Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard of 'weak' Test sides

Hi guys,

Kinda alluded to it in another thread but there really is quite an issue with the competitiveness of weak Test sides in the 2020 game.

In my save, Afghanistan are touring Australia and, much like Bangladesh before them, they're super difficult to beat. A look at the Afghan team list, there are two dudes (Rashid Khan and Qais Ahmed) with just over 200 poles after 30 Tests. For context, the world record in Tests for fastest to 200 wickets in the real game is held by Yasir Shah at 33. Less than 10 players in Test history have done it in under 40 Tests. So we have two players representing in-game Afghanistan team whose records beat dudes like Younis, Steyn, Lillee and Marshall (him by 10 Tests!).

Quick check of their FC records and that of the Bangladesh players and they, as one would expect from playing in a much weaker FC competition, have near-to or sub-20 averages. All of them. The batsmen also tend to have pretty impressive records and it's hard to keep them below 4 or 5/over when they get going.

By contrast, a touring English or South African side get pumped by my team because, presumably because they play in a much higher standard FC system, they have lower averages, tend to be avg aggression at best, etc. So they're lucky not to collapse to < 200 every knock and stand basically zero chance of winning against my side.

Of course I've no idea whether there's some sort of weighting of FC records to reflect the step onto international cricket but I'm wondering if there's some way to add some reality check. Of course, updates to the database in subsequent versions provide that check as the real players play more Tests but yeah, for now, pretty frustrating.

Anyone else getting trashed by minnows?

I’d say that rankings are almost predetermined based on player skill, and in the game Bangladesh and Afghanistan have more players of higher skill than Australia and New Zealand for example in my save from 2055, the rankings haven’t really changed for years and New Zealand and Australia are 9th and 10th, with Ireland and Zimbabwe below them, and Pakistan and South Africa are at the top with the other teams in between. Currently Ireland only has about 25 players available for selection and literally 0 spinners other than 2 very bad batsmen who are meant to be just batsmen. It’s been like this since about 2040 so I’d say that based on predetermined skill of regents from different country’s, no shock results don’t happen often

Comment

I've never found Bangladesh to be any good. Even at home they're easily beatable. Afghanistan are great at home on hellscape wickets where they can roll you for 150.

But you're right that the rankings don't change.

India and South Africa are always the best; Pakistan are inconsistent but will smash you a lot or be awful.

Comment

Top Cat, absolute top class analysis about FC competition of various countries.
        Qais Ahmed and Rashid khan take so many wickets in the game, that's unrealistic and hilarious. Particularly in Test matches. It's OK in white ball format.

Comment

Working...
        X