Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cricket knowledge

Do you need cricket knowledge to get into the game

Just the basics really, especially if you play on easy mode. Knowing that being aggressive means more runs but more wickets, knowing how many bowlers you need to pick for a match, knowing what a good average is to help pick the best players, etc. will help. If you want to be very successful on normal difficulty, then yes cricket knowledge will help.

Play a couple of custom matches or scenarios to get the gist of things and then you'll be set to go for the most part to start a career on easy. On the easiest difficulty you should do relatively well just by using default teams and hitting autoplay. You'll pick up a lot of knowledge of players and such along the way as you do.

Feel free to ask anything as well, most people here would be happy to answer.

Comment

Yeah I second Wilted’s post. Most of us will help you if you’re new to the game. I was the same at one point.
      You’ll need some basic knowledge, a lot of which you can pick up from the actual forum... you’ll soon become engrossed in what is a truly amazing game.

Comment

Thanks both are there any guides you would recommend

Comment

Try this to start. It’s from the CC2018 forum but still relevant today. It’s a brilliant guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie View Post
            https://childishthings.com/forum/for...ide-to-formats

Try this to start. It’s from the CC2018 forum but still relevant today. It’s a brilliant guide.
            Thank you really helpful

Comment

That guide is great.

I would say that there is a lot in this game for those with cricket knowledge but it isn't a prerequisite. I would think that if you had little knowledge about cricket then playing the game may actually help it develop rather than put you off because while it is not absolutely true to life it is as good as a simulation game is going to get and it can help you work out what is going on with some aspects of the game.

I've found cricket to be one of those sports where it can be hard for people to get into it if they haven't played it. Not saying that people can't, don't or have more knowledge than someone who has played cricket. more that a lot of people who haven't just don't get it while those who have adore it.

Comment

Originally posted by cde View Post
                That guide is great.

I would say that there is a lot in this game for those with cricket knowledge but it isn't a prerequisite. I would think that if you had little knowledge about cricket then playing the game may actually help it develop rather than put you off because while it is not absolutely true to life it is as good as a simulation game is going to get and it can help you work out what is going on with some aspects of the game.

I've found cricket to be one of those sports where it can be hard for people to get into it if they haven't played it. Not saying that people can't, don't or have more knowledge than someone who has played cricket. more that a lot of people who haven't just don't get it while those who have adore it.
                I've played but not watched much

Comment

I found I picked up the stuff I didn't know quite quickly and I enjoy real life cricket more too. I hardly ever watch since it all went off free to air but follow on radio and highlights. Even if I didn't mind paying Sky it would be a waste of money - I simply don't have the time to sit and watch but you can follow on the radio whatever you are doing!

As for the Hundred, I gave it a go but found it a bit wearing since I have an attention span of more than ten seconds, don't like commentators shouting at me and don't need flashing bright colours to engage my interest.

I sound like my Grandfather

Comment

Digressing slightly from the post I’m same as you cde and won’t pay Sky a penny on principal of their greed.

I watched parts of the Hundred, much to the wife’s disdain but don’t even play that competition in game as I just find it a silly distraction with no prize money attached.

I’m now sounding like your Grandfather!

Comment

Likewise. I played a bit of cricket when I was younger and always enjoyed watching England when on tv, but no subscription to any kind of extortionate sky sports package means I don't watch much at all these days.

Picking up Cricket Captain a few years ago (and playing much older versions when they first came out 20 years ago) I found I knew enough about the game to get going and understand everything but it's not like I recognised every name in every team. What I've actually found is that playing CC has increased my knowledge of cricket itself, as I've found myself looking things up and reading a lot of articles to understand certain parts of the game more.

Anyone who knows you hit the small round thing with the flat wood thing before the small round thing hits the three wood things knows enough to start playing CC. Knowing the difference between each bowling type is obviously a plus, but it's something you can pick up from playing. Ultimately I'd say enjoying looking at numbers is a big thing, as a lot of the game comes down to statistics. If it was compared to football games you'd need to like a Football Manager style rather than Fifa.

As for the Hundred, I also don't care for it. I don't play it in-game and just look at it as if my players have gone off to play in the IPL.I actually really enjoy the 50 over One Day format as it's much more tactical than T20 where it feels like you hit it as hard as you can and hope for the best. Although losing 11+ players to the Hundred is still annoying, at least it gives fringe players a chance to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_ View Post
                        Anyone who knows you hit the small round thing with the flat wood thing before the small round thing hits the three wood things knows enough to start playing CC.
                        My wife has been to numerous matches, watched me play and suffered days of enforced TMS listening over the years.

A good 15 years after she first watched a cricket match she suddenly said "Oh! The batsman and the thrower are on different teams! That makes more sense!"

Comment

Originally posted by gazdadude View Post
                          Do you need cricket knowledge to get into the game
                          You don't need to be a military historian to get into fps games, same applies here. If you like the analytical and tactical aspects of cricket, then you will like this game. Simples

Comment

Working...
                          X