X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 Over Trophy
    Glamorgan v Somerset

Glamorgan
    D. Lloyd, J. Cooke, N. Madden, C. Ingram, S. Northeast, C. Cooke, D. Douthwaite, B. Root, T. van der Gugten, M. Hogan. J. McIlroy

Somerset
    M. Renshaw, W. Smeed, R. Rossouw, T. Abell, J. Hildreth, S. Davies, L. Gregory, B. Green, R. van der Merwe, J Davey, N. Leonad

Somerset 90
    Glamorgan 94-1

Match won by 9 wickets

Oh dear. They crushed me first time around but there are some changes to the side so maybe this could be more even. van der Gugten returns so I at least have three front line bowlers at my disposal. One bar of each, I put them in to bat.

van der Gugten fails to take a wicket and I use Cooke as the fourth bowler, Lloyd as the fifth. Cooke takes 4-11 in his four overs as vengeance is mine.

We knock off the runs, no rush, a 50 for Lloyd.

That win sees us climb into 4th place, two above both Gloucs and Sussex, one behind Essex and two behind Hampshire. It’s time for another inexplicably place FC match but I could make the quarters.

Comment

County Championship
      Worcestershire v Glamorgan

Glamorgan
      D. Lloyd, E. Byrom, N. Madden, C. Ingram, S. Northeast, C. Cooke, B. Root, J. Harris, M. Hogan, T, van der Gugten, J. McIlroy

Worcestershire
      I Kishan, T. Cornall, A. Ali, E. Pollock, B. D’Oliveira, J. Haynes, E. Barnard, J. Leach, C. Morris, J. Tongue, B. Gibbon

Glamorgan 479 & 222-4 dec
      Worcestershire 332 & 157

Match won 212 runs

Table ranks start to count at this stage of the season. I’m sitting third, Worcestershire 6th with two less wins than me. They are, hover topping their T20 group. The pitch is flat, one bar seam and with good weather. I win the toss and bat first.

Byrom falls quickly (Surprise!) but Lloyd and Madden put on 83. Lloyd falls on 59 but Madden goes on to his maiden FC century in a 179 run partnership with Ingram, who also hits a century. Cooke adds another 50 to set what should be a winning total.

I get Cornall quickly but Kishan and Ali build a good partnership. Harris dislodges Kishan and after a few biffs Hogan captures Pollock. D’Oliveira hits a good century and Leach a 50 but we take cheap wickets in clumps, leaving us in charge.

I start all the batsmen off on four bars and thanks to 50s from Lloyd and Madden post them 369 on the final day.

Hogan takes another 5-for and van der Gugten three as we mop them up with masses of time and runs to spare.

A strong win, though McIlroy is failing to take wickets in FC cricket in the same way he does in T20s. This takes us to the top of the table, 28 clear of 3rd place Durham. Promotion is on the cards and the knock-out round of T20s is calling.

Comment

20 Over Trophy
        Essex v Glamorgan

Essex
        T. Westley, A. Rossington, D. Lawrence, F. Khushi, A. Wheater, N. Browne, P. Walter, D. Sams, S. Harmer, S. Cook, J. Porter

Glamorgan
        D. Lloyd, J. Cooke, N. Madden, C. Ingram, S. Northeast, C. Cooke, D. Douthwaite, B. Root, T. van der Gugten, M. Hogan. J. McIlroy

Essex 195-4
        Glamorgan 142-7

Match lost by 53 runs

Crunch time. A vital match against a key opponent. A dead flat pitch, they win the toss and bat first.

Rossington and then later in the innings Browne batter my bowlers. They pile on the runs and whatever I try can’t stop it. I am never going to get near that total.

Which I don’t. Cooke hits another 50 but as the RR climbs I push up the aggression and I lose a lot of cheap wickets.

Back to forth place on the same points as Gloucesterhire but behind 0.05 on the Nett RR.

Comment

20 Over Trophy
          Kent v Glamorgan

Kent
          D. Bell-Drummond, B. Compton, J. Leaning, D. Miller, J. Denly, D. Stevens, J. Cox, T. Muyeye, G. Linde, J. Singh, F. Kalaasen

Glamorgan

Essex 146-8
          Glamorgan 88

Match lost by 58

This could still be on. I play 8th placed Kent so feel this is a match I could win.

Hogan is unsualy ineffective and McIlroy expensive but none of their batsmen get on top of us and while 146 has proved to be a difficult total this year it is achievable.

The openers fail, Madden and Ingram start motoring but once the fall only Doutwaite makes it to double figures and I fold for another embarrassing total.

I finish the table 6th, better than last year’s 9th but a real disappointment give the hope I had but two matches previously.

Comment

Youth promotions

I get two youth players this year:

D’Arcy Cheesewright is a average aggression batsman, 2nd XI averages of 29.68, 41.30 and 36. He may be a LO option but his strike rate is so low that to get it up would be the work of a decade.

Roderick Spode is a RMF bowler, averaging 18.84 @ 3.50, 15.33 @ 5.18 and 14.96 @ 8.30. Expensive but a wicket taker, his form is 80% so he could slot into the side tomorrow.

Comment

County Championship
              Glamorgan v Nottinghamshire

Glamorgan
              D. Lloyd, E. Byrom, N. Madden, C. Ingram, S. Northeast, C. Cooke, K. Carlson, J. Harris, M. Hogan, T, van der Gugten, R. Spode

Nottinghamshire
              H. Hameed, B. Slater, J. Blackwood, J. Clarke, J. Burnham, J. Moore, T. Moores, S. Broad, L. Fletcher, J. Ball, D. Paterson

Glamorgan 473-9 dec & 137-2
              Nottinghamshire 401

Match drawn

McIlroy just isn’t taking wickets in FC cricket so I bring in new boy Roderick Spode. Just to prove no much has changed Notts also put in a youth player James Moore.

I win the toss and bat first on a pitch offering little for the bowlers.

Lloyd goes quickly but Byrom and Madden rebuild. Madden is replaced by Ingram and between him and Byrom the pace of the match drops considerably. I bump them up to four bars to little effect. They fall on 93 and 98, taking 510 balls over it. Cooke comes in and punches 161 but the innings has eaten up 171 overs. I need quick wickets.

Hammeed grinds out a century, helped by Clarke and Burnham. I try all sorts of things, short balls, full, around wicket, very aggressive but it neither takes wickets or changes the pace of the match. When I eventually get them out there is less than one session left so I let my batsmen smack it about for a bit to dent their form as much as possible.

Still top of the table.

Comment

County Championship
                Leicestershire v Glamorgan

Leicestershire
                I Kishan, T. Cornall, A. Ali, E. Pollock, B. D’Oliveira, J. Haynes, E. Barnard, J. Leach, C. Morris, J. Tongue, B. Gibbon

Glamorgan
                D. Lloyd, E. Byrom, N. Madden, C. Ingram, S. Northeast, C. Cooke, K. Carlson, M. Neser, M. Hogan, T, van der Gugten, R. Spode

Leicestershire 103 & 305
                Glamorgan 470 -7

Match won by an innings and 62 runs

Neser is back from Australia and in form so replaces the ineffective Harris. The pitch is two bars seam, one spin, and I am asked to bowl.

Between them Hogan, Neser and van der Gugten tear through the batting leaving me with a match that is mine to lose.

Lloyd goes quickly again, Byrom drags along while Madden smashes it about at the other end. Ingram is out for a duck and at 89-4 it looks iffy but Northeast and Madden take us into the lead them a 236 run partnership with Cooke puts us into control, Northeast hitting a career-best 216 and Cooke a century.

I take some quick wickets but get stuck on a brilliant 185 run partnership between Swindells and Rhodes. Once van der Gugten gets Swindells Rhodes fight on with Zadaran before Spode comes from nowhere to take five wickets and finish them off. Spode’s second match and he finishes with 5-98 in the second innins.

This win keeps us at the top of the table, 23 points above 3rd place Nottinghamshire and in a good place before we start the OD cup. As a little bonus Carlson has improved his batting technique.

Comment

OD Team

With no players away at the H*****d and already holding the trophy I think we can at least reach the semi-finals and I wouldn’t be surprised if we win it.

I am missing a few big players from last season, not least in the openers but the winning side from last year is mostly there. I’m going to go for the T20 top four – Lloyd, Cooke, Madden and Ingram. Going by averages I’m then going to run with Root, Cooke, Douthwaite and Carlson. The bowling attack is going to led by Hogan and Spode. Gorvin could be a good OD player judging by his 2nd XI averages so he fits in too. Cooke is a genuine all-rounder in this format and will be a key player. None of the spinners are worth trying really.

Comment

Challenge Trophy
                    Derbyshire v Glamorgan

Glamorgan
                    D. Lloyd, J. Cooke, N. Madden, C. Ingram, B. Root, C. Cooke, D. Douthwaite, K. Carlson, A. Gorvin, M. Hogan, R. Spode

Derbyshire
                    S. Masood, M. Wagstaff, L. du Plooy, H. Walker, B. Godleman, B. Guest, A. Dal, A. Thompson, M. Watt, G. Scrimshaw, S. Lakman

Glamorgan 300-8
                    Leicestershire 277

Match won by 23 runs

One bar seam, no spin.

I start off on four bars, get the openers four overs in then up to five. All players start on five and move on up as they get more settled. Half centuries for both Cookes, Madden, and an unbeaten 42 from Douthwaite take us to a pleasingly good total.

I bowl in a standard pattern, 10 overs from bowlers 1 &2, 10 from 3&4, 10 from 5&2, 10 from 3&4, 10 from 5&1. I go with this and they struggle to keep the run rate up. Douthwaite comes in as the fifth bowler and gets hammered. For the last 10 I use Ingram instead, who take 3-27.

A good win.

Comment

Challenge Trophy
                      Glamorgan v Kent

Glamorgan
                      D. Lloyd, J. Cooke, N. Madden, C. Ingram, B. Root, K. Carlson, C. Cooke, M. Neser, A. Gorvin, M. Hogan, R. Spode

Kent
                      B. Compton, C. Ash, J. Denly, O. Robinson, T. Muyeye, D. Stevens, A. Blake, G. Linde, M. Henry, J. Singh, N. Gilchrist

Kent 265
                      Glamorgan 252

Match won by 23 runs

I bring in Neser for Douthwaite and move Carlson up the order.

Neser makes a great impact, taking 4-55 in his ten overs but Gorvin and Ingram are beaten like a bowl of cream, new youth player Chris Ash smashing 107 from 84 balls to take them to a decent total. After the last match it should be within reach.

60s from Joe Cooke and Carslon but too many low scores from the batsmen sees us fall just short thanks to a brilliant display from Nathan Gilchrist to take 6-26 off 6.2 overs.

Disappointing. Gorvin is going to have to go.

Comment

Challenge Trophy
                        Glamorgan v Yorkshire

Glamorgan
                        D. Lloyd, N. Madden, C. Ingram, S. Northeast, K. Carlson, C. Cooke, D. Douthwaite, J. Cooke, M. Neser, M. Hogan, R. Spode

Yorkshire
                        W. Fraine, G. Hill, W. Luxton, J. Ellery, G. Balance, J. Tattersall, M. Waite, D. Bess, B. Coad, H Rauf, J. Sullivan

Yorkshire 105
                        Glamorgan 108-1

Match won by 9 wickets

I shuffle the team. Root isn’t offering much so in comes Northeast. I drop Joe Cooke down the order, I need to kick on quicker at the top of the order. One bar seam, no spin, I put them in to bat.

We cut them down like wheat. The bowling attack just clicks.

Madden falls for 50 but we stroll to the win in 21 overs.

Comment

Challenge Trophy
                          Northamptonshire v Glamorgan

Northamptonshire
                          R. McGregor, R. Vasconcelos, R. Martin, W. Young, B. Curran, R. Keogh, T. Taylor, S. Zaib, M. Kelly, G. White, B. Sanderson

Glamorgan
                          D. Lloyd, N. Madden, C. Ingram, S. Northeast, K. Carlson, C. Cooke, D. Douthwaite, J. Cooke, M. Neser, M. Hogan, R. Spode

Northamptonshire 103
                          Glamorgan 106-2

Match won by 8 wickets

One bar seam, no spin, I put them in to bat.

We cut them down like wheat. Have I said that before?

48no for Madden, easy chase.

Comment

Challenge Trophy
                            Essex v Glamorgan

Essex
                            A Cook, T. Westley, C. Astle, F. Khushi, N. Brone, A. Wheater, B. Allison, S. Snater, M. Steketee, N. Lakashan, J. Porter

Glamorgan

Essex 241
                            Glamorgan 242-6

Match won by 4 wickets

One bar seam, no spin, they choose to bat first

Less scything going on. Khushi and Brone take us for 93 and 62 respecively. Douthwaite and Ingram go for loads of runs but Cooke takes 3-39 in his ten overs.

The innings is finished off with an unbeaten 58 from Chris Cooke, small scores but decent partnerships from all the batsmen.

Comment

Challenge Trophy
                              Essex v Glamorgan

Essex
                              A Cook, T. Westley, C. Astle, F. Khushi, N. Brone, A. Wheater, B. Allison, S. Snater, M. Steketee, N. Lakashan, J. Porter

Glamorgan

Essex 241
                              Glamorgan 242-6

Match won by 4 wickets

One bar seam, no spin, they choose to bat first

Less scything going on. Khushi and Brone take us for 93 and 62 respecively. Douthwaite and Ingram go for loads of runs but Cooke takes 3-39 in his ten overs.

The innings is finished off with an unbeaten 58 from Chris Cooke, small scores but decent partnerships from all the batsmen.

Comment

Challenge Trophy
                                Glamorgan v Leicstershire

Glamorgan
                                D. Lloyd, N. Madden, C. Ingram, B. Root, K. Carlson, C. Cooke, D. Douthwaite, J. Cooke, M. Neser, M. Hogan, R. Spode

Leicstershire
                                K. Jennings, R. Ravindra, S. Croft, H. Howells, D. Vilas, J. Bohannon, D. Lamb, T. Ratcliffe, G. Balderson, L. Hurt, T. Bailey

Lancashire 155
                                Glamorgan 156-2

Match won by 8 wickets

Northeast is struggling, I bring in Root. One bar seam, one spin, put them in to bat first.

Hogan takes one opener in the first over, Spode the other next over, and they never recover. We bowl them out with a ball to spare but the key is how little we gave away, their top scorer Vilas takes 93 balls to reach 42.

We cruise gently to another easy win. The third match this season where I kept the opposition below 160.

Comment

Working...
                                X