Here we come! A SURREY story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we come! A SURREY story...

Hello, guys its nice reading all the stories here. So, I decided to write a story of my own with Surrey. This is my first story for ICC as I am new to the game franchisee.

The history of Surrey County Cricket Club and The Oval cricket ground is in itself a history of the game in this country.
    Formed in 1845 at the Horns Tavern in Kennington, Surrey CCC have won the County Championship nineteen times – including a record seven consecutive titles from 1952 to 1958 – and have also won eight trophies in limited overs cricket – including the inaugural Twenty20 Cup in 2003.
    The home county of many of the greatest players to ever play the game – including Sir Jack Hobbs, Jim Laker, Peter May, Sir Alec Bedser, Alec Stewart, Graham Thorpe and Mark Butcher – Surrey CCC is one of the most historic sports clubs in the country.

In cricketing terms, the ground hosted the first ever Test Match in England in 1880 and was the place the Ashes were created in 1882. In the twentieth century, 1938 saw Sir Len Hutton hit the highest ever Test Match score by an Englishman at The Oval before, ten years later, the great Sir Donald Bradman played his last ever innings at the ground, memorably just failing to score the four runs he required for a Test Match average of 100.
    Later in the century the ground became a home from home for the all conquering West Indies teams of the 1970s and 1980s, with Michael Holding taking 8/92 in 1976 and Sir Vivian Richards hitting 291 in same match.

Rivalry with Middlesex
    Surrey contest the London Derby with Middlesex County Cricket Club, so-called because of the traditional counties' proximity to and overlap with today's Greater London, which was only created in 1965. The match generally draws the biggest crowds of the season for either team

As, I move further with my story, I will make u familiar with more stats, and history about this wonderful club.

For the current season, this is my squad :
    Openers : A Harinath, D Sibley, G Smith*
    Batsmen : H Amla*, K Pieterson, J Roy, V Solanki,
    All Rounders : Z Ansari, A Mahmood, T Curran, T Jewell, A Kapali, K O'Brien, R Peterson**, J Winslade
    WKs : S Davies, T Dilshan, G Wilson, R Burns
    Pace : J Dernbach, M Dunn, G Edwards, T Linley, S Meaker, C Tremlett
    Spin : G Batty, F vander Berg, C Metters

We have a very balanced squad with good substitute players. As we did not have a good 2nd spinner, we decided to sign promising 23 yr old SLA C Metters for 33,500. The club directors have made it clear that any under performing players will be left out for next season as they plan to trim the squad size and have less but better players in the side.

Season objectives :-
    We aim to get promotion from Division 2 this season. Also, we would like to qualify to knockouts of both t20 and Challenger trophy.
Working...
X