T20 struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cde View Post

One of the great things about the game is that there are multiple ways to play and win - just like in real life.

Well, just one way - to score more runs but you know what I mean!

Sounds like a good method. I'm very prescriptive but as I've mentioned before I'm lazy and get bored of the T20s quite quickly. As long as my method reliably gets me to the knock out stage I can't be doing with anything that slows it down too much. However once I get to the knockout stages I'm giving your method a try.

Who is that success rate with? International or domestic side and how many years in? Just interested
    Oh it's a very limited sample, hence why the first times I posted about it I noted I'm definitely not claiming it's foolproof! I'm still only in my first season on this edition (see my 'How fast do you play?' thread – it takes me a while to get through games!), but played a T20 World Cup tournament with England to have a look at the format, and in my career save I play as my beloved Yorkshire, so fairly strong sides, but as I've said before, in previous editions I've really, really struggled with T20 even when playing with teams that on paper look very good.

Can only echo what others are saying about the randomness of T20 though and how that's true to life. I played a couple of games last night, in the first I bowled Worcestershire out for 43 and knocked off the runs in 6 overs, but in the next game against Durham, Cameron Bancroft absolutely killed me (hit 98 at a strike rate comfortably over 200, second time in the same season he's destroyed me!) as they made 200 and I didn't get anywhere near it. What can you do – that's the game!

Comment

Originally posted by galvatron View Post
      I am saying that it almost never works. I don't understand how it's that hard to get my argument.
      Because it does work reasonably often. I've even chucked you a couple screens from the same match as an example previously.

Comment

Honestly batsman coming in and hitting first ball for a six is extremely rare and often when a batsman starts hitting from ball 1. About 90 percent of the time they fail.

Comment

I've just had Marchant de Lange, a bowler no less club 20 off 5 balls including 2 6s and 2 4s. In fact Tom Abell hit a 6 off his first ball of the innings as well.

I don't know what you guys are doing wrong but scoring fast from ball 1 is emminently doable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210803-105259.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	76658
          Last edited by Lynx54321; 08-03-2021, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by galvatron View Post

I watched Tom Moores hit his first ball for 6 on live TV yesterday! Here is the video at the correct moment it happened. https://youtu.be/y8oiDOSRh8M?t=314ht...iDOSRh8M?t=314

I remembered that De Qock also hit his first ball for 6 last week: https://youtu.be/NSfadD_Qgmg?t=536 I can't be bothered to look through all the IPL and 100 commentaries to point out all of the times that people have came in and smashed it around.

Many players do come in and hit boundaries from the off regularly, that's why the likes of Warner, De Kock, Pollard, Pandya, Pant etc cost a fortune in the IPL draft.

I would also point to this wonderful CricViz article about Eoin Morgan: https://www.cricviz.com/eoin-morgans-transformation/

Where they say about him: 'he is delivering big runs on a REGULAR basis (his average, strike-rate and six hitting rate are all at their peak.)

Modern batsmen do come out and hit boundaries from the off and it was regularly possible on Cricket Captain 2020.

I do not expect all batsmen to be able to hit the ball for boundaries instantly. I expect it to work sometimes.

I am saying that it almost never works. I don't understand how it's that hard to get my argument.
            I know where you are coming from, in an ODI in 2020 version if you were 2 down with 10 overs to go on a decent track you could expect most times to have a pretty big last 10 by having all the batters come in and go straight to 1 from the top aggression and then top aggression for anyone set in the last 2-3 overs. I think most times in real life you would expect a big last ten in that scenario too. In the 2021 version that tactic usually seems to end up with a 7-50 type collapse with loads of first ball dismissals.

Same sort of thing in the T20 powerplay if you try and go hard up front more often than not I end up 30-6 whereas the 2020 version that had a higher chance of coming off

Comment

Tom Banton, 2 6s in his first over and a fine innings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210803-110051.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	76660

Comment

Originally posted by TomP View Post

I know where you are coming from, in an ODI in 2020 version if you were 2 down with 10 overs to go on a decent track you could expect most times to have a pretty big last 10 by having all the batters come in and go straight to 1 from the top aggression and then top aggression for anyone set in the last 2-3 overs. I think most times in real life you would expect a big last ten in that scenario too. In the 2021 version that tactic usually seems to end up with a 7-50 type collapse with loads of first ball dismissals.

Same sort of thing in the T20 powerplay if you try and go hard up front more often than not I end up 30-6 whereas the 2020 version that had a higher chance of coming off
                I think this is the problem you are having. The game no longer rewards such a formulaic approach to batting. You have to look at the E.RPO and adapt to the situation appropriately. Just as in real life you don't get a big score by asking your batters to slog for 60 balls in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post

I think this is the problem you are having. The game no longer rewards such a formulaic approach to batting. You have to look at the E.RPO and adapt to the situation appropriately. Just as in real life you don't get a big score by asking your batters to slog for 60 balls in a row.
                  100% This. The game doesn't follow as much of a set pattern as previously. Patterns and tactics that may have worked over previous games don't apply as much now because the game itself has shifted and is much more fluid/harder to predict.
                  Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post

Yep I think you are right, playing ball by ball is helping too, as is giving new batters 2 or 3 balls on a lower aggression even in the last 5 overs (in the 20 min sample of trying it since I last posted haha)

Comment

Yep I think you are right, playing ball by ball is helping too, as is giving new batters 2 or 3 balls on a lower aggression even in the last 5 overs (in the 20 min sample of trying it since I last posted haha)
                      Haha another tip I'll give you is that you're very aggressive batters can score quickly at lower aggression settings than what I was used to in the last version.

Comment

If I lose a wicket in T20s, I tend to try give the new batsman a couple of balls to settle before upping the aggression - helps a little bit
                        Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

Almost as if they wanted to chip in on this discussion and demonstrate how hard it is sometimes to score big from the get-go, in the (real life) 50 over cup this morning Yorkshire lost 2 wickets in the first 4 balls of the match against Warwickshire!

Comment

There is some really interesting feedback in here, I will give the feedback to Chris from galvatron to see what he says. I should be able to give his reply in here at the weekend.

My own point to Chris I want to raise is what % of AI pitches would be non-batsman friendly, that balance might not be right for 20 Overs. There's some bowler friendly pitches in 20 overs in real life, but I don't think they are as common as bowler friendly FC matches.

There are some other variations compared to the real world, all grounds in Cricket Captain have one dimension, no 50m boundaries!

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
                              There is some really interesting feedback in here, I will give the feedback to Chris from galvatron to see what he says. I should be able to give his reply in here at the weekend.

My own point to Chris I want to raise is what % of AI pitches would be non-batsman friendly, that balance might not be right for 20 Overs. There's some bowler friendly pitches in 20 overs in real life, but I don't think they are as common as bowler friendly FC matches.

There are some other variations compared to the real world, all grounds in Cricket Captain have one dimension, no 50m boundaries!
                              That sounds like an interesting opportunity for development. It would be great for Old Trafford to feel very different to Taunton.

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post

That’s a great point especially playing in England all pitches seem either bowler friendly or bad weather. We do have some sun in summer

Comment

Working...
                                X