X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynx54321
    replied
    Originally posted by hitthestump View Post

We'd be here all year trying to answer that question.

But lets be really blunt. It comes down to the devs repackaging the same game every year and claiming its a new release.

Since the last update a decade ago we should have had 3 or 4 animation updates. The fact that the current set is still deemed appropriate is crazy. Making a thread isn't going to solve that unfortunately. And we need to remember how long the list of things is which haven't been updated since Kingdom Come.
    I used to think like you but over time and with increased knowledge I now know that unfortunately the reality of coding a game like CC is that it's complex and requires a skillset which isn't cheap.

I don't know how much the devs make from the game but any of them with any sort of serious coding ability could conceivably be earning far more in any sort of software development role outside the niche cricket management game market.

I suspect they already do and CC is done on the side and for that we should be grateful. It's got it's issues but in the main it's an extremely well polished product that is still seeing continuous improvement.

I once heard Football Manager described as the world's most complicated calculator. You have to remember that's how these games work, a multitude of calculations continuously all happening under the hood. I'm quite happy for the dev team to continue pouring their efforts into this unseen core of the game which ultimately delivers the match engine experience which I think has come a damn long way over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Wilted
    replied
    Gameplay, player database, stats and UI should always be a priority for CC and I don't think anyone plays it because of the graphics and animations. I'm not too fussed by animations and usually only have animations on for the first partnership or so of an innings but they are good for breaking up staring at a scorecard for a whole match. If I want to play a cricket game with good animations/graphics, I'll play Cricket19.

The presentation of the animations in CC is really lacklustre though. It'd be nice if there were a graphics overhaul that made the players less... blobby and make the grass and pitch look less blurry. Also a more dynamic camera that shows replays at random angles to viewpoints would help disguise the repetitiveness of the animations. I know you can set the camera to different angles but it'd be nice to have an option to get angles alternating from behind the bowler, from midwicket, zoomed in on the batsmen, etc. for the highlights.

Leave a comment:

• hitthestump
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie View Post
    What annoys you about the decade old animations?
    We'd be here all year trying to answer that question.

But lets be really blunt. It comes down to the devs repackaging the same game every year and claiming its a new release.

Since the last update a decade ago we should have had 3 or 4 animation updates. The fact that the current set is still deemed appropriate is crazy. Making a thread isn't going to solve that unfortunately. And we need to remember how long the list of things is which haven't been updated since Kingdom Come.

Leave a comment:

• Chris_
    replied
    I like highlights/animations being on to feel more involved but it would be nice for some updates at some point. Half the time you know what’s coming as soon as the ball is released.

If the batsman looks like he’s moving the bat in slow motion the stumps are about to get knocked backwards as he gets bowled.

A slight stutter when facing a spinner means they’ll miss the ball while stepping forwards and get stumped by the wicket keeper.

More variation would be good but it’s understandable that it would need certain resources and budget which isn’t a simple thing for a niche game.

Leave a comment:

• cde
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie View Post
    There’s two sides to this and I do understand both points of view. For me the highlights are an integral part of the game and do make the game complete. Although clunky and repetitive they put forward that extra realism to games, more so 1day games, hitting 4’s and 6’s and such like..
    I’d like to see better animations and I’m sure this would be possible, but not at the expense of gameplay/match engine.
    Hear hear! With you on this one.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie
    replied
    There’s two sides to this and I do understand both points of view. For me the highlights are an integral part of the game and do make the game complete. Although clunky and repetitive they put forward that extra realism to games, more so 1day games, hitting 4’s and 6’s and such like..
    I’d like to see better animations and I’m sure this would be possible, but not at the expense of gameplay/match engine.

Leave a comment:

• GrahamB
    replied
    Originally posted by adil View Post
    I sometimes feel that it would have been better if there was no match engine in the 1998 game. The match engine does nothing to add to the experience of the playing the game. The animations are repetitive and bland. If there had been no match engine. The resources used would have been used to improve and add other features. Maybe have a better match interface and skins
    I wouldn't bother playing without the 3D animation.

Leave a comment:

• cde
    replied
    I must admit that I have mixed views on the animations. I do find them useful when bowling but not so much when batting and while they look ok on a phone when viewed on a laptop with a decent screen...

But I’m guessing that people buy this for a variety of reasons and while the database and scope of the game has to be the biggest draw I think that for a lot of people just watching summary screens pop up would be a bit dull.

It would be nice to have some new graphics and see the end of some of the clunky dismissals but I would probably not like to see that done at the expense of improvements in the game engine. It has been reassuring to hear that database adjustments don’t always take that long because it feels that as the scope of the game has increased to such a huge extent keeping the database up to date each year must eat up massive amounts of resources that could be otherwise put into game engine improvements.

Leave a comment:

• adil
    replied
    Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post
    Yeah I agree. With Football Manager for example they've made big strides towards improving the graphics in their match engine (they're still miles off the likes of Fifa mind) but I still much prefer the old style overhead and very basic circles view which I grew up with. Management games are fundamentally statistical simulations so the nuts and bolts (calculations) underneath are far more important than the graphics to my mind.
    Highlights are a distraction from the main game. Every time I have them on accidently they make me pull my hair out. Every management game in my opinion should avoid using match engine as simulations are more into stats and intracites of sports than into graphics and gameplay. Highlights just prolong the game for no reason

Leave a comment:

• Lynx54321
    replied
    Yeah I agree. With Football Manager for example they've made big strides towards improving the graphics in their match engine (they're still miles off the likes of Fifa mind) but I still much prefer the old style overhead and very basic circles view which I grew up with. Management games are fundamentally statistical simulations so the nuts and bolts (calculations) underneath are far more important than the graphics to my mind.

Leave a comment:

• adil
    replied
    I sometimes feel that it would have been better if there was no match engine in the 1998 game. The match engine does nothing to add to the experience of the playing the game. The animations are repetitive and bland. If there had been no match engine. The resources used would have been used to improve and add other features. Maybe have a better match interface and skins

Leave a comment:

• Lynx54321
    replied
    Pretty sure the animations/graphical representation of the match engine were made by a third party hence why there has been no further improvement beyond small refinements.

I wouldn't expect much change going forwards short of a 2005 level boost in cricket interest that would drive a bigger dev with more resource to get involved.

Current match engine underneath the graphics is strong in my mind so work on the nuts and bolts is more important

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie
    started a topic Animations

Animations

Hi Guys,
    Thought I’d start a new thread regarding game animations, which sadly have not changed much over the years, to add my own new ideas and see what other players also think.

Now I know game play and the match engine, is the mainstay of this great game Along with stats/performance etc, but others enjoy the animations and highlights, myself included...justifiably so! But will we ever get any new one’s?

Looking through the forums, players have grumbled about the player animations for quite some time, so here’s some of my own thoughts, those from past forum users, and hopefully you guys will add a lot more.

I don’t want it to become hyper critical, but I’m sure the devs will read and hopefully implement changes in the near future.

So here goes;

Stadia animations;
    3D crowd instead of 2D cutouts
    women and children in the crowds
    more detailed stadiums
    more stadiums added (especially test arena’s)
    full stadiums for important games (no empty seats)

Gameplay animations;
    Lot less “caught and bowled” happens far too frequent
    lot less “retired hurt” from the same ball the batsman strides into deliberately!
    bowlers should try to block a straight drive with their feet
    catches to slips normally go into waiting hands, instead of the spectacular dives we see
    wickets don’t always “go flying” sometimes the bails are clipped
    outer fielders catching big hits backwards, whilst running to the boundary
    Appeals waiting for too long a time before that shriek sounds out
    change that dreadful appeal shriek
    catches appearing to go into hands, instead of appearing to first fly past, then be caught
    umpires wearing hats and jackets, those smocks retired when Dicky Bird did!
    foot holes appearing later on in games
    gameplay darkening slightly with bad light or heavy cloud
    rain flickering on to our screens just before rain delays!
    more hair styles and sun block on faces (Nathan Lyon etc)

These are just a few without really racking my brain. What do others want, or really crave to be changed? What annoys you about the decade old animations?
Working...
X