Second innings struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second innings struggles

Does anyone else find they struggle bowling in First Class games in the second innings, particularly after enforcing the follow on? I feel like quite often when I bat first and post a good score, then bowl out the opposition with a low enough score to trigger the follow-on option and choose to enforce it, the opposition come out all guns blazing in their second innings and I often struggle to stem the flow of runs and to bowl them out. In my current English County Championship season, for example, I've already had two games where I've enforced the follow on - in the first, I simply could not bowl the opposition out in their second innings, despite having more than a day to do so and the pitch conditions being unfavourable to batting, and so came out with a draw from a match that should really have been a big win; and in the second, in similar conditions, I did manage to bowl them out second time round but they'd scored so big and so quick that I needed to chase 150 myself on the last afternoon to win the game (which eventually I did manage to, scoring the winning run off literally the last ball of the match! Again, it should really have been a much more comfortable win).

Does anyone else experience these difficulties, and do you have any tips and tactics for second-innings bowling in games where you are well on top from the first innings to ensure you close out the victory?

I rarely enforce the follow on for these reasons. The opposition usually makes a huge comeback.

Especially in test cricket, it's just not worth it unless you're running out of time.

Comment

Yeah I don't tend to enforce it if I've got say two full days to spare. If you've got five sessions or fewer it does seem more logical to enforce it, but I then really struggle to press home the advantage.

Comment

Seems to happen too often in this version, whereas in cc18 you could rightly close out a game most of the time having chosen the advantage of the follow on.
        Looking at it the other way you could say the opposition are fighting tooth and nail to get back into the game, but it’s unrealistic most of the time.

Comment

I very seldom enforce the follow on for the same reason and have always found it to be the same whichever version I've played. If I do have to enforce the follow on tgrough time constraints I find that kicking off the bowling on 3 bars can work better than on the more aggressive setting I usually start with.

With good bowlers it seems to strike a balance between risk and reward that can work better in that situation. Once I have made some headway and they close up I go more aggressive.

Doesn't always work but more often than not...

Comment

Interesting, I'll give that a go. I usually start with my quickest bowler on 5 bars and the other guy on 4.

Comment

First innings I always kick off with both the opening bowlers on 4 with a fairly aggressive field. If I have a fast bowler at the top of his game on a bouncy pitch I shift him up to 5 but if the ball is swinging I find 4 to be a bit more effective.

Second inning is far more variable but if the follow on has been enforced it can get a bit harder. You know how it is when it happens to you, if you are only just behind then you can build yourself into the innings, helped by aggressive bowling. I find that if I can get a partnership to ride the inital wave then I can up the batsman's aggression and maybe even drag myself in front.

I also find that if a batsman goes for me then going defensive with the bowling and drying him up can force the wicket even if time is an issue - I can always attack the lower order once I get them out

Comment

I had a game yesterday where I was batting second, but came out of the first innings with a lead of just over 200 and 4.5 sessions left to bowl the opposition out to win on a very uneven pitch. I tried hovering around 3 bars this time, but like in a follow-on situation the oppo's strongest batsmen really went for it, despite the match situation. Try as I might, I couldn't put them away, and ultimately they batted out the full 4.5 sessions for the draw (I had them 9 down by the end). So frustrating!

Starting to wonder if maybe my bowling attack just isn't that great this season, as it's not like I've never won games before. In fact, I finished 2nd in the Championship in my first season in this edition, but am way off the pace in this second season (actually need to make sure I pick up a win or two in my last few games to keep away from the relegation places), despite on paper having what I believe is a stronger bowling attack. Maybe just a case of second season syndrome, as well as second innings syndrome!

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1K View Post
                  I had a game yesterday where I was batting second, but came out of the first innings with a lead of just over 200 and 4.5 sessions left to bowl the opposition out to win on a very uneven pitch. I tried hovering around 3 bars this time, but like in a follow-on situation the oppo's strongest batsmen really went for it, despite the match situation. Try as I might, I couldn't put them away, and ultimately they batted out the full 4.5 sessions for the draw (I had them 9 down by the end). So frustrating!

Starting to wonder if maybe my bowling attack just isn't that great this season, as it's not like I've never won games before. In fact, I finished 2nd in the Championship in my first season in this edition, but am way off the pace in this second season (actually need to make sure I pick up a win or two in my last few games to keep away from the relegation places), despite on paper having what I believe is a stronger bowling attack. Maybe just a case of second season syndrome, as well as second innings syndrome!
                  Who were you playing? I find that some of the teams with really attacking batsmen almost always go for it, no matter the match situation. You are possibly right about the bowlers, maybe their form is dipping a little? I've had this too, seasons where I sign up what can be on paper a stronger attack but then find I can't force the wickets.

If a batsman gets after me in the 2nd innings I always switch to my LO tactics and dry them up. More often than not it forces the wicket. In that situation I would attack on 3 bars to start with and if they reach 20, or if they set off at pace, I drop to my LO tactics in a bid to halt their momentum. It may seem counter intuitive but I find it works. Not 100% but then what does?

Comment

I was playing that horrible red rose mob from the other side of the hills, who do indeed have quite a few attacking bats in their team, like Liam Livingstone, who can be an absolute nightmare in this game if you don't get him out quickly.

Comment

Working...
                    X