Squad sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris_ View Post
    Well, the planning was almost right. I do have the 3 openers and 5 batsmen available for the Challenge Trophy, so yay for that! I can rotate 2 of the spots for form.

Where it didn't quite work is that 10 of my 14 bowlers are away leaving me 4 for the whole Challenge Trophy. I guess we'll see how well my batsmen can bowl I really didn't expect youth bowlers with no first team record at all to get called up in their first year...

I didn't get a youth bowler promoted mid-season this year either, just a wicket keeper with terrible 2nd XI averages which is a shame.

Ah well, I guess I need to let one more good player go so I can afford a couple more budget bowlers for the silly part of the season next time (though I'll probably just end up with 12/16 going to The 100 then...).

Click image for larger version

Name:	bowlers.png
Views:	452
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	73380
    Do you have any all-rounders available in the squad?

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post

Do you have any all-rounders available in the squad?
      Yes, 1 all-rounder I'd signed from the youth squad in the summer. I thought he'd been selected for The 100 too as he was greyed out but it must've been a short injury as he was showing as available again when I went to Play Match. So I have the 4 'backup' bowlers and 1 youth all-rounder available for selection, not ideal but I haven't had to make a batsman bowl yet

Does the game have something built in to keep a minimum of 5 bowling-capable players unselected?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_ View Post

Yes, 1 all-rounder I'd signed from the youth squad in the summer. I thought he'd been selected for The 100 too as he was greyed out but it must've been a short injury as he was showing as available again when I went to Play Match. So I have the 4 'backup' bowlers and 1 youth all-rounder available for selection, not ideal but I haven't had to make a batsman bowl yet

Does the game have something built in to keep a minimum of 5 bowling-capable players unselected?
        When it creates a regen it should be based on what the AI "thinks" you need, ie, if you don't have a keeper, it should generate a keeper, etc.

There is an update to this code in the next patch.

Comment

Young players getting pulled into an England squad without much experience is not unheard of but I would guess the chances of it happening in the 100 are very small indeed and just should not happen in game.

There are loads of decent enough T20 players across the counties for a franchise to not have to take the risk of an unproven player over a proven performer. Even if you had a very promising player you wouldn’t take the risk when you have so few places available to you - you would let the counties do the development work while you take the cream off the top.

Also does anyone know the setup in regards to player release from the counties? Surely no county would stand for being reduced to just five bowlers for the OD matches no matter how lucrative the 100 is. There should be some way to guard squads against this, perhaps with players demanding a premium for not playing in the 100 when their contract want renewing.

Comment

When it creates a regen it should be based on what the AI "thinks" you need, ie, if you don't have a keeper, it should generate a keeper, etc.

I have played for years and never knew that. If anything I find that the AI seems to produce tons of just a few types of regen, changing with each save. In my one save, for example, there is a very good fast bowler produced by one of the counties every year who if I didn’t already have two I would sign, lots of average aggression middle order batsmen and off spinners. There are very rarely any openers or wicket keepers averaging more than 35 in 2nd XI, not one all-rounder of any sort for 6 years (not even being kept on by other teams) worthy of the name all-rounder and barely any MF or FM bowlers either. Maybe the odd LS and absolutely no SLA.

Another save has quite a few good openers, the odd decent all-rounder, tons of FM players and some very good wicket keepers. The middle order? Struggling to find second choice batsmen. Spinners? Not one OS aside from Bess worth a biscuit in the whole country but I have two SLA and a LS demon.

It seems to have always been thus.

Comment

Originally posted by cde View Post
              Young players getting pulled into an England squad without much experience is not unheard of but I would guess the chances of it happening in the 100 are very small indeed and just should not happen in game.

There are loads of decent enough T20 players across the counties for a franchise to not have to take the risk of an unproven player over a proven performer. Even if you had a very promising player you wouldn’t take the risk when you have so few places available to you - you would let the counties do the development work while you take the cream off the top.

Also does anyone know the setup in regards to player release from the counties? Surely no county would stand for being reduced to just five bowlers for the OD matches no matter how lucrative the 100 is. There should be some way to guard squads against this, perhaps with players demanding a premium for not playing in the 100 when their contract want renewing.
              I think there are various issues with hundred squad selections.

Perhaps some logic should be built in ensuring a realistic level of spread between the players signed across counties.

Alternatively perhaps it's just too easy to amass a squad of the best players in the country due to generous county budgets.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post

I think there are various issues with hundred squad selections.

Perhaps some logic should be built in ensuring a realistic level of spread between the players signed across counties.

Alternatively perhaps it's just too easy to amass a squad of the best players in the country due to generous county budgets.
                Sureshot The budgets seem to be quite big. Just a question, are the budgets set by the budgets of real life counties and how much they are paying their players or do you add all the players a county has on their books to a squad with the budget then set by how much the AI believes they are all worth? Both would make sense and the latter would explain why Glamorgan have such a big budget for a team with comparatively fewer supporters (and therefore gate income).

Comment

One thing about regens.

In CC20 the regens who I have had come through for me when I play as Glamorgan are closer in ability to those who come through in real life. There are more distinctly average players with a really good prospect every few years rather than the production lines of top notch players of previous versions.

Apologies to our current players, no offence intended!

Comment

That's good to know On a personal note I would love to have more regens this way. Developing a player from a raw youth into a seasoned veteran is my favourite part of the game so I'm always a little sad when I only get 1 youth to try as I did this year. If it was a group of 4-5-6 there would be a few more options and it would feel more like the next batch of youngsters coming through. Even if most of them were sub-par players (which would be realistic - I wouldn't expect 5 stars).

An important thing with the youths you get mid-season is that they're available for the Challenge Trophy so even if they're not particularly great it would help a lot at that time of year having 2-3 youth batsmen and 2-3 youth bowlers as cover/rotation when your good players are unavailable. In some previous years I've had 1 batsman and 1 bowler which was nice as I got cover for each role. This year just getting 1 poor keeper didn't really help in that way.

I also have to agree, cde. Most of the players I get mid-season now are average at best, which is more realistic. Getting a guaranteed star every year wouldn't be so fun. I would also say that I've found the quality of my newgens is lower the longer I go in my save (I'm in 2027), but that could just be down to luck / bad luck. I currently have 1 bowler I think I got in my 2nd season who went on to be part of the England white ball teams. Everyone else in the squad was either signed off the available domestic player list or the available youth list in the summer after not getting a contract from the county they 'spawned' for. I've had a few others over the years who I've signed for a few years but let them go once their wage demands got too high for their ability as they were ok but not great.

Comment

The good thing is my 5 remaining bowlers avoided injury during the Challenge Trophy and I made the SF with them Wasn't a bad season overall, as I also made the QF in the 20 Over Trophy and narrowly missed out on the County Championship by 2 points as runner up. That one was particularly frustrating as I looked set for a win in my final game until the 4th day got completely rained off. It was odd though as when a new session started it would say "15 minutes lost to rain" but instead of taking 15 minutes off the time it skipped straight to lunch, then the same again and skipped to tea. Oh well, maybe this year!

I was mostly happy with my squad size as I had a focused core for the Championship and suitable backups for One Day, though I'd love to be able to squeeze in a couple more aggressive batsmen for 20 Overs and a couple more bowlers for Challenge Trophy rotation.

Unfortunately a couple of years of doing well in white ball cricket seems to have drawn the attention of England, as I got this shortly after the new 20 Over Trophy started:

Click image for larger version

Name:	engod.png
Views:	126
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	73468
                      That's beginning to feel like The 100 all over again Looks like the Challenge Cup backups will be getting a run out in the shorter games this year too.

Comment

Academy Squads added to CC would be a good way to reduce the bloated squads without leaving squads too short fill a first team XI. It would be hard to judge their abilities and potential abilities, but over time these would become populated with newly generated players. This would allow you to choose the best ones from that squad at end of year. The rest being of the squad would removed from the Academy squad (if they become over aged for the Academy) to potentially be picked up by other Counties or leave Cricket if no one picks them up. At the start of a new season spaces left in the Academy Squad will be repopulated by new squad members. Academy players can be called up during the season when too many of the first team squad become unavailable due to commitments in other Leagues, Injuries or to Test them in County Cricket before you make a decision on their suitability for offering them a contract.

Comment

If academy squads are a bit too complicated to work in then maybe guaranteeing two to four players from the academy rather than one or two would work? Two of you have a good sized squad, three if it’s a bit tight, four if you have just 12 players?

You could maybe choose two of the four to go back to the academy at the end of the season - they appear on your team lists but they can not be selected until the 8th when they are joined by another one or two academy players. If you still don’t sign them at the end of the second season they leave.

I imagine that in most counties would pull up a few players into the training squad if they were struggling for players so such an arrangement could mirror that.

Comment

Working...
                          X