Fixture clash cost me a title chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixture clash cost me a title chance

I play Surrey in the County and their domestic comps.

In this version of CC, I also play with Leeds in the 100.

The Challenge Semis and 100 ball final clashed it would appear, and I was not given the opportunity to play with Surrey in the Challenge semi.

Particularly galling, considering I finished top of my group in the challenge, therefore qualifying directly into a semi spot.

Surrey of course lost that semi, and was knocked out.

I’ve yet to find a reason to like the 100 but if you play county / national teams or county / 100 teams this always happens. I often end up playing as a county or as an international team because you can get yourself into a good position in a tournament then leave to play a test match, returning find your team has lost to a side at the bottom of the table by an innings and 345 runs.

Comment

I've just reached the start of the 100 in my first season on CC20 (I play with Yorkshire) and have, as I feared, found most of my first-choice team being selected for the 100. I'm not playing the 100, because it's ridiculous, so I guess I have to just suck it up and accept that I'm going to be taking on the Challenge Trophy with my 2nd XI every season, which basically renders the Trophy fairly meaningless. Oh well, I suppose everyone's in the same boat...

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1K View Post
        I've just reached the start of the 100 in my first season on CC20 (I play with Yorkshire) and have, as I feared, found most of my first-choice team being selected for the 100. I'm not playing the 100, because it's ridiculous, so I guess I have to just suck it up and accept that I'm going to be taking on the Challenge Trophy with my 2nd XI every season, which basically renders the Trophy fairly meaningless. Oh well, I suppose everyone's in the same boat...
        I agree with you Jobi. I don't like or play the 100 and have resigned myself to having the Challenge Trophy as a second class competition (similar to the league cup in English football).

What I try and do is bring in a couple of extra players at the beginning of the season who are not good at T20s but aren't bad at one days as well as a few youngsters. My Challenge Trophy team is a blend of youth players who I want to develop and experienced players who arent great at T20s.

It is likely the youngsters will go off and be good at T20, but I can keep hold of them for my T20 competition, and hope they can play the 4 day format too.

Comment

Jobi1K,
          just had exactly the same problem, but was also playing the 100 this time (which is ludicrous by the way). Decided to fly through it to ged rid of it and ended up R/Up without even trying?
          Then finished 7th in the Challenge, my cobbled together juniors unable to get to 45 overs! This has been particularly galling because I enjoy (and am good) at One Dayers.
          In ten seasons I lost only 3 One Day games on cc2018, now on 2020 I’m struggling big time.
          Of note, I ended up playing the 100 with just 11 players available and actually played 2 opposing teams with no wicket keepers!!? due to their availability. What is the point?
          So the 100 is not for me, thinking of another save maybe or jumping back onto 2018?
          Disappointed...

Comment

Address all concerns to the ECB and their greed.

Comment

I actually ended up with a 4-4 record in my first go at the 100-affected Challenge Trophy, which I was quite pleased with. Only just came up short in a couple of those defeats as well, and was still in with a shot of qualifying going into the last game (which somewhat typically ended up being my worst defeat of the comp. Pressure does funny things to you!). Obviously you'd like to go at the competition with the strongest possible team, but given all teams are weakened to some extent, I don't think success is beyond the bounds of possibility.

Going into my new season (second season in this save) I've put together a very large squad (probably slight overkill on the numbers, but better safe than sorry), including snapping up a few young players who had done well in the CT the previous season in the absence of senior players but had nonetheless been released by their counties, so I'm actually quite looking forward to it coming round this season. Should be a good... err... challenge. Still glad I decided not to play the 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie View Post
                Jobi1K,
                just had exactly the same problem, but was also playing the 100 this time (which is ludicrous by the way). Decided to fly through it to ged rid of it and ended up R/Up without even trying?
                Then finished 7th in the Challenge, my cobbled together juniors unable to get to 45 overs! This has been particularly galling because I enjoy (and am good) at One Dayers.
                In ten seasons I lost only 3 One Day games on cc2018, now on 2020 I’m struggling big time.
                Of note, I ended up playing the 100 with just 11 players available and actually played 2 opposing teams with no wicket keepers!!? due to their availability. What is the point?
                So the 100 is not for me, thinking of another save maybe or jumping back onto 2018?
                Disappointed...
                I've noted the issue with only 11 available and the no keepers in opposing team.

By any chance do you have a save from before the OD final? If not, can you confirm which in-game year it was?

Comment

Hi Sureshot
                  I've started over without the 100 now so haven’t a save (IOS). It was all down to injuries and International selection but started getting injuries from the off. First season mate that’s all. Like I said I just flew through it as I didn’t like it but one of the keepers was Pope (Davies injured too for Southern Brave), can’t remember who the other one was. I was playing with Leeds. Lost Lyth, then Rimmington, then Stokes and Rashid, just went on until I’d just 11 left for the final which I narrowly lost.

Comment

I have found that the best way to still enjoy the Challenge Trophy is to keep a hunt on for decent OD players who are not playing in the 100 and sign them on a one year contract.

If I lose some revenue through having a poor season I can jettison them easily, also if they get picked up for the 100.

I also let people go on the basis of 100 selection. I had three RMF bowlers I picked up as youth players, their averages around about the same in all three formats but one better at FC, the others in LO, one with very good averages. Once they were all getting picked for 100 franchises there was no point in keeping them all. The guy with the best FC figures was kept, so was the one with ok LO averages but the third was playing IPL and the 100 so was a waste of resources. Did I miss him in the T20s? A bit, but at least I had more money to make my OD squad stronger.

Comment

Working...
                    X