Online game - much point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online game - much point?

I’ve played for quite a few years but never online. This was because I thought it would take too long - I can’t often just sit down to play for long - and because where I lived had hilariously awful broadband and phone reception.

I’m now somewhere with good broadband and good reception, though still without any extended periods of time in which to play. However I made my first forays into online gaming. I am mostly playing on iOS at the moment, so this may just be an issue for me but I have so far started to play three T20 matches (time allowing not much more), completing none of them.

The first match was the longest, I was falling short of the run rate and wickets with three overs to spare - a disappointing but ok loss. Unfortunately a call came in and despite managing to wave the telesales guy away in less than 30 seconds I got a disconnection message and -42 points. Bad luck, but there we go.

Second match I was positively thrashing the other guy, He batted first and was about 58-6 by about eight overs in. I had a ‘waiting for opponent to decide tactics message for a very long time before I got an error message.

Third match was going well, bowling first again and he was 106-6 with three overs left. My one bowler had fulfilled his overs and I need to change but the screen just froze - no play over button, nothing happening when I hit change bowler, no message to change bowler. After trying it for a bit I get the disconnected due to inactivity message. Another -42 points but this time for a game I would fancy winning.

What I would like to know from the guys who play online regularly is if this is par for the course? The first match must have left the other guy miffed since he lost an almost certain win, the second looked like they were just trying to avoid a loss and the third like there was a bug in the game. Is this common or have I just been unlucky? Either way I now have -84 points and look like I disconnect if I don’t like how it is going.

To put it bluntly, is there any point in playing the online game?
    Last edited by cde; 10-04-2020, 08:49 AM.

I've probably last played it many, many years ago and due to the disconnection issues haven't bothered since.

These days with worklife/family there just isn't the time in the day. I used to get a fair bit of my CC time in on the train when commuting where the internet connection wouldn't be reliable enough anyway.

Comment

I don’t get that many errors and disconnects online but obviously they do happen. I get a lot of guys disconnect against me when I am thrashing them which is annoying so now I only try and play players who have decent games to disconnect records online

Comment

That is one of the issues - if I keep getting disconnected for whatever reason the chances of anyone excepting a challenge diminish. If there could be some sort of DLS system for giving a result if there is a disconnect it would solve the problem - as things stand if I keep getting disconnects for whatever reason you would (understandably) not accept my challenge but if you knew you would get a result you probably would.

Comment

Question answered. No, there is no point. Another match, again doing well enough, chasing 156-9 and two overs in to the run chase and the same thing happened again. I could select menus and player stats but no play next over button. Eventually I had another “disconnected through inactivity” message and another points deduction.

I don’t know if it’s the connection - though if it is then it is the only app on the only phone that has an issue.

This just isn’t worth the time.

Comment

I used to play it years ago when I was living in property in Limassol but since I moved of it 1.5 years ago I never played it since. And based on what I read here I will not start doing it again.
            Last edited by Kirtto; 10-08-2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I can’t even get Netflix running in my area! So no point me trying. Luckily the game has loads to offer and games against the AI are still pretty competitive so I’ll stick to that

Comment

I’ve always been satisfied with the standard game but decided to give the online game a try. It’s a shame it seems to work so poorly but I don’t buy the game for this feature and it is an otherwise great game.

Yorkie I know that feeling - standing by the ‘special’ tree in the field to get phone reception which disappears when a sheep in the neighbouring field moves was a part of life for quite a while!

Comment

Originally posted by cde View Post
                  That is one of the issues - if I keep getting disconnected for whatever reason the chances of anyone excepting a challenge diminish. If there could be some sort of DLS system for giving a result if there is a disconnect it would solve the problem - as things stand if I keep getting disconnects for whatever reason you would (understandably) not accept my challenge but if you knew you would get a result you probably would.
                  I've seen the DLS system suggested for determining matches when some quits online before, I'm not sure it would work. If it was in place, then the "dirty" players would just abuse it when they're ahead of DLS.

Comment

It could be open to abuse, I don’t know about these things but it also seems like there are so many variables it would also be very difficult to make it work.

A match like the one I tried to play when It died just two overs into the run chase - how do you make that reliable?

I find enough in the game without playing online but have often thought I would like to see how a team fares against the online opposition. I just thought I would dip my toe in and see if it would work for me.

I was also intrigued to see if the tactics that work for me offline work against human players as well as they do online. Maybe someday when I have a better connection...

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post

I've seen the DLS system suggested for determining matches when some quits online before, I'm not sure it would work. If it was in place, then the "dirty" players would just abuse it when they're ahead of DLS.
                      Yup that’s why it can’t be done. As annoying as it is it’s hard to stop DCers because if you punish them too much then people with genuine disconnections lose out

i had some guy telling me he was gonna DC and even though he’d lose more points than if he lost the game he didn’t want me to get the win.

can we screenshot these guys and get them banned maybe when it’s that blatant?

Comment

The guy who clocked out at 56-6 or whatever it was was clearly just waiting for it to conk out. Very frustrating when you are starting out!

Comment

Originally posted by cde View Post
                          The guy who clocked out at 56-6 or whatever it was was clearly just waiting for it to conk out. Very frustrating when you are starting out!
                          I find some people try and make you disconnect so they don’t take the hit, crappy play

Comment

Working...
                          X