Does the captain matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the captain matter?

I've always assumed that the captain you set is important, and put it on a senior/reliable player. After a couple of good first class performances I realised my captain was set to a 19 year old newgen as I'd put him into the spot my usual captain filled when he went off to international duty and I'd forgotten to move the captaincy to someone else.

That got me thinking if the captaincy actually matters or if it's purely a display thing for a bit of roleplay without actually impacting the game. Or if it does make a difference, does age/experience matter or is it down to player ability and form? The newgen was on full 5 star form and played well enough in his debut games, but you'd realistically never make a 19 year old the captain for his first senior matches.

Never really noticed it having any effect.

If it doesn't have an effect already, it would be nice if it did though. A hidden 'leadership' stat that gives minute boosts to form and fielding skills if a player with high leadership skill is captain might be interesting to see in action.

Comment

I will take some convincing that there’s no sort of modifier involved for whoever puts the armband on.

Over several versions and many seasons I’ve seen huge improvements with players who’ve been given captaincy.
      For Club or Country.

No I’m not imagining it.

Reason for resurrecting Chris’ post is that it’s just happened again.

England in Australia, 3 Odi’s / 3 IT20’s. Root, Morgan and Stokes all dropped! So Bairstow given the captaincy on 2 star form simply blows Australia apart. 6 games, 5 moms!

Previous to being given the armband his last 5 scores on 2 stars were 5 0 22 8 19.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie View Post
        I will take some convincing that there’s no sort of modifier involved for whoever puts the armband on.

Over several versions and many seasons I’ve seen huge improvements with players who’ve been given captaincy.
        For Club or Country.
        Interesting. So you see the captaincy as being a boost to the specific player himself rather than whoever is set as captain being an influence on the team as a whole?

Comment

I think the game does a fantastic job of limiting the information you have available so you sometimes end up using your brain to fill in the gaps.

This either makes it look much smarter than it is or it is indeed doing some of these things that we suspect and who knows what else it's up to...

Very clever.

Comment

I would like to have some sort of indicator as to how regens handle leadership. It's a hard concept to translate but it's easy to tell in real life young players who are going to be leaders within a team. They speak well in interviews, they get mentoring, given vice captain opportunities, etc. Those players are the ones who can rally teams together and do a lot of talking on the field too.

Maybe in a future version you could get updates similar to the coaching updates such as "Regen A spoke well in post match interview" or "Regen B was named vice captain of U23 team". A good captain makes a huge difference to a team. Give one of those players the captaincy and there could be a minor improvement in fielding skills across the team. Less dropped catches, misfields, etc. just enough for the occasional breakthrough.

The best, most reliable player doesn't make a good captain. You'd pick Dhoni as captain over Tendulkar every time.

Comment

Chris_ Yes player boost (which could be reflected throughout the team) but not noticed that the same as a player boost.

I normally have 2 saves on the go, Yorkshire and England but play Yorkshire as a stand alone turning down International team offers.

Selected players for the captaincy I believe do have to be at a pretty good standard themselves when given the armband, not form wise, but skill wise, so the boost cannot apply to any Tom, Dick or Harry.
              All through the 18, 19, 20 Yorkshire saves had G. Ballance as capt (no 100 call up either in 20). The man is a run machine, and consistently supported by Lyth and Cadmore. He got injured so gave Lyth the armband and the transformation was instant, ending in First Class highest run scorer. Then later when both injured the same happened to Cadmore.

Also witnessed this with England players, the latest was Bairstow on the 21 version as above. It’s hard to explain or document without providing reams of screenshots and I don’t keep spreadsheets like some but I’ve seen enough to satisfy myself that there is some form of a modifier with the better players.

Comment

I 'Alec Stewarted' my captain and now he is totally useless apart from the odd 50. He's 38, too.

Comment

Working...
                X