Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are regen bowlers so rubbish at batting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are regen bowlers so rubbish at batting?

This is something that really annoys me with the game. After playing into 2059, there are hardly any bowlers who can bat at all.

I've taken a screenshot of all my bowlers - the longer list - Durham and Yorkshire (who are my main rivals in domestic cricket) they've got one or two who can get into the teens.

But almost all bowlers can't hold a bat and average incredibly low - like Courtney Walsh low. But even Courney averaged 7 in test cricket! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Walsh

My guys are averaging like 5!

Some of them have 2nd Xi averages in the 20s and 30s but are dreadful in the first team, basically a walking wicket.

It seems to me that existing bowlers are all decent batters but when you get a regen, they're all garbage.

Does anyone have a regen bowler who can handle a bat?
    Attached Files

A Zimbabwe fast bowler from 2060 averages 20 in test matches and he’s scored a few 50s. Speaking of bowlers though, in around 2060 Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka never play spinners in test matches, even though Australia England and New Zealand sometimes do. Also Ireland only has about 20 players, none of them are spinners and thier best wicket keeper is good enough to bat at 9, basically an awful batter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lojoda View Post
      A Zimbabwe fast bowler from 2060 averages 20 in test matches and he’s scored a few 50s. Speaking of bowlers though, in around 2060 Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka never play spinners in test matches, even though Australia England and New Zealand sometimes do. Also Ireland only has about 20 players, none of them are spinners and thier best wicket keeper is good enough to bat at 9, basically an awful batter.
      My opponents seem to have plenty who can bat and have averages of around 20 but as England manager for over 40 years... I've not produced anyone who can average over 10 in FC cricket, which seems utterly bizarre.

It's another example of the game going against reality, where bowlers are increasingly becoming better batsmen.

Comment

When a regen bowler comes out an amazing bowler from day one I give them lots of batting technique training and it’s helped a few times.

my old online team (the b team) used to have 4 number 11s but this time round a few of them can hold a bat. Might be luck or might be the training but worth a go

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy1984 View Post
          When a regen bowler comes out an amazing bowler from day one I give them lots of batting technique training and it’s helped a few times.

my old online team (the b team) used to have 4 number 11s but this time round a few of them can hold a bat. Might be luck or might be the training but worth a go
          I agree that batting technique would help... but in nearly 40 season, plus seasons with other saves. I've not once had a bowler who can average 10 in FC cricket with the bat. Meaning I've not produced a bowler who's as good a batsman as Jimmy Anderson in about 60 seasons of the game, is ridiculous really.

Comment

Originally posted by galvatron View Post

I agree that batting technique would help... but in nearly 40 season, plus seasons with other saves. I've not once had a bowler who can average 10 in FC cricket with the bat. Meaning I've not produced a bowler who's as good a batsman as Jimmy Anderson in about 60 seasons of the game, is ridiculous really.
            Ya I agree a much higher percentage should be able to hold a bat this day and age

Comment

I’ve had a few regens who can hold a bat. Elahi averaged mid-20s until he was 33 or so, then his batting became considerably worse. Funnily enough, even though he was an overseas player I had him for his whole career. Over that save which lasted until 2058 before the file corrupted, most of my bowlers managed a first-class 50 at some point, so as much as there was the odd player who averaged 4 or 5, most of them weren’t too bad, averaging in the teens.
              Last edited by Aussiespinnersfanpage; 01-22-2021, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiespinnersfanpage View Post
                I’ve had a few regens who can hold a bat. Elahi averaged mid-20s until he was 33 or so, then his batting became considerably worse. Funnily enough, even though he was an overseas player I had him for his whole career. Over that save which lasted until 2058 before the file corrupted, most of my bowlers managed a first-class 50 at some point, so as much as there was the odd player who averaged 4 or 5, most of them weren’t too bad, averaging in the teens.
                It does seem that overseas bowlers are better than my ones for England. Pakistan have a number who average in the mid 20s.

Comment

Further comments on this thread...

Courtney Walsh has the most test ducks. He got 43 ducks in 185 innings. That's a duck 23% of the time...

My bowlers are getting ducks 25% of their batting innings and that seems consistent no matter who I've got in the team. One guy gets a duck 29% of the time in FC cricket.

I just don't get how England never produce a bowler who can bat a little bit... I'm producing some of the worst batsmen of all time.

Comment

I'm still baffled by how bad my bowlers are at batting.

One of my best bowlers, Higgins, averaged 26 in 2nd XI cricket with the bat. He scored 10 fifties and a century but in FC cricket he averages 4.6 with a highest score of 31 and gets a duck 22% of his innings.

It seems no matter what my bowlers average in 2nd XI cricket with the bat, they end up averaging around 4-6 with the bat in FC cricket.

Sureshot is this a bug in the game? I can't remember this happening in the 2019 version and it's across multiple different saves for England and across different counties. Almost no bowlers can bat whatsoever. They're some of the worst FC batsmen ever to grace the game.

Comment

Originally posted by galvatron View Post
                      I'm still baffled by how bad my bowlers are at batting.

One of my best bowlers, Higgins, averaged 26 in 2nd XI cricket with the bat. He scored 10 fifties and a century but in FC cricket he averages 4.6 with a highest score of 31 and gets a duck 22% of his innings.

It seems no matter what my bowlers average in 2nd XI cricket with the bat, they end up averaging around 4-6 with the bat in FC cricket.

Sureshot is this a bug in the game? I can't remember this happening in the 2019 version and it's across multiple different saves for England and across different counties. Almost no bowlers can bat whatsoever. They're some of the worst FC batsmen ever to grace the game.
                      I get some really good bowlers that can bat. My star spinner who has taken 1000+ test wickets at age 26 has an average around 19. Has made 4 or 5 50s and usually chimes in for a handy 20 or 30.
                      ===========

~I Love Lamp~

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post

I get some really good bowlers that can bat. My star spinner who has taken 1000+ test wickets at age 26 has an average around 19. Has made 4 or 5 50s and usually chimes in for a handy 20 or 30.
                        Those are amazing stats!!! Normal difficulty? Can you post a screenshot. I would be very interested to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Lojoda View Post

Those are amazing stats!!! Normal difficulty? Can you post a screenshot. I would be very interested to see.
                          There is a picture of when he was 24 in the best regen player thread.
                          ===========

~I Love Lamp~

Comment

Working...
                          X