Batting in t20s still feels like an absolute mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batting in t20s still feels like an absolute mess

So I picked up CC2020 for the first time since the 2017 version of the game. Most of the things I love about the game are still there, would love to see some new animations and still a few minor gripes (seamers getting LBWs from around the wicket etc...) but mostly the game I like.

But, I've been playing this game on and off for nearly a decade now and I still have absolutely no idea how to bat in t20s. I bowl against the AI and guys regularly come out and smash the face off the ball - either that or they're 25/5 - very little in between.

Yet when I bat... I needed 17 off 18 balls earlier with six wickets in hand, a piece of piss. Have both batsmen set ticking along nicely one about the 7th aggression bar. The over goes 004000. OK... no plays and misses, no chances, no edges - just dots. So I dial up the aggression to get the job done and... play and miss, 1 run off an edge, wicket, play and miss, play and miss, dot. I lost the game by five runs with four wickets in hand.

The first *six* sections of the batting aggression bar show a target run per over of below 7 - which essentially makes them worthless in t20. With the other formats I at least feel the batting aggression meter gives me some control over how I play, in t20s it just seems inadequete. All the more frustrating as when bowling I don't seem to see the AI have the same issues. I just think we need a lot more control over how we bat in t20s that's more than just... be slightly more aggressive. It doesn't really make much sense, never mind the fact that the top two aggression slots frequently seem to just be an excuse for a load of plays and misses.
    Last edited by bobbyb; 06-25-2020, 08:32 AM.

I think luck/chance/randomness have a bigger influence in the very short formats of the game, but this is also true in real life. If you battle it out for five days, it's just more likely that the luck will even out. 20 overs or 100 balls is so short that a few pieces of luck can significantly influence the outcome.

I mostly find the 20 over format fine. Occasionally, my opponents will have a bit of a collapse; occasionally I will (particularly against good bowlers with pitch/weather conditions that favour bowlers).

I find the T20 cup more difficult to win than the 4-day league, but I think all the AI teams do too (due to the greater randomness in this format).

Comment

I think this is a good post and I tend to agree.

There is definitely a lack of control over batting especially in regards to other formats. Full aggression is just an out button unless you get lucky so I find I'm just going two from the top then one from the top once settled or in the last few overs depending on remaining wickets with very little variation. Sometimes I score 200+, sometimes I score 115.

Comment

I think they should increase amount of singles and doubles

Comment

Gave it another try but I just can't play t20 on this game. Too many inexplicable maiden overs when you're batting and the AI seemingly playing a different game when they are. There's nine batting aggression bars - is there any use at all for about seven of them? Surprised this isn't raised more as an issue as I had these problems with the game 3-4 years ago.

Comment

I'm having a mare with the 50 over game but t20s have been ok. Any tips for bowling in the one day games?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post
              I'm having a mare with the 50 over game but t20s have been ok. Any tips for bowling in the one day games?
              Keep 1/2(max) bar aggressive field in the powerplay,then go all defensive with the field, you can raise 1 bar when a new batsman comes and till he's not set. Choose bowlers acc to conditions

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyb View Post
                Gave it another try but I just can't play t20 on this game. Too many inexplicable maiden overs when you're batting and the AI seemingly playing a different game when they are. There's nine batting aggression bars - is there any use at all for about seven of them? Surprised this isn't raised more as an issue as I had these problems with the game 3-4 years ago.
                Keep aggression bar 2 below the max level till a batsman scores 35-40 runs, then you can increase the aggression by 1 bar , and go max if he is well set till the last overs. You cannot just keep the bar full for a new batsman to the crease. If a batsman is struggling in scoring runs then you can increase his aggression.(if scoring <110 Sr with more than 20 balls)

Bowling - in powerplay keep 1 bar only in aggression, then decrease it after powerplay to 0(very defensive)

Comment

Originally posted by Dhruv View Post

Keep aggression bar 2 below the max level till a batsman scores 35-40 runs, then you can increase the aggression by 1 bar , and go max if he is well set till the last overs
                  Which is fine until your number 4 batsman is 2 off 10 balls with 2 below the maximum level...

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyb View Post

Which is fine until your number 4 batsman is 2 off 10 balls with 2 below the maximum level...
                    Then change the batsman

Comment

Yeah, sometimes it can be a lottery. When it happens constantly though I feel your pain.

I heard wickets in hand was key, always, to shorter formats?

Comment

Originally posted by FineLegatron View Post
                        Yeah, sometimes it can be a lottery. When it happens constantly though I feel your pain.

I heard wickets in hand was key, always, to shorter formats?
                        Yup, letting batsmen settle and having wickets in hand means you can score very fast at end

Comment

Has anyone had any luck with custom field settings since they changed the match engine in CC2018?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyfizzle0 View Post
                            Has anyone had any luck with custom field settings since they changed the match engine in CC2018?
                            I’ve got some one day fields to put more men on the boundary but I have no proof that it’s any more successful than using the default fields

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy1984 View Post

I’ve got some one day fields to put more men on the boundary but I have no proof that it’s any more successful than using the default fields
                              Yep that's pretty much what i do! But likewise it doesn't seem to impact my success rate, compared to when I just use custom fields

Comment

Working...
                              X