X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge Trophy
    Glamorgan v Hampshire

Glamorgan
    D. Lloyd, N. Madden, C. Ingram, B. Root, K. Carlson, C. Cooke, D. Douthwaite, J. Cooke, M. Neser, M. Hogan, R. Spode

Hampshire
    N. Gubbins, I. Holland, H. Finch, B. Brown, N. Donald, B. Atkin, L. McManus, K. Abbot, J. Turner, S. Currie, M. Abbas

Hampshire 133
    Glamorgan 134-6

Match won by 4 wickets

One bar seam, no spin, put them in to bat first.

They make a decent start but then Neser takes three wickets for just ten points, Brown and Atkin build a partnership but Atkin and McManus are seen off by Neser when he returns. We clear through the rest of the wickets with ease. Neser hits high form 6 wickets for 34 runs.

Abbot and Abbas quickly get us to 29-3, then 59-4 but 133 is never going to be defendable and we walk it in.

Fourth match where I have bowled them for under 155. Too easy.

Comment

Challenge Trophy
      Worcestershire v Glamorgan

Worcestershire
      M. Fanning, A. Ali, I. Kishan, J. Haynes, E. Pollock, B. Cox, E. Barnard, J. Leach, J. Tongue, A. Finch, B. Gibbon

Glamorgan
      D. Lloyd, N. Madden, C. Ingram, B. Root, K. Carlson, C. Cooke, D. Douthwaite, J. Cooke, M. Neser, M. Hogan, R. Spode

Worcestershire 237-9
      Glamorgan 240-5

Match won by 4 wickets

Dead flat, they choose to bat first.

They make a slow but slow but steady start – Hogan’s first five overs go for just 6 runs - and get themselves to 168-3, a strong platform but as they attempt to push on Hogan rattles through them, including two in the last over to hold them to a perfectly straight forward score to chase down.

Lloyd is out for four but Madden holds it all together, first with Ingram who scores a run-a-ball 50 then a 139 run partnership with Chris Cooke, on his way to a maiden OD century with five overs to spare.

Comment

Challenge Trophy Semi-Final
        Glamorgan v Surrey

Glamorgan

Surrey
        H. Amla, R. Patel, F. Kerr, J. Smith, N. Reifer, C. de Grandhomme, C. Steel, J. Clarke, C. McKerr, A. Vridi, M. Dunn

Glamorgan 313-7
        Surrey 177

Match won by 136 runs

Knock out phase so anything can happen but what I’m expecting to happen is me winning easily. Pitch is our old friend, one bar seam, no spin, they win the toss and put me in to bat.

Madden leads with another century, backed up with 61 off 55 from Root and propelled past 300 by a 28 ball 40 from Douthwaite. Game is won.

The first wicket costs 50 runs but then so do the next four. Game over.

Too, too easy.

Comment

County Championship
          Glamorgan v Worcestershire

Glamorgan
          D. Lloyd, E. Byrom, N. Madden, C. Ingram, C. Cooke, K. Carlson, D. Douthwaite, M. Neser, M. Hogan, T. van der Gugten, R. Spode

Worcestershire
          M. Fanning, I. Kishan, B. D’Oliviera, E. Stoddart, J. Haynes, B. Cox, E. Barnard, J. Leach, C. Morris, J. Tongue, B. Gibbon

Glamorgan 227 & 298
          Worcestershire 324 & 118

Match won by 83 Runs

Top of the table playing second to last, I feel confident. Neither Northeast or Root are looking great so I bump Cooke up and slot in Carlson and Douthwaite. I go for a four-man seam attack again. The pitch is one bar seam, no spin. I win the toss and bat first.

Oh confidence where art thou? The top three make all of 10 runs and if it wasn’t for a battling 94 from 287 balls from Ingram and an equally stubborn 41 from 111 from Douthwaite this would look even worse as Morris and Leach cause us all sorts of problems.

The pitch has barely deteriorated and while we get two fairly cheap wickets Fanning puts on a century and Stoddart 57 to halt our momentum. They never get away from us but we concede a sizable lead.

We work ourselves into a defendable position thanks to 92 and 82 from Lloyd and Ingram and a punchy 40 from Cooke but I have to keep them out for about 50 overs on a pitch with three bar seam and two spin. Like in a OD match.

I treat the start of the run chase like a OD match and get the same result I’ve been getting there – comfortable victory. They try biffing it about and quickly find themselves 98-5 with an hour and a half left. I go on the attack, five bars and an aggressive field. Spode clears them out, taking 4-39.

A good win, there is now very little chance of me not getting promoted.

Comment

County Championship
            Middlesex v Glamorgan

Middlesex
            S. Robson, M. Stoneman, S. Eskinazi, P. Handscomb, J. Simpson, N. Priestley, G. Bates, B. Cullen, S. Afridi, T. Murtagh, E. Bamber

Glamorgan
            D. Lloyd, E. Byrom, N. Madden, C. Ingram, B. Root, C. Cooke, D. Douthwaite, M. Neser, M. Hogan, T. van der Gugten, R. Spode

Glamorgan 415 & 99-0
            Middlesex 203 & 308

Match won by 10 wickets

Middlesex are in 6th place. I should have their number. I bring back a proper middle order batsman. One bar seam, no spin, win the toss and bat first.

Lloyd hits a century, Cooke falls one short, Ingram and Douthwaite hit 50s as we post a strong total with little fuss.

A quick wicket turns to a stubborn partnership between Stoneman and Eskinazi which once broken but once it is broken by Neser they fold easily. Neser finish the innings with 5-58. I enforce the follow-on.

We chip away at the wickets and get them to 88-5 but a great 188-run 562 ball stand. They pull ahead but I have over a session to knock off less than a hundred runs. Easy win.

Promotion is now guaranteed, for better or worse.

Comment

Challenge Trophy Final
              Warwickshire v Glamorgan

Warwickshire
              G. Hankins, A. Davies, S. Hain, D. Sibley, D. Mousley, O. Hackford, W. Rhodes, C. Woakes, M. Johal, O. Stone, L. Norwell

Glamorgan

Warwickshire 128
              Glamorgan 133-3

Match won by 7 wickets

Warwickshire won the T20 trophy but I see no reason to worry here, I am very much on top of the OD matches.

There they go. Hogan and Neser take a wicket each but it is Spode and Cooke who do the damage at first change, 10, 39 runs, 5 wickets. Neser adds another and who comes back from being 83-7 in a one day match? Nobody.

Easy stroll to the finish line.

I’m quite sure that there has never been such a one sided final, this is now the fifth score under 155.

Comment

County Championship
                Glamorgan v Derbyshire

Glamorgan
                D. Lloyd, J. Cooke, N. Madden, C. Ingram, C. Cooke, K. Carlson, D. Douthwaite, M. Neser, M. Hogan, T. van der Gugten, R. Spode

Derbyshire
                S. Masood, M. Wagstaff, W. Madsen, H, Walker, B. Guest, L. du Plooy, L. Reece, G. Scrimshaw, M. Cohen, B. Aitchinson, S. Conners

Glamorgan 319 & 237-3 dec
                Worcestershire 277 & 168

Match won by 111 runs

Byrom is hardly setting the world alight and Cooke is in great form. With promotion secured I give him a shot, expecting little. One bar seam, no spin, I win the toss and bat first.

Fifth ball in Cooke cops a short one from Scrimshaw and is out injured, the bowler backing this up by getting both Lloyd and Madden out to short balls, 11-2 (3). Ingram and Root dig in and put on 140 but when Root falls on 72 Cooke follows for a duck. Doutwaite sticks in with Ingram who falls on 97 then batts brilliantly with the tail to be left stranded on 94 not out and a great total of 319 on the board given the start we had.

We slowly make our way through the wickets. They are eating up balls but not scoring at a snail’s pace. I start to feel for Spode a little, his average is looking poor but he keeps getting dropped too. That’s the fourth in the last three matches that he has had a player dropped.

Wanting to give myself time to bowl them out I put all batsmen in on four bars from the off. Madden fails but half centuries from Lloyd, Cooke and Root sets them 280 to win in two and a quarter session, pitch on two bars both.
                I start on three bars outside off to see if they are going to chase, which they do, so I drop to my OD tactics. They make steady progress but we keep chipping away thanks to Spode. Once Wagstaff is out we wrap them up, Spode finishing with 6-24.

Comment

Working...
                X