives me nuts enough offline that I can imagine how frustrating it must be to lose the toss online.

I love cloudy weather as it makes things more interesting than 4-5 days of sun but it's horrible when the forecast shows the first day all heavy clouds, everything clear and sunny after that and you lose the toss.

For online play where rankings are involved, keeping things balanced with the weather sounds like a decent idea to me instead of relying on the luck of the toss.

Comment

I think the issue could be the lower number of matches played rather than the weather and pitch being the issue. A pitch or weather that are constant is really unrealistic and even offline it is harder to force a result in a five day match if the pitch is doing nothing. I would have thought that a flat pitch and good weather every session would lead to lots of high scoring draws.

Personally I find this a positive in the Tests and four day games and tests how well I can play the game, being put in to bat when the first day is overcast I enjoy the challenge of grinding out the runs and then looking at ways to force a win, it also encourages me to balance my team better.

Comment

Isn't this a sympton of real game of cricket rather than the computer game. Most teams will bat first these days. As Shane Waugh said the other week, 'Nine times out of ten I'd bat first. The other time I'd think about and then bat first.'

Comment

Originally posted by amacca1234 View Post
          Isn't this a sympton of real game of cricket rather than the computer game. Most teams will bat first these days. As Shane Waugh said the other week, 'Nine times out of ten I'd bat first. The other time I'd think about and then bat first.'
          I tend to agree. Maybe sometimes on CC when day one is an awesome batting wicket day 2 and 3 become hard to play on too quickly but you need the bad pitches day 4 and 5 to get a result. Unfortunately with cricket in Test matches in real life as long as the teams apply themselves well to the conditions the toss can put you in a winning position or at least a match you shouldn’t lose

Comment

Essentially you only put a team in to bat if the conditions overwhelmingly favour your bowlers. You get green-top pitches that are lethal on day one then turns into a complete road in England but the deterioration of pitches is probably as true to life as the game can get it.

In real life two evenly matched teams are often only separated because of pitch / weather conditions. It is the same in game.

Comment

Originally posted by galvatron View Post
              Sureshot

Many users are reluctant to play Test and FC online because whoever wins the toss almost always wins.

I will propose again that I think that the pitch shouldn't deteriorate and weather should remain the same because of the huge advantage of the toss online.

You also don't get to play lots of games so the toss doesn't even itself out.
              You must like draws...

Comment

I don't think galvatron is calling for every match to be perfectly sunny and flat, that wouldn't be fun for anyone batting to constant draws.

The way I read his proposal is to get rid of the big variance in weather and deterioration though a match, so you don't have the first 3-5 sessions perfectly sunny and flat and then by the time the 2nd team comes in to bat it's cloudy, bouncy and turning all over the place.

I understand that in real life the weather can be quite variable but this is a game and you can understand people being frustrating sitting down hoping for a fun hour or so of an online test match only to find they lose the toss in conditions that massively favour whoever wins and make it practically impossible to have a chance. Is it a surprise that people get fed up and disconnect half way through when that happens?

You could still have tricky conditions but reduce the variation from day to day. For instance, if the 'average' weather for the match is unsettled/partly cloudy you could have a few sessions that go slightly sunnier and some that go slightly cloudier but staying within 1 setting of the mid-point, with most of the sessions being in the middle and something in place to prevent one day being all at the good end and another all at the bad end. That way there's still some tactical decision making in when to attack and when to play safer but you avoid the situations where winning the toss has a massive advantage.

Surely the best test of skill for online play is when conditions are pretty even for both teams? And that can be both teams playing in unsettled weather, it doesn't have to mean sunny.

Similarly with the bounce and pitch you could have the match start slightly red and get a little worse towards the end without an extreme difference of all green for the first innings and then already being half red for the 2nd team coming in to bat.

I think it's the extreme differences especially that can make for bad gameplay in a one-off match. It's a bit different from an offline single player save.
                Last edited by Chris_; 09-17-2021, 01:29 PM.

Comment

While many games are decided by pitch variations... there's often a series of games and the toss can balance out but in a one off game it doesn't.

I think the pitch and conditions should be equal, but they should remain the same for all five days. It has such a bearing on the game.

I've only lost one FC/test online and it was when I won the toss. The other fourish I've played I've won purely cos I won the toss.

Comment

Working...
                  X