Nightwatchmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightwatchmen

I think it might be useful to have (as a batting option) a Nightwatchman feature. Sure, you can set the tailender to farm the strike, but the problem is you'd want him to stonewall as well. Setting him defensively will mean he won't look for a single to take the strike at the end of the over. Thoughts?

It's a good idea and something I'd like to see the AI using too.

Comment

I'm never sure about that strike-farming feature in the game - I'd be interested to know how other people apply it in terms of what they set the batsman's aggression to while using it, etc.

I generally use it when I want to protect a tailender if I need to prolong an innings (or occasionally I'll deploy a nightwatchman and use it then), and generally I'll have the one who's supposed to be avoiding the strike on zero aggression and the one who's supposed to be hogging it on a normal aggression level. But I often find that the batsmen will settle into a pattern for a good few overs at a time where the one who is supposed to be keeping the strike takes his single off one of the first three balls of the over, leaving the batsman who I don't want to be on strike to face half the over or more, thereby completely defeating the point of using the feature in the first place. Am I using it wrong, or am I just unlucky with stupid batsmen!?

Comment

Originally posted by Phylos View Post
        I think it might be useful to have (as a batting option) a Nightwatchman feature. Sure, you can set the tailender to farm the strike, but the problem is you'd want him to stonewall as well. Setting him defensively will mean he won't look for a single to take the strike at the end of the over. Thoughts?
        They should still be keeping the strike as well, if using the keep strike option. Do you find this doesn't happen in-game? You'd really need to ensure you have a bowler who can actually bat as the nightwatchman.

As an Englishman, I'm not sure nightwatchmen work often enoughf or how often they get deployed!

Comment

Keeping strike always works for me quite well, whoever keeps strike won't take any singles until the fifth or sixth ball. This happens regardless of how aggressive batsmen are. There's the odd time where the batsman is unable to rotate strike before the end of the over or hits a boundary on the last ball instead while on high aggression but it's a feature that definitely works as intended. Usually I use it to farm strike towards the end of the week and rarely use nightwatchmen to begin with. New batsmen seem to go out at the same rate no matter what the time of day/session.

Comment

Working...
          X