No announcement yet.

Batting in t20s still feels like an absolute mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Played for quite a few versions and once I hit a formula have found T20 matches fairly straight forward, though once you get to the knock-out stages anything can happen.
    I only bat first if the pitch is dead flat, otherwise always choose to bowl first.
    I pitch the ball outside off on a good length and 2 bar aggression. I set a pitch stacked on the off side with, for the fast bowlers, just a silly short leg, mid-on and deep backward square leg. I put men in at a kind of 1 1/2 slip and a short point. The last season I played I bowled the opposion out for less than 100 4 times, between 100-130 7 times, 130-140 4 times, 156 and 178 were the higgest scores. I lost 3 matches, but not the I conceded 15+.
    I bat, as advised with 2 bars below max unless we need to kick on or the pitch is dead flat. It is hard to gauge what averge max score is because I am usually chasing a total, but it is almost always 140-160, around 200 if the pitch is dead but suddenly getting all out for 46 isn't unheard of too!
    This doesn't work with all batsmen or bowlers, so I tend to just pick those it does work with.
    It is always worth rembering conditions too, a pitch doing a bit for the quick bowers with overcast conditions and a good medium pace bowler for example can keep the run rate very low.

Comment

Originally posted by cde View Post
      Played for quite a few versions and once I hit a formula have found T20 matches fairly straight forward, though once you get to the knock-out stages anything can happen.
      I only bat first if the pitch is dead flat, otherwise always choose to bowl first.
      I pitch the ball outside off on a good length and 2 bar aggression. I set a pitch stacked on the off side with, for the fast bowlers, just a silly short leg, mid-on and deep backward square leg. I put men in at a kind of 1 1/2 slip and a short point. The last season I played I bowled the opposion out for less than 100 4 times, between 100-130 7 times, 130-140 4 times, 156 and 178 were the higgest scores. I lost 3 matches, but not the I conceded 15+.
      I bat, as advised with 2 bars below max unless we need to kick on or the pitch is dead flat. It is hard to gauge what averge max score is because I am usually chasing a total, but it is almost always 140-160, around 200 if the pitch is dead but suddenly getting all out for 46 isn't unheard of too!
      This doesn't work with all batsmen or bowlers, so I tend to just pick those it does work with.
      It is always worth rembering conditions too, a pitch doing a bit for the quick bowers with overcast conditions and a good medium pace bowler for example can keep the run rate very low.
      Sounds a good a strategy as any, though wonder how well works at International level as the best players dont fall for the off stump tactic and walk across and hit to legs side it seems

Comment

I've found it works just as well in OD and T20 at both domestic and international level.

There is, quite rightly, no fail safe tactic and just as in the real world a good batsmen can cart you about the ground or a bowler take a fantastic 5-for. However even with the weekest domestic or international side you can usually manage to get to the knock-out stages.

Almost all my losses are through weak batting, the batsmen simply not being good enough rather than being unable to keep the score down. If a batsman gets going I change the bowlers more regularly or if they are going really well try a part time bowler and then usually get a few quick wickets once they are out. In both formats I ususally bowl the opposition out around 50% of the time.

Comment

Sounds like you got a good formula going. What team/s do you play as?

Comment

I've found it works just as well in OD and T20 at both domestic and international level.

There is, quite rightly, no fail safe tactic and just as in the real world a good batsmen can cart you about the ground or a bowler take a fantastic 5-for. However even with the weekest domestic or international side you can usually manage to get to the knock-out stages.

Almost all my losses are through weak batting, the batsmen simply not being good enough rather than being unable to keep the score down. If a batsman gets going I change the bowlers more regularly or if they are going really well try a part time bowler and then usually get a few quick wickets once they are out. In both formats I ususally bowl the opposition out around 50% of the time.
            So do you have 4 men on the offside boundary (non-powerplay of course)? I tried this in four matches with Kent earlier, and conceded a couple of large totals. I kept it outside off on a good length throughout the innings. During the powerplay I had deep square leg and deep third man, then after the powerplay I also had deep cover, deep backward point, and deep mid off, leaving mid on, short leg, silly point, and slip inside the circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy1984 View Post
              Sounds like you got a good formula going. What team/s do you play as?
              I am, unfortunately, a Glamorgan fan so tend to play as them most of the time. So while there is a couple of hopeful players it is usually a long road from the base of the table!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyfizzle0 View Post

So do you have 4 men on the offside boundary (non-powerplay of course)? I tried this in four matches with Kent earlier, and conceded a couple of large totals. I kept it outside off on a good length throughout the innings. During the powerplay I had deep square leg and deep third man, then after the powerplay I also had deep cover, deep backward point, and deep mid off, leaving mid on, short leg, silly point, and slip inside the circle.
                Hi there, the field looks like this (if I have managed to upload it correctly). I picked up the idea of taking out the 1st slip from a forum post a few years ago and then moved the player in a little. If they are a good fielder (pref. a wicket keeper) they or the keeper take most catches though you miss the odd one. The shortish point I moved in when I noticed how many catches were falling short of a man at point. It' surprising how many catches you can take there.

I might be very wrong but on the whole a batsman set to smack it for 4 or 6 in LO games than go for 2s or 3s. The 3rd man is there to stop them just running it down for 4 but all the deep fielders are there for the catch really.

Comment

Hi there, the field looks like this (if I have managed to upload it correctly). I picked up the idea of taking out the 1st slip from a forum post a few years ago and then moved the player in a little. If they are a good fielder (pref. a wicket keeper) they or the keeper take most catches though you miss the odd one. The shortish point I moved in when I noticed how many catches were falling short of a man at point. It' surprising how many catches you can take there.

I might be very wrong but on the whole a batsman set to smack it for 4 or 6 in LO games than go for 2s or 3s. The 3rd man is there to stop them just running it down for 4 but all the deep fielders are there for the catch really.
                  That's great thanks. Completely different to how I set it up aha, so I'll give it another shot. Which fielder do you have in the circle during the powerplay, and is it the same for spinners (if you use them)?

Comment

I just have the 3rd man inside the circle. The deep cover and deep backwards square take more catches than third man and I would rather get people!

Having checked, the fields for spinners are almost identical.

I should say that when there is a lh batsman and I have no lh bowler I have one over and the other around the wicket. Bowling over the wicket seems to get them out trying to smash it to the empty leg side (often with a few successes!)

Comment

I think this definitely has some legs. I played a T20 WC with India, and won every match easily. The highest score I conceded was 149-6. The other scores were 91, 126, 111, 106, 140 & 110. I bowled my opposition out in 6 out of 7 matches.

After this I played the WC again, using exactly the same team and methods, the only difference being I used the default fields. I failed to get out the group, losing 3 out 5 group matches. I conceded scores of 152 (chased down my total in 19.2 overs), 123, 122, 183 & 137. 4 out of 5 group matches I conceded more runs (most significantly) than I did in the first save.

Do you use exactly the same for 50 over matches cde? If so, is it just as successful as T20s?

Comment

I use the same for 50 over matches and it seems to work just as well.

There is always a bit more scope for a batsmen to get settled or a partnership to build in 50 overs but I find changing the bowlers or sticking with a bowler who is keeping the run rate down can help slow them down and bring on a wicket. Also a new fast bowler around the wicket to a RH batsmen who's taking you apart works surprisingly well given how few fielders are on the leg side.

I often use it in FC and test matches when I've set a just about achievable target for a team to face in the last innings with good success.

Hope this helps.

I've never found much of a sure fire method of batting, just tried different players and once a line up works ok stuck with it. Even then the same line up can struggle the next tournament and I have to shuffle players around again.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Have you found a difference in success since the latest update cde ? Smallish sample size, but teams seem to be scoring a lot bigger against me now, and don't think I've kept anyone under 120.

Comment

Hello jazzyfizzle0, with one thing and another I’ve only played a couple of LO matches so can’t tell yet. How about you?

I did play a strong Surrey team in the domestic T20 final and got smashed about, but that was mostly by Jason Roy so nothing too surprising. I also had a OD cup final and bowled them for very little, but the pitch was super lively and although the AI is probably better at it than me I would have struggled to make a good total batting first.

I’ve been quite lazy and using this for years, tweaking the field a little bit not much more so not sure I can complain if it isn’t working as well now!

Are they averaging a bit higher? I usually kept them to 120-130 with a few lower and a couple higher.
                            Last edited by cde; 08-25-2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Sureshot Maybe you can confirm if there has been a change but heavy offside field traps seem less affective the last few days as some teams that use them online I’ve been able to score more against.

might just be a conincidence but it would be good if this got fixed as in real life a batsman would just hit in the leg side if there were no fielders there

Comment

Hi cde , I've just finished my latest T20 season with Kent, and I finished bottom of the group, despite have a 4.5 star rating (which was higher than everyone else I played). This is my fourth year and my recruiting in the winter was mostly focused on the T20 side. So obviously disappointing to finish bottom.

The amount of runs conceded was noticeably higher per match, I'd say possibly as high as 40-50 runs higher on average than the previous year.

Taking into account Jamesy1984 's comment above too, I would say I'm almost certain there has been some sort of tweak in the latest patch.

Comment

Working...
                                X