Toss coding query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toss coding query

Had a random issue recently where my game crashed a few times & each time I loaded, I simmed a couple of days, got into a match & I lost the toss and was put in to bowl (nothing unusual)… but I was curious, so I quit and reloaded maybe 20 times & every time regardless of whether I select heads or tails I lost the toss & am asked to bowl…. so my question is, is the toss coded to be random and I am just the unluckiest person in the world, or behind the scenes has the coding already decided if I’m winning or losing the toss well before I even get to the coin toss screen?

Sureshot will answer your query and that answer will be that the ‘toss result’ is randomly generated, so it seems you have had extremely bad luck (which does happen).

I record every ‘toss result’ for every game, have done so for season upon season and I’m now at a point where I can second guess ‘heads or tails’ and win around 90% of tosses.
    Players will say it’s not possible (if random generated) but I have noticed, looking back through my extensive records, a pattern which I now follow.
    For info I’ve also had ‘heads’ correct 7 times in a row and ‘tails’ correct a staggering 9 times in a row!

Comment

It's just a 50/50 chance when you press Heads or Tails, obviously there's then probability.

Like in real life, I only ever choose tails.

Comment

Why would the devs code anything more complex than a simple 50/50 chance for the toss?

"We've limited dev time and resources but I'd like to invest in a complex algorithm for the toss to reward those who can pick out the pattern over many years" - Chris Child.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post
          Why would the devs code anything more complex than a simple 50/50 chance for the toss?

"We've limited dev time and resources but I'd like to invest in a complex algorithm for the toss to reward those who can pick out the pattern over many years" - Chris Child.
          I wasn’t suggesting it was done to be more complex, more that if the game handled knowing whether the user was batting or bowling long prior to the toss screen, but I must have just got unlucky or more likely hit a non invasive bug (I probably tried 40 odd times in the end with the same result…. But I can’t replicate it doing the same again)

Comment

benj_2904 I got your reasoning that’s why I tried to answer your query. I’m on IOS too so can’t comment on gameplay as of yet but looking forward to the big day!

Back to the toss, maybe ‘tails never fails‘ might help you out? Tails is correct around 58% Heads 42%, well at least in all my 12 years of saves.

Comment

Originally posted by benj_2904 View Post
              Had a random issue recently where my game crashed a few times & each time I loaded, I simmed a couple of days, got into a match & I lost the toss and was put in to bowl (nothing unusual)… but I was curious, so I quit and reloaded maybe 20 times & every time regardless of whether I select heads or tails I lost the toss & am asked to bowl…. so my question is, is the toss coded to be random and I am just the unluckiest person in the world, or behind the scenes has the coding already decided if I’m winning or losing the toss well before I even get to the coin toss screen?Or I should install employee monitoring
              Almost 20 times? You must be the unluckiest person I have ever meet. If the toss is random, for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post

What exactly do you think a "simple 50/50 chance" for the toss would mean? Always heads, tails, heads, tails, heads, tails? That would be exactly a 50/50 chance, but it wouldn't be very difficult to reverse-engineer.

So, absolutely, they will be using a complex algorithm for the toss (though I doubt the devs would have coded the algorithm themselves, when there are excellent free implementations available). Computers are not random and they cannot create any kind of true randomness. You need a complex algorithm to make a computer appear to behave randomly, when actually it isn't random at all.

So benj_2904's question is perfectly valid. The probability of losing 20 tosses in a row by pure bad luck is less than 1 in a million, so I would be asking the exact same question if I saw that.

Comment

Originally posted by weetabixharry View Post

What exactly do you think a "simple 50/50 chance" for the toss would mean? Always heads, tails, heads, tails, heads, tails? That would be exactly a 50/50 chance, but it wouldn't be very difficult to reverse-engineer.

So, absolutely, they will be using a complex algorithm for the toss (though I doubt the devs would have coded the algorithm themselves, when there are excellent free implementations available). Computers are not random and they cannot create any kind of true randomness. You need a complex algorithm to make a computer appear to behave randomly, when actually it isn't random at all.

So benj_2904's question is perfectly valid. The probability of losing 20 tosses in a row by pure bad luck is less than 1 in a million, so I would be asking the exact same question if I saw that.
                  Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                  X