Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post, although I would say that in my experience I would disagree a little about OD games. While in real life building a base and exploding at the end can work very well, playing to that plan in ICC can be very risky. I generally start off at 5 bars of aggression and move up to 6 bars when a good batsman is settled, although obviously adjust depending on the situation. I've found this works better than starting on lower aggression, where players just seem to get bogged down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexual View Post
      Great post, although I would say that in my experience I would disagree a little about OD games. While in real life building a base and exploding at the end can work very well, playing to that plan in ICC can be very risky. I generally start off at 5 bars of aggression and move up to 6 bars when a good batsman is settled, although obviously adjust depending on the situation. I've found this works better than starting on lower aggression, where players just seem to get bogged down.
      It also depends on what you are chasing.

If you are already needing 300 then you'd need to start at 6 bars to avoid the RRR creeping past 6.5 in a short space of time.
      I'm still not great at posting a score so always prefer chasing having just about learnt sufficient from experience and also new great threads like this one.

Comment

That's right, I personally start on 5 to build the base and not 4 as the conventional wisdom is, but then I'm also more likely to tweak things if they go wrong. Most/some newbies won't identify when they need to do this. I believe the plan I used to stick with in the previous versions were;

5 to start with one batsman (whoever is more settled) moving onto 6. Then I watch the rates and match situation and up the aggression if need be, with the focus on exploding as the final overs come in. That usually hit me around 300 on the old engine, which was fine. In theory you should be able to do more with the new engine and aggressiveness.

Originally posted by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog View Post
        It also depends on what you are chasing.

If you are already needing 300 then you'd need to start at 6 bars to avoid the RRR creeping past 6.5 in a short space of time.
        I'm still not great at posting a score so always prefer chasing having just about learnt sufficient from experience and also new great threads like this one.
        The one thing to watch for when chasing is the scoreboard pressure, it can be too easy to lose wickets far too quickly if you're chasing. Personally I allow the run rate to fluctuate up towards around 7 an over, on the proviso that there will be an 'explosive' end. Any higher than that is likely to let the game run away.

Comment

I also don't leave things towards the end overs! Every batsman of mine starts with 5 bars aggression! When they are half settled, I increase it by 1 bar to 6! And when they are fully settled I put the aggression to maximum regardless of the overs left etc! Works very well for me!

I have been playing with Pakistan team! And currently at 3 in the ODI rankings!

Comment

Great original post. Thank you.

I have trouble pacing the four day county games. Best I can do it a draw. Does the team improve after X amount of seasons? My first season was dire!! I've now signed Jimmy Anderson and Michell Starc and I'm still struggling.
            Should I expect a bad first season?

Also how much does the training effect a player screen?
            Last edited by TangoCharlie; 09-22-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RVallant View Post
              Your two opening bowlers should usually open at 4-5 aggression at the off stump (middle setting).
              Not outside off stump?
              What length is best? Mid?

Thanks for your post, very useful!

Comment

Originally posted by TangoCharlie View Post
                Not outside off stump?
                What length is best? Mid?
                I have always assumed the midden option to be the off-4th stump line. You'll probably want to stick to this line mostly in FC cricket, combined with a good length. I sometimes drop the ball short if I'm bowling to a front foot loving batsman on an unevenly bouncing pitch (with a quality fast bowler)

If a batsman gets settled I sometimes try a couple of overs where I vary the length - mainly giving them the length they don't prefer - I vary the field accordingly, eg long on and long off if I'm pitching it up to a very well settled batsman. If that fails, I set a defensive field and give them a line they don't like (can be risky against quality batsmen, as they will probably lap up leg stump balls, even if they prefer the offside). Defensive cover is required! I don't like bowling different lines or lengths unless the bowler is high quality and accurate.

Generally though line and length is best most of the time I think.
                Last edited by Graham_5000; 02-18-2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X