Guide for new players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide for new players

Hi all. Fairly new to the game but wanting some advice re the basics on bowling. I’m playing on easy and in the Australian state league.

im using default fields and changing aggression as I’ve seen suggested in this forum. I’m also looking at the batters preferences and using them at times too. I feel I’ve literally tried everything yet I’m struggling to take any wickets at all.

in the one day comp, opposition avg 300 runs despite me bowling crazy defensive. And In the four day games I’m yet to dismiss a team who bats first for less than 500...

is there a link anyone can provide on where bowling tips\strategies are discussed? It’s pretty hard to enjoy the game when I’m just getting smashed every game.

any advice would be fantastic

Hi Mate, if you look in the 2019 forum there is a Rough Guide to formats with some pretty good tips and advice.
    Proudly supporting Nottingham Forest and Nottinghamshire CCC.

Comment

Many thanks Mark. Have you seen success following the guides?

Comment

You can watch YouTube videos, links are provided in the story forum.

Comment

Hi Powelly87,
          I’m newish to the game also, playing on Easy at the moment with Yorkshire in English Cricket. I find bowling not too bad on easy to be honest, but you have to do your homework as it were. Check out all the tips in all the forums, there's some good tips even from 2015 cc which still stand well. Also check out the YouTube vids which players put on and see how they use tactics. Do some research, there’s even tips from the developers to be found which are useful.

From my own perspective and I’m not an expert, firstly make sure you’re using 4 or 5 excellent bowlers. The 2 best of these are your most dangerous, so obviously utilise these for more overs. Bowl to the conditions, a brilliant spinner for a turning wicket etc. If you’ve got a couple of great spinners then set your home wicket to suit spin. If the opposition have poor spinners then this applies even more. On a cloudy day a good RM or LM pacer can do a lot of damage! Bowl one bowler over the wicket, the other around the wicket. Alternative the bowling regularly so batsmen don’t get settled to predictable bowling. If the batman prefers pace then keep your spinner on. Have one bowler focusing on middle stump and the other on the batsmen’s weaknesses Utilise the new ball by having a Fast Pacer ready to go at that point. Use high aggression to start, then lower accordingly. If a batsman is making a large score then go defensive, but try to make inroads at the other end to keep the wickets falling...then there’s all the fielding positions to start tinkering with to back all this up which will take too long on here today.

For the 1 day game and 20/20 game I choose my 6 most economical bowlers. Bowl at zero aggression from the start to the end! Give all 6 a couple of overs but then drop out the dearest of the 6, the one who’s getting knocked all over. Up to now the opposition nearly always get themselves out (not sure if it’s a game glitch) but works nearly all the time for me!

Like I say I’m no expert but I hope some of this brings you more success, it does hurt when you can’t see a way forward but love the game! Let us know how you get on mate..

Comment

Forgot to add, that to make this tactic work in the 1 day and 20/20 format, continually bowl at outside off stump, even if that complies with the Batman’s preference. Bowl at zero aggression from start to finish BUT remember for this to work effectively you must post a very decent total yourself with the bat (you don’t mention that your batting needs work)
            good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie View Post
              Forgot to add, that to make this tactic work in the 1 day and 20/20 format, continually bowl at outside off stump, even if that complies with the Batman’s preference. Bowl at zero aggression from start to finish BUT remember for this to work effectively you must post a very decent total yourself with the bat (you don’t mention that your batting needs work)
              good luck
              Any notes on the batting side e ? Using your bowling method I can restrict sides to 130 — 160 but I've never got close to chasing that.

Comment

Just bat sensibly especially with the 50 over game. Try and win the toss and bat second, that will give you the marker for how much you’ll need to score per over. Choose aggressive and v. aggressive batsmen. For 50 over games Start them on 3 bars then slowly work up to match the run rate when they’re settling, don’t try beating the run rate early on, just match it. Look to make around 40 in the first 10 overs. Ok sometimes there might be a maiden or a low scoring over, but don’t up aggression and start panicking trying to pull that back. You’ll just get out. Try to get to 35 overs on level pegging with as many wickets in hand as possible. Now start increasing aggression slightly to get steadily in front. It’s best to play the last 15 overs ball by ball as you can nip aggression back down after scoring a couple of 4’s etc plus play the 20 over game ALL ball by ball for that reason! The secret is to just stay in front, once a batsman gets out you can’t bring the next guy in close to max, he’ll not be able to hit a thing, that’s why it’s a bit of a balancing act. Around 40 overs with 5 or 6 wickets in hand accelerate now to get ahead and win the match. I can normally sew things up by the 45th or 46th over using this method! Good luck!

Comment

Good advice about the 50 overs batting. I start a little higher, 4 bars aggression, then move up once they are settled to 5, then play it by ear but never make big jumps.

I find it difficult to resist the temptation to keep upping an in-form and settled batsman’s aggression to counterbalance a slow scoring, out of form or new batsman at the other end. It can be better to just whack the guy struggling on max and let the next guy get in, but that depends on the match situation and if wickets or runs are most important.

For T20s I usually start on seven and stay there. If it’s overcast and you have a world class seamer against me I will drop to 6, same for a bower taking wickets. T20s are both harder in that you have to hit the ground running but also easier in that a bowler taking wickets has limited opportunities.

Also try players on different aggression levels to see how it works. I’ve had batsmen do far better starting on 6 bars in both formats than getting settled first in OD matches and equally batsmen who score at a higher rate in T20s when on 6 than 7.

Comment

Again fantastic advice. This is what keeps us all returning to this great game. So many methods and quirks! Just like in real life cricket I suppose. T20 cricket is more of a game of chance I find? I usually win a lot of 1 Dayer’s whereas the T20 is based more on chance? What do others think/find??

Comment

I find the OD matches more nuanced, but then again that’s true in real life so is probably me just transferring my own prejudices!

I do find that if I can settle on a OD team they will broadly deliver year on year, maybe one or two players hitting poor or brilliant form but less so in T20s. Especially the batting.

I’ve had a batting line up that one year can chase down anything or set sky high targets and then the next...the middle order has to be completely changed about or 2 and 3 can’t buy a run.

I also find that in both formats, but especially T20, that once you are into the knock-out stages anything can happen. One amazing knock of 30 off 12 balls can amount to little in a OD game but in a T20 can win the matches. Also if a star batsman is out for 2. Part of the appeal of T20s I suppose!

Comment

Working...
                      X